[Hammock Camping] Re: Speer ridge line

    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 11, 2008

      > dave, do you tie the slippery bow line around the tree w/ webbing?
      > i guess i've seen you do that but i didn't catch it. is it ever
      hard to release?

      Tim,

      That is a good point and one that I had forgotten about. Some webbing
      and some ropes release easily when the tension has been removed after
      they have been cinched tight with a slippery bow line, some release
      but not easily, and some might not release at all.

      I was interested in how high hammocks were tied off with structural
      ridgelines versus how high hammocks were tied off without structural
      ridgelines to gain a better understanding of how much a structural
      ridgeline affected the forces or tensions on the suspension lines in
      actual use because it can vary by a quite a bit. From a physics
      standpoint, one way to look at a structural ridgeline is that it
      trades off how high you tie off on the trees with how much force you
      apply to the suspension lines and the trees.

      Dave
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 16, 2008
        I updated the file I previously posted by including some sketches to
        help explain what I said. It messes up the previous link but it is
        the same name under Youngblood's folder and this should be the link

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8BuOR_aqY-p99MHhoq9u40Wsacy4XOTpIn-o2G5KOtGM3Qmc5TVomj0dsM1O-YgxdlduT1FrTAl5pfYja8Sy1M4AvkWhng/Youngblood%27s/Structural%20Ridgelines-%2001162008.doc

        Dave