[Hammock Camping] Re: Speer ridge line

    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 9, 2008

      > On 1/8/08, David Fox <amendment2@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What does adding the ridgelne do?
      >

      > 1. Gives you a consistant sag for comfort
      > 2. Gives you a place to hang lights, books, snacks
      > 3. supports a bug net away from your face
      > 4. same with the rainfly
      > 5. But it also makes it hard to sit in sideways
      >
      > Ralph

      First of all there are structural ridgelines and non-structural
      ridgelines. For clarity, I am calling a structural ridgeline a
      ridgeline that sets the sag angle of a hammock, with the Hennessy
      Hammocks being the model that most people are familiar with. The
      Speer Hammocks use a removable ridgeline that supports the bugnet but
      it is either adjusted manually or uses some type of shock cord so that
      it does not affect the sag angle of the occupied hammock.

      A structural ridgeline alters the forces or loads or tension on the
      hammock suspension lines and the trees they attach to. In doing this
      it does produce a consistent sag angle for a hammock as long as the
      hammock suspension lines are at a smaller sag angle than what the
      structural ridgeline limits the sag angle to. But sag angle is only
      one issue when hanging a hammock, you still have to center it to keep
      it from sloping to one end or the other an you also have to hang the
      hammock at a reasonable height as well. With a structural ridgeline,
      centering and height are determined by the relative lengths or the
      hammock suspension lines, how high you hang the hammock, and the
      horizontal tension you apply to the hammock suspension lines when you
      hang the hammock.

      If you can center a hammock and hang it at a reasonable height, you
      shouldn't have too much trouble doing that while getting a reasonable
      sag angle without a structural ridgeline as well. All three of those
      are interactive (sag angle, centering and height) and are determined
      by the length of the hammock suspension lines and how high you hang
      the hammock.

      With a structural ridgeline you typically hang the hammock lower from
      the tree, maybe by a foot or more depending on the distance between
      the trees AND HOW MUCH EXTRA FORCE YOU APPLY TO THE SUSPENSION LINES
      AND THE TREES. You don't get something for nothing with this
      arrangement... in terms of the forces and tensions generated it is a
      brute force approach at achieving something you can do without the
      additional forces. There is not a fixed amount or ratio of how much
      extra force or tension you generate to set the sag angle with a
      structural ridgeline but it can easily approach multiplying the forces
      by a factor of 2 or more. A structural ridgeline is without any
      doubt, less friendly to the trees you attach to because you are
      generating more forces than necessary to hang your hammock. They also
      put more forces than necessary on the hammock suspension lines themselves.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 16, 2008
        I updated the file I previously posted by including some sketches to
        help explain what I said. It messes up the previous link but it is
        the same name under Youngblood's folder and this should be the link

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8BuOR_aqY-p99MHhoq9u40Wsacy4XOTpIn-o2G5KOtGM3Qmc5TVomj0dsM1O-YgxdlduT1FrTAl5pfYja8Sy1M4AvkWhng/Youngblood%27s/Structural%20Ridgelines-%2001162008.doc

        Dave