Hennessey Model Question

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
      I once tried out the Ultralight A-Sym and ended up returning it
      because of newbie problems such as not finding adequate sites with
      trees properly spaced, too cold at nights, etc. It was also heavier
      than my tarp. I'm ready to try a hammock again and am considering
      either the adventure racer (15 oz) or the LightRacer A-sym (1lb 4
      oz). My question is: what are the major experiential differences
      between the two? The specs don't seem to be that different and I can
      get some of my answers at the HH site. I'm interested in hearing from
      someone that's actually tried both. I know it's a longshot, but
      hey...if I can't get it answered on a hammock site I'm not likely to
      get it elsewhere.
      -Aaron
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
        > My question is: what are the major experiential
        > differences between the two?

        Your best bet on getting a good answer on this is going to be to call Tom
        Hennessy directly. Just dial the number on the website and ask for him if
        he doesn't answer the phone. If Ann answers, you can ask her two. They're
        both very nice people.

        You may also want to consider one of Ed's hammocks. What's the lightest
        hammock you make Ed?

        Shane
      • Aaron
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
          My main concern is that the canopy on the adventure racer is
          significantly smaller. I need something reliable to cook under in the
          rain, and it seems like it might be a bit small to move around much
          under. Who is Ed?

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
          > > My question is: what are the major experiential
          > > differences between the two?
          >
          > Your best bet on getting a good answer on this is going to be to
          call Tom
          > Hennessy directly. Just dial the number on the website and ask for
          him if
          > he doesn't answer the phone. If Ann answers, you can ask her two.
          They're
          > both very nice people.
          >
          > You may also want to consider one of Ed's hammocks. What's the
          lightest
          > hammock you make Ed?
          >
          > Shane
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
            > Who is Ed?

            Shocking! Simply shocking! :)

            Ed is our moderator here. He wrote the book on hammock camping - literally.
            Check out www.hammockcamping.com.

            Shane
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
              Message
              My lightest hammock is 2 lbs--that's the hammock, bug net and 8X10 rain canopy. Check 'em out at: http://www.speerhammocks.com       ...Ed
              > My question is: what are the major experiential
              > differences between the two?

              Your best bet on getting a good answer on this is going to be to call Tom
              Hennessy directly.  Just dial the number on the website and ask for him if
              he doesn't answer the phone.  If Ann answers, you can ask her two.  They're
              both very nice people.

              You may also want to consider one of Ed's hammocks.  What's the lightest
              hammock you make Ed?

              Shane

            • Risk
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
                Hi Aaron,

                Nice to see you over here.

                Ed is Ed Speer, the moderator of the group, and great resource for
                the info as well as Shane.

                One option you may choose to consider (it is the path I took) is to
                use the lightest hammock you can find and then add a more practical
                sized tarp over it. Like you, I did not find the diamond shaped
                tarps on the HHs to be worry free.

                Ed recommends an 8 foot wide, 10 foot long tarp hung as an A frame
                over the hammock from the same trees from which the hammock hangs. I
                have now done two AT section hikes with a tarp 5 feet wide and 10
                feet long. It gives adequate coverage to sit in the hammock, cook,
                pack, and (of course) sleep. My silnylon tarp is 10.4 oz including
                the tie outs, but not including the 4 stakes I use. My present
                hammock, a double bottomed 1.1 oz version four feet wide, including
                bug net and straps weighs 19.6 oz. You can go a bit lighter if you
                sleep directly on the pad in the hammock and skip a bug net. Then
                the hammock is in the 12 oz range.

                But, getting back to what Shane said, Tom Hennessy is incredibly easy
                to work with and has the products which many find perfect for their
                needs.

                Rick