sticky fly

  • bloffy13
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
      Okay, stop sniggering;-)
      I seem to have a real problem.
      About six months ago I purchased a Hennessy HYPERLIGHT BACKPACKER A-SYM.
      When I unpacked it, the fly seemed to be glued together and I spent
      about an hour unsticking it. I thought it was because it was new but
      the problem has continued.
      I normally live on the south coast of Western Australia which has a
      relatively cool (but not cold by Northern Hemisphere standards) climate
      so I don't think it has to do with being to hot.
      I am currently living in the tropics and my job means I have to spend
      nights in the jungle, which was the principal reason I bought the
      hammock in the first place.
      While I can set the hammock up in a relatively short period of time,
      the fly seems to take forever because I have to unglue it every time,
      which defeats the purpose of hanging out.
      Anyway, to make a long story short, has anyone else experienced this
      problem before and, if so, how the hell do you fix it.
      HELP lOTS
      BLOFFY
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
        Bloffy,

        I'm not laughing!

        This doesn't sound right at all! You probably should return this fly to
        Hennessey as a warranty replacement. Write them and ask about it.

        The quick solution is buy a fly or tarp or sheet of plastic to
        temporarily replace the problem fly. I don't know where you are, but a
        replacement from Hennessey in Canada is likely to take time.

        CL

        bloffy13 wrote:
        > Okay, stop sniggering;-)
        > I seem to have a real problem.
        > About six months ago I purchased a Hennessy HYPERLIGHT BACKPACKER A-SYM.
        > When I unpacked it, the fly seemed to be glued together and I spent
        > about an hour unsticking it. I thought it was because it was new but
        > the problem has continued.
        > I normally live on the south coast of Western Australia which has a
        > relatively cool (but not cold by Northern Hemisphere standards) climate
        > so I don't think it has to do with being to hot.
        > I am currently living in the tropics and my job means I have to spend
        > nights in the jungle, which was the principal reason I bought the
        > hammock in the first place.
        > While I can set the hammock up in a relatively short period of time,
        > the fly seems to take forever because I have to unglue it every time,
        > which defeats the purpose of hanging out.
        > Anyway, to make a long story short, has anyone else experienced this
        > problem before and, if so, how the hell do you fix it.
        > HELP lOTS
        > BLOFFY
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
          sounds like your tarp got treated with a bad mix of silicone, ie too
          much silicone. try sprinkling some talcum (baby) powder on it and
          rub it in good and leave it spread out with the powder on it a few
          days. probably need to doctor both sides. might help, might not?

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bloffy13" <bloffy13@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
            Good idea Coy, that is what I would try. The 2 approaches I have seen
            are the baby powder and spraying with the silicon they sell for fabric
            waterproofing treatment. I've used the baby powder approach (you do
            get the smell of the baby power for a while) when I have seam sealed
            tarps but don't know if I have used the silicon spray for that. It
            may have been Jack Stephenson that suggested the spray to take the
            tackiness of off areas where you seal seamed his silnylon tent.

            When I used the baby powder I made an applicator out of a folder over
            paper towel and put the baby powder on the paper towel to get a more
            even spread. It only takes a light coat.

            Dave

            > sounds like your tarp got treated with a bad mix of silicone, ie too
            > much silicone. try sprinkling some talcum (baby) powder on it and
            > rub it in good and leave it spread out with the powder on it a few
            > days. probably need to doctor both sides. might help, might not?
            >
            > Coy Boy
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bloffy13" <bloffy13@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Okay, stop sniggering;-)
            > > I seem to have a real problem.
            > > About six months ago I purchased a Hennessy HYPERLIGHT BACKPACKER A-
            > SYM.
            > > When I unpacked it, the fly seemed to be glued together and I spent
            > > about an hour unsticking it. I thought it was because it was new
            > but
            > > the problem has continued.
            > > I normally live on the south coast of Western Australia which has
            > > relatively cool (but not cold by Northern Hemisphere standards)
            > climate
            > > so I don't think it has to do with being to hot.
            > > I am currently living in the tropics and my job means I have to
            > spend
            > > nights in the jungle, which was the principal reason I bought the
            > > hammock in the first place.
            > > While I can set the hammock up in a relatively short period of
            > time,
            > > the fly seems to take forever because I have to unglue it every
            > time,
            > > which defeats the purpose of hanging out.
            > > Anyway, to make a long story short, has anyone else experienced
            > this
            > > problem before and, if so, how the hell do you fix it.
            > > HELP lOTS
            > > BLOFFY

          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
              Another "powdery" option is unscented talc (do a Google search) or fine,
              dry dirt.

              Rich

            • Johan van Dijk
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
                The powder and spray is a solution to your current problem, but as suggested
                before, contact Hennessy or the place you bought it from, I think you might
                get a replacement...

                Speed, size, volume, weight and completeness were things I loved with my
                Hennessy in tropical conditions (never had a bad experience with my
                Hennessy), although now I am (trying) to experiment with a Speer setup....

