[Hammock Camping] Re: How can I hang my hammock indoors?

    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 25, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
      <caralinb@...> wrote:

      > You are still exaggerating the risks of hanging. If they were as
      > serious as driving, we wouldn't be letting our kids play in
      hammocks--at
      > least, not without licenses, helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads.

      CL,

      You are missing the point I was trying to make with the comparison. I
      am sorry that I did not make that point clear enough. Here is the
      statement I made:
      --------------------
      "Bill,

      A lot of people don't understand the physics involved and aren't
      interested in learning it. No one has guaranteed it won't work, the
      problem is that without knowing a lot of the factors involved it is a
      crap-shoot with some serious risks. Maybe the best answer at this
      point is to propose a similar question that folks can better
      understand the risks involved with so they can draw their own
      parallels to the hammock question. How about this: "Will I be okay if
      I drive my vehicle without stopping and going no more than 30 mph
      through the first traffic light I come to?"

      Dave"
      -------------------

      The parallel was intended to be about making a decision without
      knowing enough of the particular details, not about the relative
      seriousness of a failure between the two or even the relative
      probability of failure between the two. Not everyone understands the
      physics involved with hanging a hammock between two walls and
      appreciate the technical details being discussed. But most everyone
      understands the physics involved with driving through an intersection
      with a traffic light and understand that some details need to be known
      before advising someone to "just do it". The situation you encounter
      when you want to drive through an intersection with a traffic light is
      not always the same, just as the situation you encounter when you want
      to attach a hammock between two walls is not always the same.

      My intention was that understanding that there are important details
      involved in making a decision about driving through an intersection
      with a traffic light might help everyone appreciate why so many
      details were being discussed about hanging a hammock between two
      walls. Apparently my intentions didn't work out.

      Dave
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 23, 2008
        Thanks, wish I was there - than

        I guess being in the Midwest (Chicago), that is why we have have both flea markets and swap meets. The famous one here is the Maxwell Street Market which has been around for better than 100 years.

        Arye P. Rubenstein