Re: [Hammock Camping] Superstitions hike anyone???????

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi Robert,

      The Garlington Insulator lined with extra clothes or with plastic bags
      stuffed with crinkled newspapers or space blankets or leaves makes
      sense, because these items would prevent the convection problems of
      non-insulated air mattresses. So, that, I understand. The idea of a
      non-insulated air mattress working when suspended even though it doesn't
      work when on the ground, doesn't make much sense. Now, if the
      non-insulated air mattress is between the hammock and an external
      insulating layer (like an under-quilt), then it ought to work great!

      Each one of these methods has a snag from weight to damp leaves to
      leaves being unavailable. So, if you're trying to combine hammocking
      with light-weight backpacking, things can get a little
      tricky--especially if you're like me and need an under-quilt whenever
      temperatures drop below 28*C (84*F). When temperatures approach 10*C
      (50*F), I really notice the presence and absence of the insulating
      layer. Not enough insulation can make for really cold shoulders and
      heels. I almost immediately bought the JRB 3-season set--but sort of
      wish I'd spend the extra 40 or so dollars to get two No-Snivelers
      instead of one plus nest.

      I'd have to ask my dad about Ron Bridgman. I've not heard of one in the
      family. Since his name is spelled the right way, he probably is (was?)
      related. Once, on an international flight, my dad discovered that the
      man sitting next to him was an 8th cousin. Not that many Bridgmans
      about, really, but each one tends to cover a lot of ground traveling
      through places and careers.

      CL

      Blake Robert wrote:
      > All I can figure is that an airmattress on the
      > ground in in contact with something with a high
      > specific heat capacity results in a lot of conducted
      > heat away from the body while the same thing suspended
      > is in contact with something (air) with a lower
      > specific heat capacity results in less heat
      > flow---but, I won't fully believe it until I try
      > it---and I will carry a closed cell foam pad on the
      > same trip-just in case.
      >
      > For more information: use a good search engine and
      > the search terms: "The Garlington Insulator for the
      > Hennessey Hammock". Sometimes they suggest putting
      > crinkled newspaper, spare clothing, etc. as additional
      > insulation.
      >
      > There was once a Ron Bridgman who was the editor for
      > the National Speleological Society publication back in
      > the 1960's. Any relation????
      >
      > RB
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 23, 2008
        Thanks, wish I was there - than

        I guess being in the Midwest (Chicago), that is why we have have both flea markets and swap meets. The famous one here is the Maxwell Street Market which has been around for better than 100 years.

        Arye P. Rubenstein