RE: Hammock Camping Hennessey Model Question

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
      > Who is Ed?

      Shocking! Simply shocking! :)

      Ed is our moderator here. He wrote the book on hammock camping - literally.
      Check out www.hammockcamping.com.

      Shane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
        Message
        My lightest hammock is 2 lbs--that's the hammock, bug net and 8X10 rain canopy. Check 'em out at: http://www.speerhammocks.com       ...Ed
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
          Hi Aaron,

          Nice to see you over here.

          Ed is Ed Speer, the moderator of the group, and great resource for
          the info as well as Shane.

          One option you may choose to consider (it is the path I took) is to
          use the lightest hammock you can find and then add a more practical
          sized tarp over it. Like you, I did not find the diamond shaped
          tarps on the HHs to be worry free.

          Ed recommends an 8 foot wide, 10 foot long tarp hung as an A frame
          over the hammock from the same trees from which the hammock hangs. I
          have now done two AT section hikes with a tarp 5 feet wide and 10
          feet long. It gives adequate coverage to sit in the hammock, cook,
          pack, and (of course) sleep. My silnylon tarp is 10.4 oz including
          the tie outs, but not including the 4 stakes I use. My present
          hammock, a double bottomed 1.1 oz version four feet wide, including
          bug net and straps weighs 19.6 oz. You can go a bit lighter if you
          sleep directly on the pad in the hammock and skip a bug net. Then
          the hammock is in the 12 oz range.

          But, getting back to what Shane said, Tom Hennessy is incredibly easy
          to work with and has the products which many find perfect for their
          needs.

          Rick