Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Stands

  • Douglas Campbell
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
      In an earlier post, someone used a simple long pole that was supported on
      the ends by two window sills. They then attached the hammock lines to the
      ends of the pole. The pole was rigid enough to withstand the compression of
      the hammock trying to pull the ends to the middle. The window sills simply
      had to support half the weight of the person in the hammock plus half the
      weight of the pole. It seems like this would be a great place to start with
      a design of a hammock stand that would be inexpensive and portable. The
      supports would not have to be as sturdy as some designs. Tripods?
      rope-staked bipods? Two SUV's (with padding on the ends of the poles)? Two
      really strong guys with nothing to do? Two bunkbeds? You get the idea. All
      the weight and strength would be in the horizontal pole. Just my two cents
      worth.

      Doug Campbell

      On 2/5/08, hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:

      > Hi gang,
      > It has been a long since I have posted to this forum, but I am glad to
      > be back. I have recently been experimenting with some homemade hammock
      > stands. Further info is in my blog: http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/
      >
      > I was wondering how reliable the method of two 4' 2x4's really is?
      > Has anyone in this group ever tried this with two boards? If so, what
      > are you using for stakes? My biggest challenge is to find stakes
      > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
      >
      > Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
      > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
      >
      > I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
      > it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
      > of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
      > my Honda Civic... :)
      >
      > --
      > scott
      > www.poisoninganation.com

      > "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On 10/19/06, Wynne Eden <stickbow@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will
      > > > support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an
      > > > ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you
      > want.
      > >

      > > a couple of 4 foot long 2 by 4s on top of the ground with 2 guy
      > lines each
      > > carefully staked in will also work. About $10
      > >

      > > Ralph Oborn

    • Dar
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
        Shorter Ridgepole Pipes

        If your supply store has 6' long pipe, you can easily exchange the
        ridgepole parts A) and B) with two 6' pipe lengths and thus eliminate
        the hassle of the 10' long pipe in the ridgepole described above.
        Likewise, you could make the uprights (part C) with 6' lengths instead
        of the 5' lengths used above--this would make the stand a bit over 6'
        high, allowing the rain canopy to be positioned even higher for a
        stand-up shelter!

        --- hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
        > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
        >
        > I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
        > it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
        > of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
        > my Honda Civic

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
          Yes, that seems to be the way to go. I have an HH and my fly connects
          right to my straps, and I typically don't put it any higher. However,
          having the option to do so is attractive.
          --
          Scott
          If man made it, don't eat it!!!

          Quoting Dar <rigpilot@...>:

          > Shorter Ridgepole Pipes
          >
          > If your supply store has 6' long pipe, you can easily exchange the
          > ridgepole parts A) and B) with two 6' pipe lengths and thus eliminate
          > the hassle of the 10' long pipe in the ridgepole described above.
          > Likewise, you could make the uprights (part C) with 6' lengths instead
          > of the 5' lengths used above--this would make the stand a bit over 6'
          > high, allowing the rain canopy to be positioned even higher for a
          > stand-up shelter!
          >

          > --- hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          >> Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
          >> http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
          >>
          >> I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
          >> it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
          >> of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
          >> my Honda Civic

          > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
            hi scott

            the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
            <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/> either the spiral or winged stright ones
            Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.

            Sapere Aude,
            Arye P. Rubenstein

            It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

            Albert Einstein

            --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@ ...>

            wrote:

            > On 10/19/06, Wynne Eden <stickbow@.. .> wrote:

            > > Two 10' wooden treated fence posts set in the ground 2' or more will

            > > support you very well. It isn't portable, but you can place it in an

            > > ideal spot in your yard to catch -- or not -- the sun any way you

            want.

            > a couple of 4 foot long 2 by 4s on top of the ground with 2 guy

            lines each

            > carefully staked in will also work. About $10

            > Ralph Oborn

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

          • Bill Keiser
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
              > . . . My biggest challenge is to find stakes
              > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
              >
              > scott

              see my diagram i posted a while back:
              (sharpstick photo folder if the link doesn't work)
              i thought i invented this setup but ralph pointed out that this is
              how circus tents are staked.
              i live in florida where we have a lot of loose sand. this basically
              uses a long primary stake that is itself guyed down from the top to a
              shorter one. this keeps the main stake from rotating and pulling
              straight out of the ground. (i use it a lot for large tarps that might
              have a lot of force on them, although i prefer to have small lines
              that will break before the tarp fails.)
              i think this system with a spiral dog stake as the secondary stake
              might hold up a hammock.
              btw, has anyone used single support poles with double guylines to
              hold up a hammock? it would be lighter carrying a single pole, but
              might be a bit unstable before your weight stabilizes it. a light line
              between the tops of the poles should apply enough tension on it to
              keep it in place.

              also see these threads:
              billy sharpstick
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                How do you hook two together? Do you have any photo's?

                I imagine you connect them with a chain or something?
                --

                Quoting "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...>:

                > hi scott
                >
                > the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've
                > been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
                > <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/>
                > either the spiral or winged stright ones
                > Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.
                >
                > Sapere Aude,
                > Arye P. Rubenstein
                >

                > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
                > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
                >
                > Albert Einstein

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Scroll down on this page to see my setup:
                  http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

                  I will try a piece of rebar, and an additional stake like in your
                  photo and see how it works. I think I have a 20" piece of rebar, and
                  a 16" spike. Maybe I will go to the hardware store tonight.
                  --

                • eilismaura@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                    I would love more info on this