Mosquitoes

  • Flávio
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
      Hi.

      I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
      that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
      doesn't have the bug net below.

      Thanks. I apologize for my English horrible.

      Flávio

      São Paulo - Brazil
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
        > I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
        > that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
        > doesn't have the bug net below.

        The mosquitoes in the Big Thicket (Eastern Texas, US). Are not able to
        penetrate my HH UL-Asym. It is an 'interesting' experience to hear
        them all around you, and be free from bites.

        I have heard reports that mosquitoes are able to penetrate the
        materials used on other hammocks.

        Mark
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
          Hi Flavio,

          The Hennessey Hammock website
          <http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-expedition.html> describes which
          hammocks are supposed to resist most mosquitos: Backpacker Asym and
          Explorer ultralight. This webpage also talks about how mosquitos are
          not supposed to be able to bite through two layers of cloth, even when
          in a hammock without a mosquito-resistant bottom (like the HH Hyperlight
          Asym). So, if you are wearing something when you are in the hammock,
          you should be ok. At least one person in a hammock forum complained
          about mosquito bites on her arms and shoulders--that was because she was
          wearing a sleeveless shirt. The webpage also recommends treating the
          hammock with Permethrin to keep off the super-persistent mosquitoes.

          I use my HH backpacker-asym in Taiwan (2 layers of cloth, no
          permethrin). We've some aggressive mosquitoes here and they've yet bite
          through.

          Brazilian mosquitoes, however, may have special machismo! You'll have
          to let us know.

          CL

          Flávio wrote:
          > Hi.
          >
          > I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
          > that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
          > doesn't have the bug net below.
          >
          > Thanks. I apologize for my English horrible.
          >
          > Flávio
          >
          > São Paulo - Brazil
        • Johan van Dijk
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
            I too had no mosquitoes biting through my HH ULBP Asym (which is short for
            Hennessy Hammock UltraLight BackPacker Asymmetrical) while using it in S.E.
            Asia or Central America...

            This week my Speer presents arrived (BIG THANK YOU!!!!), but alas no time
            yet to use the hammock, winter tarp and peapod....

            I do have to drill some holes on a lower height for bolts then my HH in my
            room....

            The peapod is HUGE and WARM (couldn't resist using it on my bed)

            Grtz Johan

            On Jan 21, 2008 2:38 PM, Flávio <arrozcompequi@...> wrote:

            > Hi.
            >
            > I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
            > that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
            > doesn't have the bug net below.
            >
            > Thanks. I apologize for my English horrible.
            >
            > Flávio
            >
            > São Paulo - Brazil

            mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
            email: gonewalkabout2003@...

            http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
            http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

          • Flávio
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
              <caralinb@...> wrote:

              Hi Mark and Cara.

              My network is made of nylon 70D because it does not make a intense
              cold here, beyond what it would prevent the sweat from leaving the
              tissue. When it is cold, I use an insulator self-inflating to protect me.
              Some mosquito bites can even through the jeans, therefore, we use bug
              net below the network too.

              Flávio.

              > Hi Flavio,
              >
              > The Hennessey Hammock website
              > <http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-expedition.html> describes which
              > hammocks are supposed to resist most mosquitos: Backpacker Asym and
              > Explorer ultralight. This webpage also talks about how mosquitos are
              > not supposed to be able to bite through two layers of cloth, even when
              > in a hammock without a mosquito-resistant bottom (like the HH
              Hyperlight
              > Asym). So, if you are wearing something when you are in the hammock,
              > you should be ok. At least one person in a hammock forum complained
              > about mosquito bites on her arms and shoulders--that was because she
              was
              > wearing a sleeveless shirt. The webpage also recommends treating the
              > hammock with Permethrin to keep off the super-persistent mosquitoes.
              >
              > I use my HH backpacker-asym in Taiwan (2 layers of cloth, no
              > permethrin). We've some aggressive mosquitoes here and they've yet bite
              > through.
              >
              > Brazilian mosquitoes, however, may have special machismo! You'll have
              > to let us know.
              >
              > CL

              The mosquitoes in the Big Thicket (Eastern Texas, US). Are not able to
              penetrate my HH UL-Asym. It is an 'interesting' experience to hear
              them all around you, and be free from bites.

              I have heard reports that mosquitoes are able to penetrate the
              materials used on other hammocks.

              Mark

              > Flávio wrote:
              > > Hi.
              > >
              > > I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
              > > that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
              > > doesn't have the bug net below.
              > >
              > > Thanks. I apologize for my English horrible.
              > >
              > > Flávio
              > >
              > > São Paulo - Brazil

            • Flávio
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
                Hi Mark and Cara.

                My hammock is made of nylon 70D because it does not make a intense
                cold here, beyond what it would prevent the sweat from leaving the
                tissue. When it is cold, I use an insulator self-inflating to protect me.
                Some mosquito bites can even through the jeans, therefore, we use bug
                net below the hammock too.

                Flavio.

