Love my Trek-Light so much it's now everyday furniture

  • Rebecca D Beckwith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
      I'm always going about how much I love hammock camping and how well I
      sleep in my Trek-Light. Went out of town a couple of weeks ago to ride
      a scooter from Atlanta to Houston for a friend and came home to a
      suprise. My daughter and her husband did a room makeover for me and
      replaced my bed with my Trek-Light. They had purchased the modular
      metal pieces that use 4x4 lumber to make a stand and put my hammock up
      in my room.

      I'm THRILLED....however, I'm having a heck of a time keeping the
      grandsons from wanting to sleep with me every night. We've finally
      worked out a system where they take turns on alternating Friday
      nights. So far it's been a hoot.

      Only problem is that I can get out of the hammock just fine in the
      middle of the night but can't get back in without picking up the
      younguns. They say they'd rather be woken up than not sleep in the
      hammock with me so I guess it all works out.

      Life is good!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
          Rebecca,

          Congratulations on the make-over!

          I have a travel hammock (looks a lot like a trek-light) that we hang in
          our room.

          The main door is a steel frame with tabs extending out through which to
          place pins to hold the door in place. There are tabs on left and right,
          but our door only needs the left one, so there's a loop through the
          right hinge and the hammock ropes go clip onto it via a biner.

          The other half of the solution is a bit hard on the bathroom door
          hinges, but it works! I've a 1 inch by 1 inch by 6 foot piece of wood
          that fits between the wall and the hinges inside the bathroom. The
          other end of the hammock clips into the loop of rope around the wood.

          This arrangement is surprisingly solid. There are times when it's held
          both me and my husband (a cumulative weight of about 350 pounds).

          We can't leave the hammock up all the time (aw shucks!) because the cat
          has picked up a bad habit of playing with the velco and the strings of
          the JRB nest hanging under the hammock. I tied them up, but she still
          attacks them.

          We won't consider getting rid of the cat, because when I'm IN the
          hammock, she makes pretty good heater. I use a regular down comforter
          instead of the JRB no-sniveller, This is because I do not want to test
          how well the no-sniveller will hold up to the cat.

          The cat must be like your grand-sons, she'd much rather sleep in the
          hammock ON me than undisturbed elsewhere.

          When in the USA during the summer, I often have my niece squeezing her
          way into the HH (set up outside) to sleep with me. She's a lot bigger
          and warmer than the cat.

          CL
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2008
            cara, you must have some really sturdy door hinges<g>.
            but for most i've seen, i'd stay away from using door hinges. it may work on some door hinges, & it may work for a while on others, but some door hinges may rip right off.
            that's asking a lot from most common door hinges.
            i've seen examples of hammocks pulling large eye screws out of 2x4s & even breaking door frames. there's a lot of force pulling on the end of an occupied hammock. ...tim

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2008
              Hi Tim,

              Thanks for the concern and warning.

              I'm not hanging from the door hinges--at least not like any you're
              likely to see in the USA. I'm hanging from the door frame (steel) and
              from a piece of wood. For this wood, the door hinge (cheap aluminum)
              and frame (cheap plastic) are only a small part of the support. The
              real reason why it works is because the wood is blocked from coming out
              of the bathroom by the cement frame around the door.

              I've been sleeping suspended this way about two months, now. Hanging
              angle is 45-50*.

              One of these days, we'll borrow a drill and, for the wood end but
              probably not for the steel door end, work out an upgrade based on
              Gerzon's recommendation (posted sometime in September 2007): inserting a
              8X40 mm plug into our concrete wall.

              CL