Hennessey Hammock Light Racer A-sym

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
      The review of the adventure racer on BGT seems to suggest that the
      Light Racer hammock would be fine for someone like me that babies
      their gear. Because I weigh 150lbs it doesn't sound like the
      durability is quite as much an issue as HH claims in their CYA. I
      wouldn't expect it to tolerate abuse, but I don't abuse my gear. It
      also seems like the velcro closure isn't an issue either according to
      the BGT owner review. Does anyone on this list own the Light Racer A-
      Sym? It seems like this version of the Ultralight Backpacker model
      (but made with lighter materials) is the way to go for me. The
      Adventure Racer's tarp sounds like it would be be too small, and the
      regular model is well...too damn heavy.
      -Aaron
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
        I own a light racer non A-sym I got a deal on it from Argear.com $129
        and it came with snake skins. I just checked and they are out of
        stock on it sorry. This last weekend I set up my light racer(LR)
        next to friend's ultralight backpacker asym (UBA). These hammocks
        are very similar. The UBA and the LR are the same lenght and the
        flies are almost identical except for the asym shape versus the
        diamond shape of mine. The UBA comes with tree huggers and has the
        mesh pocket on the ridgeline. I know the website says that the LR
        does not have velcro but mine does. I prefer the velcro because it
        is possible for your sleeping bag and pad to fall out of your hammock
        when your body weight is not closing the slit. Also I know that when
        the slit is velcroed no mosquitoes will be waiting for me when I
        climb in. The no slit option would only be good if you are the kind
        of person like adventure racers are that set up the hammock
        immmeditately get in and sleep. I don't miss the mesh pocket option
        I just hang my mesh headnet from the rideline. I may order tree
        huggers for mine because you will leave marks on a tree just using
        the spectra cord to tie up the hammock. Kinda violates that leave no
        trace ethic we are all striving for. The body of the hammock is a
        lighter material than the UBA's and I found it a more comfortable
        sleep surface then the UBA. Rain fly coverage iis about the same on
        both models and I am quite sure that comparing a asym LR to UBA it
        would be exactly the same. The LR finally leaves off the little
        plastic hooks that are on the hammock pullout ties of the UBA. Not
        really necessary anyway when I need to batten down the fly I thread
        the hammock pullout elastic throught the fly tie ring. This pulls
        the tarp in closer for better rain protection. This hammock is
        shelter of choice for the eastern US. After sleeping in hammock I
        will never sleep on the ground again......unless there are no trees.
        Any questions? I used your solo stove for the first time on this
        trip and loved it. Nice design. I did find a telescoping candle
        lighter from EMS that made it a breeze to light your stove. You
        should sell these. http://hike-advice.safeshopper.com/74/1289.htm?519
      • Aaron
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
          Thanks for the info. I ordered a BP UL A-Sym today instead of the
          the lighter one because the woman at HH told me that quite a number
          of people have reported that the Light Racers have ripped in the
          field, and really they aren't meant for backpacking. I'm gonna try
          the hammock thing again...I think I didn't give it a fair shake last
          time, and it would be nice to leave the Thermarest behind on solo
          hikes. Thanks also for the note about the Brasslite Solo, glad you
          like it. As for the lighter, I think that $13 for a lighter is
          excessive. I've seen these types for $5 at my hardware store. They
          weigh too much IMO and I haven't noticed any problems with the mini
          lighter I use. However, I may offer an inexpensive electronic
          lighter in the future imprinted with the Brasslite logo. It would be
          cool to offer a complete system. I'm also looking into having
          windscreens made to be included with the stoves, but it's turning
          out to be a bit of a hassle.
          -Aaron
        • Mark Bayern
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
            > Not
            >really necessary anyway when I need to batten down the fly I thread
            >the hammock pullout elastic throught the fly tie ring. This pulls
            >the tarp in closer for better rain protection.

            Well ... maybe. I tried that last week on the AT near Woody Gap during the
            storm that flooded Atlanta.