                <caralinb@...> wrote:

                > Hi Flavio,
                >
                > The Hennessey Hammock website
                > <http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-expedition.html> describes which
                > hammocks are supposed to resist most mosquitos: Backpacker Asym and
                > Explorer ultralight. This webpage also talks about how mosquitos are
                > not supposed to be able to bite through two layers of cloth, even when
                > in a hammock without a mosquito-resistant bottom (like the HH
                Hyperlight
                > Asym). So, if you are wearing something when you are in the hammock,
                > you should be ok. At least one person in a hammock forum complained
                > about mosquito bites on her arms and shoulders--that was because she
                was
                > wearing a sleeveless shirt. The webpage also recommends treating the
                > hammock with Permethrin to keep off the super-persistent mosquitoes.
                >
                > I use my HH backpacker-asym in Taiwan (2 layers of cloth, no
                > permethrin). We've some aggressive mosquitoes here and they've yet bite
                > through.
                >
                > Brazilian mosquitoes, however, may have special machismo! You'll have
                > to let us know.
                >
                > CL
                >
                > Flávio wrote:
                > > Hi.
                > >
                > > I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
                > > that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
                > > doesn't have the bug net below.
                > >
                > > Thanks. I apologize for my English horrible.
                > >
                > > Flávio
                > >
                > > São Paulo - Brazil

              • Richard Perlman
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
                  I did a section of the Appalachian Trail in Massachusetts a couple of
                  summers ago and treated the bottom of my
                  Hennessey Hyperlight Asym with Permethrin. No mosquito problems. I
                  also treated all my day time clothing. As dusk hit and the "mozzys"
                  appeared, everyone else ran for cover. I was not bothered. The stuff
                  really works!

                  Rich

                  Flávio wrote:
                  > Hi.
                  >
                  > I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
                  > that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
                  > doesn't have the bug net below.
                  >
                  > Thanks. I apologize for my English horrible.
                  >
                  > Flávio
                  >
                  > São Paulo - Brazil

                • ian toal
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
                    Hello All,

                    I like the idea of using bug netting or cloth as well. I have found "ALL Terrain" kids herbal armor to work very well here in northern NH. It can get pretty buggy in the early summer and I have a pretty low tolerance for bitting insects. I've even found sasafras leaves to work in a pinch against black flies. I really question using chemicals as bug repellent. It's not just our bodies we're negatively effecting but the environments that we enjoy being in.

                    Out of curiosity I looked up the side effects of Permethrin. If any one is interested then take a look, it's not really pretty http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/permethrin/cox-report/cox.htm

                    My apologize for the potential rant...

                    Enjoy,
                    Ian

                    Flávio <arrozcompequi@...> wrote: Hi Mark and Cara.

                    <caralinb@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Flavio,
                    >
                    > The Hennessey Hammock website
                    > <http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-expedition.html> describes which
                    > hammocks are supposed to resist most mosquitos: Backpacker Asym and
                    > Explorer ultralight. This webpage also talks about how mosquitos are
                    > not supposed to be able to bite through two layers of cloth, even when
                    > in a hammock without a mosquito-resistant bottom (like the HH
                    Hyperlight
                    > Asym). So, if you are wearing something when you are in the hammock,
                    > you should be ok. At least one person in a hammock forum complained
                    > about mosquito bites on her arms and shoulders--that was because she
                    was
                    > wearing a sleeveless shirt. The webpage also recommends treating the
                    > hammock with Permethrin to keep off the super-persistent mosquitoes.
                    >
                    > I use my HH backpacker-asym in Taiwan (2 layers of cloth, no
                    > permethrin). We've some aggressive mosquitoes here and they've yet bite
                    > through.
                    >
                    > Brazilian mosquitoes, however, may have special machismo! You'll have
                    > to let us know.
                    >
                    > CL
                    >
                    > Flávio wrote:
                    > > Hi.
                    > >
                    > > I would like to know how you do to protect themselves from mosquitoes
                    > > that bite your butt over the hammock, since that the Hennessy Hammock
                    > > doesn't have the bug net below.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks. I apologize for my English horrible.
                    > >
                    > > Flávio
                    > >
                    > > São Paulo - Brazil

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
                      Out of curiosity I looked up the side effects of Permethrin. If any one is
                      interested then take a look, it's not really pretty
                      http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/permethrin/cox-report/cox.htm

                      My apologize for the potential rant...

                      Enjoy,
                      Ian

                      Not wanting to start the rants----- Really

                      Please just note: no one is suggesting you use liquid Permethrin without
                      protection (gloves).

                      But once your clothes or hammock have been immersed in a dilute solution and
                      thoroughly dried it is stable and does not affect mammals (according to my
                      research).

                      Before we start the rants and counter rants please make sure you are
                      addressing how most people on the list are using it, as a repellent, NOT as
                      an insecticide. It is applied to clothing (or hammocks) and dried.
                      Please also be aware the US military uses it (not sure if that is a plus or
                      minus recommendation)

                      Ralph Oborn

                    • pure mahem
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 21, 2008
                        I would just like to ad that the side effects would be if you sprayed the stuff directly on your skin. The package specificlly states that it is to be sprayed on gear only! As long as you follow the directions you should be okay. The only concern would be to make sure you don't breath the stuff in or expose your skin to it when you treat your gear with the stuff.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 22, 2008
                          ...and sadly we now have to take into account that an increasing % of
                          mozzies in the east (and rapidly expanding westwards) carry West Nile
                          virus. Not a killer of the average fit person, but who wants it? And I
                          suspect things will get worse as the climate warms......

                          Gordon