Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock material

  • steve bretton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
      Thank you for your input!

      tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote: most people (including myself) would stay away from any non-breathable material for a hammock. but if that's all you have & you are just going to use that as a temporary test hammock in cool weather, you may get by.
      but i would put the coated (rubbery) side out, away from your skin.

      if you have any other resources for a non-coated material, that would be more likely to suit your needs. some of the wal-marts that have been around awhile still have a fabric/sewing center w/ a section of fabric that is $1.00 per yard.
      you only need about 3.5 to 4 yards for a hammock.

      i hope you will find what you need to give hammocking a fair chance. ...tim

      sbretton3 wrote:
      Hi All,

      I'm a complete newbie, and am thinking about making my first hammock
      to learn pros and cons. It will just be a trial and very inexpensive,
      so if I goof up, no big deal. Question: I have some coated ripstop
      nylon, is that a big no-no for for hammock base? Thanks, Steve