Re: Speer ridge line

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 8, 2008
      I am also interested in hearing from the Speer/ridge line experts. I
      have been using one. I was just wrapped around the end knots with a
      fig 8 lashing, and that seemed to work fine. But I was a little
      worried about the rope maybe cutting into the hammock nylon, so I ran
      it through one og the loops that are formed just above the end knot,
      where the webbing is sewed together in several places. ( Which is NOT
      the D-rings used for the Speer factory ridge line for the bug net)

      I don't know which is really the best to use, which is safest for
      hammock wear and tear. I am using a much stronger line than the Speer
      orange. But I would use something lighter when I hit the trail. But
      how light is adequate? Some say you need at least a rating of several
      hundred pounds or more. And maybe so. BUT, I don't observe a lot of
      stress on this line. Because if I pull it pretty tight at set up, then
      when I get in and the hammock sags, the ridge line tension is greatly
      reduces, as far as I can tell, rather than increased. The ridge line
      on the HH UL Explorer is pretty thin, and I don't know what it is made of.

      But, I'm just kind of guessing what to do and how to do it when it
      comes to adding a ridge line.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Richard Perlman <richard@...>

      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 16, 2008
        I updated the file I previously posted by including some sketches to
        help explain what I said. It messes up the previous link but it is
        the same name under Youngblood's folder and this should be the link

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8BuOR_aqY-p99MHhoq9u40Wsacy4XOTpIn-o2G5KOtGM3Qmc5TVomj0dsM1O-YgxdlduT1FrTAl5pfYja8Sy1M4AvkWhng/Youngblood%27s/Structural%20Ridgelines-%2001162008.doc

        Dave