Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: How can I hang my hammock indoors?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 24, 2008
      You are still exaggerating the risks of hanging. If they were as
      serious as driving, we wouldn't be letting our kids play in hammocks--at
      least, not without licenses, helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads.

      There's a good chance of getting killed or having a serious
      fender-bender whenever blowing through any intersection with a
      light--regardless of traffic level, road condition, driver habits, car
      condition, etc. I was not considering busy intersections only. I live
      in a country where people routinely consider traffic lights at certain
      intersections 'optional' because the traffic there is low and visibility
      is good. Even for these intersections, drivers will slow down and look
      before driving through! (Since these traffic rules at intersections are
      'optional,' drivers also tend to check their rear-view mirrors for
      tailgaters before making sudden stops for a red light.)

      What's the stats on traffic accidents in the USA--don't most happen
      within 2 miles of home?

      As for hammocks, I consider the odds of getting killed in a falling
      hammocks less than the odds of getting killed by a lightening strike to
      my hammock or hammock tree. Hammocks fall more often, but lightening
      strikes are more deadly.

      Freak accidents, like that Ralph's googled story of the chimney, happen.
      How many of you would have thought that chimney safe?

      Hammock hanging is NOT a high-risk sport. A reasonable amount of care
      and intelligence is all that's required. Accidents happen. That's
      life. Making out a risk to be greater than it really is, is no way to
      get others interested in using hammocks or to get authorities interested
      in accepting hammocks on their grounds (i.e. Florida's band on hammocks).

      How many of you make your friends sign liability wavers, or discuss the
      risks of hanging, before letting them try out your hammock--or do you
      count on your home-owners insurance to cover damages?

      If hammocking is dangerous, then I don't understand why people walk on
      sidewalks.

      CL
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 23, 2008
        Thanks, wish I was there - than

        I guess being in the Midwest (Chicago), that is why we have have both flea markets and swap meets. The famous one here is the Maxwell Street Market which has been around for better than 100 years.

        Arye P. Rubenstein