Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Speer ridge line

    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 11, 2008
      hey dave... i've been wondering about an idea that someone else brought up a while back.

      what if you had a length of webbing that went from tree to tree.
      at two points that were the right distance apart, there would be attachment loops sewn onto the webbing were the hammock would be attached.

      but as i type this description, for the first time, it has occurred to me what would happen.

      unless the long ridge line webbing was extremely strong & tightly stretched, it would sag in the middle (between the hammock attachment points) when the hammock was weighted.

      ...so never mind:~}

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      Ralph,

      I uploaded a spreadsheet to the Files section (
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/files/Youngblood%27s/Structural%20R\
      idgeline.xls ) where I try to show what my concerns are with some hard
      numbers. Obviously I had to make a few guesses and approximations,
      but I believe the general jest is correct and is something to be
      concerned with. For instance, I don't think you want to just tie a
      hammock with a structural ridgeline off at some height and then
      tighten the suspension lines until it hangs at the height you want
      without taking into consideration the distance between supports. The
      sloppier one is with selecting that height, the higher their
      likelihood of ending up with some very high forces.

      Forgetting about the trees, what's scary to me is that these force
      numbers are not particularly bounded but the strength of the
      components do have bounds. In the final analysis, I would want to set
      up a hammock with a structural ridgeline like it didn't have a
      structural ridgeline unless I couldn't tie it off that high.

      Dave

      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 16, 2008
        I updated the file I previously posted by including some sketches to
        help explain what I said. It messes up the previous link but it is
        the same name under Youngblood's folder and this should be the link

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8BuOR_aqY-p99MHhoq9u40Wsacy4XOTpIn-o2G5KOtGM3Qmc5TVomj0dsM1O-YgxdlduT1FrTAl5pfYja8Sy1M4AvkWhng/Youngblood%27s/Structural%20Ridgelines-%2001162008.doc

        Dave