Re: Superstitions hike anyone???????

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 2, 2008
      Wow, Robert, I wish I was there, I'd go for sure. I used to live in
      Flagstaff ( 2 years 83-85, on Roberta street I think it was) and in
      Phoenix in the early 70s. Flagstaff is where I learned to love
      backpacking, but I never had the pleasure of hammocking there. I think
      it would be a rush to sleep hanging from Aspens or Ponderosa pines
      along the Mogollon Rim! I miss it! I didn't realize there were places
      in the Superstitions with lots of trees, but I'm sure there would be
      at appropriate elevations. Sounds like you are going to have fun!
      Bill

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
      wrote:

      > The Flagstaff Hiking Club Superstitions hike is given
      > below:
      >
      > Superstition Wilderness Backpack
      >
      > When: Feb 16–18 2008

      > Flagstaff) From the Peralta Trailhead, we will hike
      > along the Dutchman's Trail over Miners Summit to
      > Whiskey Spring the first night (where there should be
      > water), a distance of about 5.5 miles, and then on to
      > Bluff Spring (more water) by way of the Red Tanks
      > Trail for the second night. Trip is limited to 15
      > people. Contact the leader, Jean Wilcox
      > (779-6647;526-2020;jwilcox@...) for
      > details.
      >
      > I had planned to do something more ambitious-hike
      > from the north end of the Superstitions via the Reavis
      > Ranch Trail 9.3 miles to Reavis Ranch area and
      > camp-lots of trees. Then hike 10.3 miles via Rogers
      > Trough to Angel Basin for one of the most pleasant
      > camping areas in the range-lots of trees. Then to
      > Coffee Flat Trail area and camp at Dripping Spring or
      > at Reed's water. Then, on to Peralta Trailhead to meet
      > the group and replenish supplies from their cars and
      > join them as above. After their loop-replenish at
      > Peralta TH again and reverse the approach---exc.,
      > maybe, go up Frog Tanks Trail to Reavis Ranch Trail
      > instead of via Rogers Trough.
      >
      > The Reavis Ranch area will involve camping at about
      > 4,860 feet elevation. All the rest will be at lower
      > elevation and, probably, not as cold. There has been
      > lots of precipitation recently-so, probably good
      > water.
      >
      > I will be camping in a Hennessy Hammock with no bug
      > net so I can sit up in the sleeping bag to
      > unzip---unless I find time to dig to the back of the
      > storage unit and get a 35 year old top zipper REI down
      > bag. I may carry a 1966 Vietnam issue hammock as a
      > Taco for use to hold airbags---though, I do not
      > understand how air matresses make you cold in winter
      > camping on the ground while airbags make you warm when
      > they are between two hammocks.
      >
      > As always happens-when you ask people many weeks in
      > advance there are many who want to go. As the hike
      > date approaches---one by one they drop out.
      >
      > If anyone wants to join me in the more ambitious
      > hike-please let me know. Robt. Blake

      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 23, 2008
        Thanks, wish I was there - than

        I guess being in the Midwest (Chicago), that is why we have have both flea markets and swap meets. The famous one here is the Maxwell Street Market which has been around for better than 100 years.

        Arye P. Rubenstein