Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Speer ridge line

    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 10, 2008
      dave, do you tie the slippery bow line around the tree w/ webbing?
      i guess i've seen you do that but i didn't catch it. is it ever hard to release?

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      Ralph,

      I don't use a structural ridgeline with my hammocks. My strategy is
      to use hammock suspension lines long enough so that I can tie off to
      trees 2 feet in diameter that are separated by 12 feet and trees 1
      foot in diameter that are separated by 18 feet. I tie roughly 5 foot
      high at 12 feet separation, 6 foot at 15 feet separation and 7 foot
      high at 18 feet separation... for level ground of course. I use
      slippery bow lines on my suspension lines so I can usually slip the
      line up and down the tree a little bit for fine adjustments and the
      slippery bow line is easy enough to untie and re-tie for fine
      adjustments in the length of the suspension lines.

      What strategy are you using?

      Dave

      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 16, 2008
        I updated the file I previously posted by including some sketches to
        help explain what I said. It messes up the previous link but it is
        the same name under Youngblood's folder and this should be the link

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8BuOR_aqY-p99MHhoq9u40Wsacy4XOTpIn-o2G5KOtGM3Qmc5TVomj0dsM1O-YgxdlduT1FrTAl5pfYja8Sy1M4AvkWhng/Youngblood%27s/Structural%20Ridgelines-%2001162008.doc

        Dave