Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Speer ridge line

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 11, 2008
      Forgetting about the trees, what's scary to me is that these force
      numbers are not particularly bounded but the strength of the
      components do have bounds. In the final analysis, I would want to set
      up a hammock with a structural ridgeline like it didn't have a
      structural ridgeline unless I couldn't tie it off that high.

      Dave

      Thanks Dave and Tim,

      I'll look at your thoughts when I get home tonight.
      For those of you with an engineering bent...

      What we are doing is calculating the various forces by doing free body
      diagrams of the connection at the tree and at the ridgeline junction. Basic
      Statics.
      Note: as you get less and less sag, the forces approach infinity. :]

      Anybody else wanna play?

      Does anybody have any numbers about how much pressure it takes to crush the
      bark of a tree?
      I guess I could dig up a penetrometer and try it. :]

      Ralph

      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 16, 2008
        I updated the file I previously posted by including some sketches to
        help explain what I said. It messes up the previous link but it is
        the same name under Youngblood's folder and this should be the link

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8BuOR_aqY-p99MHhoq9u40Wsacy4XOTpIn-o2G5KOtGM3Qmc5TVomj0dsM1O-YgxdlduT1FrTAl5pfYja8Sy1M4AvkWhng/Youngblood%27s/Structural%20Ridgelines-%2001162008.doc

        Dave