                Grtz Johan

                On Jan 22, 2008 10:12 AM, bloffy13 <bloffy13@...> wrote:

                > Okay, stop sniggering;-)
                > I seem to have a real problem.
                > About six months ago I purchased a Hennessy HYPERLIGHT BACKPACKER A-SYM.
                > When I unpacked it, the fly seemed to be glued together and I spent
                > about an hour unsticking it. I thought it was because it was new but
                > the problem has continued.
                > I normally live on the south coast of Western Australia which has a
                > relatively cool (but not cold by Northern Hemisphere standards) climate
                > so I don't think it has to do with being to hot.
                > I am currently living in the tropics and my job means I have to spend
                > nights in the jungle, which was the principal reason I bought the
                > hammock in the first place.
                > While I can set the hammock up in a relatively short period of time,
                > the fly seems to take forever because I have to unglue it every time,
                > which defeats the purpose of hanging out.
                > Anyway, to make a long story short, has anyone else experienced this
                > problem before and, if so, how the hell do you fix it.
                > HELP lOTS
                > BLOFFY

                mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

              • bloffy13
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 23, 2008
                  Hey guys,
                  thanks for all of those great bits of advice. As always this site
                  comes through time and again. I'll give the talc a try and also try
                  and get in touch with Hennessy's (again). I sent an email about a
                  week ago but I'm thinking it didn't get through. I'll let you all
                  know how I get on. Keep on keeping on
                  Bloffy

                  wrote:

                  > Okay, stop sniggering;-)
                  > I seem to have a real problem.
                  > About six months ago I purchased a Hennessy HYPERLIGHT BACKPACKER
                  A-SYM.
                  > When I unpacked it, the fly seemed to be glued together and I
                  spent
                  > about an hour unsticking it. I thought it was because it was new
                  but
                  > the problem has continued.
                  > I normally live on the south coast of Western Australia which has
                  > relatively cool (but not cold by Northern Hemisphere standards)
                  climate
                  > so I don't think it has to do with being to hot.
                  > I am currently living in the tropics and my job means I have to
                  spend
                  > nights in the jungle, which was the principal reason I bought the
                  > hammock in the first place.
                  > While I can set the hammock up in a relatively short period of
                  time,
                  > the fly seems to take forever because I have to unglue it every
                  time,
                  > which defeats the purpose of hanging out.
                  > Anyway, to make a long story short, has anyone else experienced
                  this
                  > problem before and, if so, how the hell do you fix it.
                  > HELP lOTS
                  > BLOFFY

                • Rosaleen Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 23, 2008
                    Bloffy-

                    The talcum powder idea may well solve your problem. And, Cara, Hennessy
                    Hammock has established operations in the New Zealand/Australia area, so
                    Bloffy wouldn't necessarily have to wait for a fly from Canada. At any
                    rate, Tom would want to know about any problems that customers might have
                    with his products. I suggest that Bloffy contact the Hennessys.

                    Regards,

                    Rosaleen

                    sticky fly
                    Posted by: "bloffy13" bloffy13@... bloffy13
                    Date: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:47 am ((PST))

                    Okay, stop sniggering;-)
[...]

                    Messages in this topic (6)

                    1b. Re: sticky fly
                    Posted by: "Cara Lin Bridgman" caralinb@... shokulan

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 23, 2008
                      Email Tom Hennesy he might have some ideas for you or replace the fly.
                      Short term just shake some talcum powder between the flay to keep it from
                      sticking.
                      Just curious does unsticking the fly cause it to leak?
                      Rogene

                      > About six months ago I purchased a Hennessy HYPERLIGHT BACKPACKER A-SYM.
                      > When I unpacked it, the fly seemed to be glued together and I spent
                      > about an hour unsticking it. I thought it was because it was new but
                      > the problem has continued.
                      > I normally live on the south coast of Western Australia which has a
                      > relatively cool (but not cold by Northern Hemisphere standards) climate
                      > so I don't think it has to do with being to hot.
                      > I am currently living in the tropics and my job means I have to spend
                      > nights in the jungle, which was the principal reason I bought the
                      > hammock in the first place.
                      > While I can set the hammock up in a relatively short period of time,
                      > the fly seems to take forever because I have to unglue it every time,
                      > which defeats the purpose of hanging out.
                      > Anyway, to make a long story short, has anyone else experienced this
                      > problem before and, if so, how the hell do you fix it.
                      > HELP lOTS
                      > BLOFFY
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • bloffy13
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 24, 2008
                        Hey all,
                        I was finally able to get in touch with Tom yesterday. The email
                        problem seemed to be at my end not theirs. Curse third world
                        internet.
                        Again thanks all for you hints etc, especially Rosaleen for
                        forwarding my queries to Hennessys for me.
                        Hennessy Hammocks have come through again and are more than happy to
                        send me out a new fly, which is excellent service.
                        Okay, enough advertising space. Hope you all manage to get out there
                        and hang out
                        Bloffy

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Email Tom Hennesy he might have some ideas for you or replace the
                        fly.
                        > Short term just shake some talcum powder between the flay to keep
                        it from
                        > sticking.
                        > Just curious does unsticking the fly cause it to leak?
                        > Rogene

                      • bloffy13
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 11, 2008
                          Gda'y guys,
                          Just thought I would round out this post. As I said earlier,
                          Hennessy's got in touch with me as soon as I sorted out the lousy
                          email from this end of the world. Straight away they were more than
                          happy to send me a replacement fly.
                          I received it from them only two and a half to three weeks later
                          which was amazing because mail from my family in Australia can take
                          anything up to five or six weeks sometimes.
                          Anyway, I got to use it over the past couple of days and it was
                          awesome. I slept like a log and it was so much cooler than the tent I
                          have been sleeping in, even with the fans on.
                          It rained heavily on the first night and I did the old feel-around
                          trick and, guess what, bone dry.
                          I've written a letter to Hennessy's thanking them for their prompt
                          service etc and they want to post it on their internet site - kewl, I
                          am a published writer ;-).
                          Gotta go but keep on keeping on and hang in there
                          Bloffy