            The bottom material of the hammock is not waterproof. Water from the edge
            of the tarp was able to get to the outside (and then the inside) of the
            bottom material. Since I was also on in the inside of that material, we
            had a conflict! My quick solution was to disconnect the hammock tie outs
            -- this separated the hammock sides from the tarp and all was well.

            Other than that one problem both hammocks, my son's Scout and my HH
            UltraLight Asym were great. The tarp easily kept all rain out of the
            hammock -- the bug net never got wet during those large, windy, noisy
            thunderstorms.

            Mark
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
              > I'm gonna try the hammock thing again...I think I didn't
              > give it a fair shake last time, and it would be nice to
              > leave the Thermarest behind on solo hikes.

              Welcome to The Faith! Somebody teach him the first level handshake and
              passwords...

              In all seriousness, if you need any help working something out, just shout.
              The Hammock Gods all reside here.

              Shane

              www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.com
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                Aaron wrote:

                I'm gonna try
                > the hammock thing again...I think I didn't give it a fair shake
                last
                > time, and it would be nice to leave the Thermarest behind on solo
                > hikes.

                Welcome back Aaron. Hammock camping is not for everyone, but I
                honestly believe it is a lot more comfortable for me. I also find
                that many (most?) others find the same thing when they give it some
                thought and experiment a little. I applaud you for giving it a second
                chance.

                With your beautiful stoves, it is the system which is much more
                important than the individual components. (Cooking baked potatoes
                over an alcohol stove is setting oneself up for failure.) It is the
                same with hammocks. I know you have looked at the other parts of the
                hammock system, but others reading this may just be starting. For
                their benefit:

                Primary parts of the system for me are:
                - hanging the hammock right
                - getting the tarp up so no wet surprises wake me
                - staying warm

                After doing some experiments, I find the hammock is most comfortable
                when it is tied up rather tight between two trees. The HH has a very
                useful cord in the ridgeline to assure the right tightness. I sleep
                best when I tie the hammock so that cord is tight from the
                beginning. Then the secret is in sleeping positions. It is very
                comfortable with the HH to sleep with the shoulders on one side of
                the midline an with the feet on the other side. This catttycorner
                arrangement also keeps your feet from being right over the entrance
                slit.

                Similarly, sleeping on my side, I find it best to sleep diagonally.
                Ocassionally, I have had some knee pain in the top knee when on my
                side. this is likely from the knee being bent outward. I find this
                pain is immediately relieved by crossing my feet, allowing the top
                foot to be level with or below the bottom foot.

                The Asym hammock has an asymetrical tarp as well. It is worthwhile
                to double check the shape of the tarp and the hammock match. You
                have mentioned you sometimes want more protection for camping in the
                rain. Consider a larger accessory tarp to make the living area a
                little bigger if the weight will allow. This can be a replacement
                for the HH tarp or a separate tarp hung nearby.

                Regardless of the type of tarp, one has to find a way to keep water
                from running down the hammock support rope and getting the hammock
                wet. Tom Hennessy's SnakeSkins are a good way to assure this. The
                SS work pretty well to shield the hammock from the rain. Other
                methods involve hanging a small string from the support rope, a sock
                from the rope, or just tying the end of the hammock support rope back
                to the cord with an overhand knot. To visualize this, see the last
                picture here:

                http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/improvedknot.htm

                Staying warm is the most important and most difficult task in the
                hammock. You will be leaving the Thermarest at home. Great! The
                thermarest slides around too much in the hammock anyway. However I
                find that even in very mild weather, I still need a pad to keep from
                getting cold. There are a number of pads out there. My favorite is
                the inexpensive 27 inch wide pad sold at Target. It grips the cloth
                of the hammock and does not slide around. I believe it was Sgt Rock
                or Shane who first showed me how the pad and bag can be put in the
                upper body portion of the HH. After sitting down, the pad and bag
                are allowed to slide down to the foot end of the hammock. Oh! And
                many of us have turned from using the bag in its normal way to just
                using it as a quilt... bottom foot or so zipped up so we can pull it
                down with our feet, but the rest just a blanket over us. I went one
                further and built a little quilt that does not have any zippers to
                poke me or the hammock.

