Re: [Hammock Camping] Mosquitoes

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
      Out of curiosity I looked up the side effects of Permethrin. If any one is
      interested then take a look, it's not really pretty
      http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/permethrin/cox-report/cox.htm

      My apologize for the potential rant...

      Enjoy,
      Ian

      Not wanting to start the rants----- Really

      Please just note: no one is suggesting you use liquid Permethrin without
      protection (gloves).

      But once your clothes or hammock have been immersed in a dilute solution and
      thoroughly dried it is stable and does not affect mammals (according to my
      research).

      Before we start the rants and counter rants please make sure you are
      addressing how most people on the list are using it, as a repellent, NOT as
      an insecticide. It is applied to clothing (or hammocks) and dried.
      Please also be aware the US military uses it (not sure if that is a plus or
      minus recommendation)

      Ralph Oborn

    • pure mahem
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
        I would just like to ad that the side effects would be if you sprayed the stuff directly on your skin. The package specificlly states that it is to be sprayed on gear only! As long as you follow the directions you should be okay. The only concern would be to make sure you don't breath the stuff in or expose your skin to it when you treat your gear with the stuff.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
          ...and sadly we now have to take into account that an increasing % of
          mozzies in the east (and rapidly expanding westwards) carry West Nile
          virus. Not a killer of the average fit person, but who wants it? And I
          suspect things will get worse as the climate warms......

          Gordon