Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Stands

  • Dar
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
      Shorter Ridgepole Pipes

      If your supply store has 6' long pipe, you can easily exchange the
      ridgepole parts A) and B) with two 6' pipe lengths and thus eliminate
      the hassle of the 10' long pipe in the ridgepole described above.
      Likewise, you could make the uprights (part C) with 6' lengths instead
      of the 5' lengths used above--this would make the stand a bit over 6'
      high, allowing the rain canopy to be positioned even higher for a
      stand-up shelter!

      --- hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
      > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
      >
      > I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
      > it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
      > of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
      > my Honda Civic

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
        Yes, that seems to be the way to go. I have an HH and my fly connects
        right to my straps, and I typically don't put it any higher. However,
        having the option to do so is attractive.
        --
        Scott
        If man made it, don't eat it!!!

        Quoting Dar <rigpilot@...>:

        > Shorter Ridgepole Pipes
        >
        > If your supply store has 6' long pipe, you can easily exchange the
        > ridgepole parts A) and B) with two 6' pipe lengths and thus eliminate
        > the hassle of the 10' long pipe in the ridgepole described above.
        > Likewise, you could make the uprights (part C) with 6' lengths instead
        > of the 5' lengths used above--this would make the stand a bit over 6'
        > high, allowing the rain canopy to be positioned even higher for a
        > stand-up shelter!
        >

        > --- hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:
        >
        > [snip]
        >
        >> Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
        >> http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
        >>
        >> I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
        >> it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
        >> of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
        >> my Honda Civic

        > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
          hi scott

          the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
          <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/> either the spiral or winged stright ones
          Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.

          Sapere Aude,
          Arye P. Rubenstein

          It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

          Albert Einstein

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
            > . . . My biggest challenge is to find stakes
            > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
            >
            > scott

            see my diagram i posted a while back:
            (sharpstick photo folder if the link doesn't work)
            i thought i invented this setup but ralph pointed out that this is
            how circus tents are staked.
            i live in florida where we have a lot of loose sand. this basically
            uses a long primary stake that is itself guyed down from the top to a
            shorter one. this keeps the main stake from rotating and pulling
            straight out of the ground. (i use it a lot for large tarps that might
            have a lot of force on them, although i prefer to have small lines
            that will break before the tarp fails.)
            i think this system with a spiral dog stake as the secondary stake
            might hold up a hammock.
            btw, has anyone used single support poles with double guylines to
            hold up a hammock? it would be lighter carrying a single pole, but
            might be a bit unstable before your weight stabilizes it. a light line
            between the tops of the poles should apply enough tension on it to
            keep it in place.

            also see these threads:
            billy sharpstick
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
              How do you hook two together? Do you have any photo's?

              I imagine you connect them with a chain or something?
              --

              Quoting "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...>:

              > hi scott
              >
              > the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've
              > been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
              > <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/>
              > either the spiral or winged stright ones
              > Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.
              >
              > Sapere Aude,
              > Arye P. Rubenstein
              >

              > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
              > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
              >
              > Albert Einstein

            • Scott
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                Scroll down on this page to see my setup:
                http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

                I will try a piece of rebar, and an additional stake like in your
                photo and see how it works. I think I have a 20" piece of rebar, and
                a 16" spike. Maybe I will go to the hardware store tonight.
                --

              • eilismaura@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                  I would love more info on this