                I hope you have a great night's sleep. Again, you may have all this
                down pat already. If so I apologize for not knowing it from your
                other posts. In that case, this note might be of more use to someone
                intending to think about hammocks for the first time.

                Rick
              • Aaron
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                  FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I actually
                  made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago. They were as nice
                  as I'd get out of my oven at home. I used up less than 2oz of fuel
                  doing it, keeping the Turbo II stove going on low for over an hour.
                  So, watch what you say about failure with alcohol stoves. It all
                  depends on what you're using. I think I got your point, however...
                  Aaron

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > With your beautiful stoves, it is the system which is much more
                  > important than the individual components. (Cooking baked potatoes
                  > over an alcohol stove is setting oneself up for failure.)
                • robi dawson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                    Aaron,

                    cool!

                    i have decided to make my own stove for the trip mentioned in my last post. any ideas?
                    the one you talk about, is it commercial or self made?

                    point me in the right direction for making my own ...

                    thanks

                    robi

                    wrote:

                    > With your beautiful stoves, it is the system which is much more
                    > important than the individual components.  (Cooking baked potatoes
                    > over an alcohol stove is setting oneself up for failure.)

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    e23ad9.jpg
                    e23c10.jpg

                  • tcoug7
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                      > The Hammock Gods all reside here.

                      ...so you did like the name, huh? ;)

                      Tim
                    • Risk
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                        Aaron wrote:

                        FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I actually
                        made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.

                        Hey Aaron,

                        That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to come
                        up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove cooking
                        as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness and to
                        make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am seriously
                        impressed.

                        Just for the record, I did not list:
                        - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
                        - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
                        - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)

                        Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole turkey. Nah,
                        you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)

                        Rick
                      • Aaron
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                          LOL!!! I'm a vegetarian. The only way I'd ever have a deep fried
                          whole Turkey is if he took a lot of drugs and was "fried"
                          metaphorically. Steak...the only kind I use is for holding down a
                          tarp. As for the 18" pizza, you got that right...not possible. How
                          about a 5" deep dish instead? That's do-able!

                          wrote:
                          > Aaron wrote:
                          >
                          > FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I
                          actually
                          > made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.
                          >
                          > Hey Aaron,
                          >
                          > That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to
                          come
                          > up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove
                          cooking
                          > as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness and
                          > make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am
                          seriously
                          > impressed.
                          >
                          > Just for the record, I did not list:
                          > - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
                          > - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
                          > - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)
                          >
                          > Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole turkey.
                          Nah,
                          > you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)
                          >
                          > Rick
                        • Toad Hopper
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                            --- robi dawson <beanco@...> wrote:
                            > Aaron,
                            >
                            > cool!
                            >
                            > i have decided to make my own stove for the trip mentioned in my last
                            > post.
                            > any ideas?
                            > the one you talk about, is it commercial or self made?

                            see: http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html

                            Peace, toad

                            http://sbc.yahoo.com
                          • Risk
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                              Ah Ha! Some vegi problem recipees:

                              Perhaps mashed potatoes (real ones) would give you trouble.
                              Corn on the cob would be too easy. (thought stream in process)
                              Pumpkin pie? Even in an oven that might be hard (if you start with a
                              pumpkin)

                              I really should face what I already know: it is possible to cook
                              almost anything over an alcohol stove... I feel like I am betraying
                              myself trying to come up with counter examples.

                              The only thing I really would like to be able to cook over some
                              reasonable amount of alcohol, but can't, is fresh fish fillets fried
                              to a golden brown. Doing a couple is no big deal, but continuous
                              frying of a dozen or more fish for a total of 45 minutes to an hour
                              takes up a lot of fuel... but then as a vegetarian you'd just refer
                              me to first principles.

                              I really must invest in one of your beauties. I do like my little
                              $.75 cat stove much better than the $.00 pepsi stoves I built, but
                              your stoves just look so pretty. To be able to simmer is a real
                              plus. I'll beat myself with a wet noodle for not taking advantage of
                              your past blow-out sales. I'll keep a watchful eye out for them in
                              the future.

