ridgelines

  • David Elliott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2008
      Hi all,
      I use 7/64 Amsteel spectra that I got from a marine
      supply place. I think it was only 25 cents a foot, and it's 1200 lb test. I
      use it for my tarp, which I hang first and take down last if it's raining. At
      the edges of the tarp I have two medium-weight carabiners (like the ones
      Trek-light sells marked "500 kg") into which I can clip my hammock ropes. The
      tarp ropes connect to tree straps with two more carabiners and are adjustable
      because they are hollow braid and the size of the loop is adjustable when it's
      not under tension. The hammock ropes are also hollow-braid spectra, so I can
      also adjust them, if needed, though I seldom do. The small diameter of the main
      tarp rope (which functions like a ridgeline) means I can use a rope long enough
      to reach trees pretty far apart if necessary. The advantages for me are: (1)
      compact and light weight rigging, despite the extra length, (2) not needing to
      put my tree straps 10 feet off the ground if the trees are far apart (Dave, what
      is this "level ground" thing you mentioned?- I'm in West Virginia.), (3) quick
      and relatively dry setup and takedown because no knots, and (4) ease of setting
      up my hammock without the tarp and ridgeline if the weather's nice (though I
      can't use trees very far apart). I often do this during the day at mealtimes or
      just stopping along the trail for 20 minutes to contemplate the treetops.
      Thanks for all the great ideas shared on this forum.
      David Elliott