                              Rick

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
                              > LOL!!! I'm a vegetarian. The only way I'd ever have a deep fried
                              > whole Turkey is if he took a lot of drugs and was "fried"
                              > metaphorically. Steak...the only kind I use is for holding down a
                              > tarp. As for the 18" pizza, you got that right...not possible. How
                              > about a 5" deep dish instead? That's do-able!
                              >
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Aaron wrote:
                              > >
                              > > FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I
                              > actually
                              > > made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.
                              > >
                              > > Hey Aaron,
                              > >
                              > > That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to
                              > come
                              > > up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove
                              > cooking
                              > > as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness and
                              > > make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am
                              > seriously
                              > > impressed.
                              > >
                              > > Just for the record, I did not list:
                              > > - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
                              > > - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
                              > > - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)
                              > >
                              > > Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole turkey.
                              > Nah,
                              > > you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)
                              > >
                              > > Rick
                            • Aaron
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                                The Turbo stove prices will be coming down whenever I get my shipment
                                from asia and get that consistently up and running. Can't hold myself
                                to it, but most likely down about $15-20 from the current prices. I
                                don't expect there will be any future "blowout" sales. I did that to
                                rid myself of the Micro/Duo stoves. I had 160 of them and they
                                disappeared in 3 weeks! I was(am)shocked. But I barely made a profit
                                and I can't offer them for those prices long term. Also, they just
                                don't work as well as the Turbos. Progress marches on. Ya gotta' keep
                                up. If you like, send me an email and I'll let you know when the
                                Turbo prices drop.
                                wrote:
                                > Ah Ha! Some vegi problem recipees:
                                >
                                > Perhaps mashed potatoes (real ones) would give you trouble.
                                > Corn on the cob would be too easy. (thought stream in process)
                                > Pumpkin pie? Even in an oven that might be hard (if you start with
                                > pumpkin)
                                >
                                > I really should face what I already know: it is possible to cook
                                > almost anything over an alcohol stove... I feel like I am
                                betraying
                                > myself trying to come up with counter examples.
                                >
                                > The only thing I really would like to be able to cook over some
                                > reasonable amount of alcohol, but can't, is fresh fish fillets
                                fried
                                > to a golden brown. Doing a couple is no big deal, but continuous
                                > frying of a dozen or more fish for a total of 45 minutes to an hour
                                > takes up a lot of fuel... but then as a vegetarian you'd just refer
                                > me to first principles.
                                >
                                > I really must invest in one of your beauties. I do like my little
                                > $.75 cat stove much better than the $.00 pepsi stoves I built, but
                                > your stoves just look so pretty. To be able to simmer is a real
                                > plus. I'll beat myself with a wet noodle for not taking advantage
                                of
                                > your past blow-out sales. I'll keep a watchful eye out for them in
                                > the future.
                                >
                                > Rick
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
                                > > LOL!!! I'm a vegetarian. The only way I'd ever have a deep fried
                                > > whole Turkey is if he took a lot of drugs and was "fried"
                                > > metaphorically. Steak...the only kind I use is for holding down a
                                > > tarp. As for the 18" pizza, you got that right...not possible.
                                How
                                > > about a 5" deep dish instead? That's do-able!
                                > >
                                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > > Aaron wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I
                                > > actually
                                > > > made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.
                                > > >
                                > > > Hey Aaron,
                                > > >
                                > > > That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to
                                > > come
                                > > > up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove
                                > > cooking
                                > > > as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness
                                and
                                > > > make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am
                                > > seriously
                                > > > impressed.
                                > > >
                                > > > Just for the record, I did not list:
                                > > > - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
                                > > > - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
                                > > > - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)
                                > > >
                                > > > Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole
                                turkey.
                                > > Nah,
                                > > > you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)
                                > > >
                                > > > Rick
                              • Shane
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                                  > To visualize this, see the last
                                  > picture here:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/improvedknot.htm

                                  Hey... I like that... I'll have to play with that when I get home...

                                  Shane