RE: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

  • David Fox
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
      I remember reading that you got cold around your shoulders and I was
      thinking I saw a pretty cool hood with Velcro that just attached to the
      peapod so there was no actual opening open to the air. As I remember it, you
      got into the hammock, closed the peapod up a bit, stuck your head into the
      polar fleece hood so that your face was exhaling out of the peapod but the
      hood kept out drafts. Looked cool to me.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
        That was the peapod hood from "Just Jeff"'s site www.tothewoods.net

        http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPeaPodHood.html

        Sorry for answering "Just Jeff" but I read your site alot and maybe Ed
        should offer a "peapodhood" as an accessory (sp?) if possible. Now I will
        have to start tinkering myself and god knows I am pretty clumsy at that. ;-)

        Patiently awaiting my peapod, hammock and wintertarp....

        Grtz Johan

        mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
        email: gonewalkabout2003@...

        http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
        http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

      • billybob38801
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
          That must have been JustJeff's PeaPod hood. It is a good idea. I have
          a very lofty separate Marmot hood that I can use for that purpose,
          though I have not tried it yet. It even has some velcro around the
          neck area that might match up with the scratchy side PeaPod Velcro.

          Also, if I was expecting consistent temps this cold(10*) or colder, I
          might use a light summer mummy bag, as I already do( winter weight
          though) when it's really cold and I'm in my HH SuperShelter. Then the
          hood and draft collar make any neck draft problem go away. Yes, I know
          it stinks trying to get in a mummy bag in a hammock, but I can do it
          now with minimal stuggle. And my experience has been that nothing is
          competitive with a mummy's hood/collar heat sealing abilities.

          But in this test, that "cool shoulders" due to a poor quilt fit pretty
          much disappeared when I closed the pod down from a 3-6 or so inch
          opening to all the way closed. There was a quick warm up then. Yes, I
          know, I worry about the condensation in the pod also. But I didn't
          really see any that was enough to decrease loft. There was a bit of
          dampness in the area just above my face, but again, there was still
          plenty of loft. But I wouldn't want to do this unless I could count on
          some sunshine to dry out the pod.

          I'm thinking we might be able to get away with this because of the
          Velcro closure? ( wild guess)IOW, since there is no draft tube, the
          pod's closure, even when fully closed, is relatively open compared to
          a zipper, especially with a draft tube.

          This MIGHT be just enough super breathable area ( no down in the way)
          to allow most moisture to escape around/thru the Velco, without having
          to go thru the down first and possibly condensing there?

          Anybody here with lot's of experience fully closing the pod in really
          cold weather? Do you have much trouble with wet down, as we would
          normally expect?
          Bill

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
            Bill, I hope others will also respond to your question, but I've never seen
            a serious problem with condensation when I've closed my PeaPod completely.
            Of course, some wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
            price to pay for being snug & warm. I too have noticed that the wetness
            isn't as bad as I would have expected, perhaps because the PeaPod has
            breathable shells & my own body heat helps drive some of the moisture all
            the way out. I've had success reducing the wetness a bit by wearing the
            re-breather balaclava (forgot the brand name-Rick gear tested this item a
            year or so ago). A bandana over my mouth & nose does about the same thing &
            traps some of the moisture before it gets into the PeaPod. The PeaPod still
            gets a little wet, but this isn't a major problem even on week long trips.
            I've had my PeaPod get a whole lot wetter just from dew condensing on it on
            high-humidity nights, but this also seems to evaporate with no loss of
            warmth, again perhaps because my body warms the PeaPod again the next night,
            driving out any accumulated moisture. I've often thought of doing some
            weight tests to see if moisture continues to accumulate on multi-night use,
            but haven't yet-so I too am interested in other people's experience..Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Author, Hammock Camping book

            Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "David Fox" <amendment2@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > I had to get up for work anyway. But as the night was nearly over, I
            > > decided to take a risk on condensation and closed the pod completely.
            > > Boy, that made a very noticeable difference pretty quickly. In a few
            > > minutes, I was agin warm on top, and still just ok on the bottom.
            I fell
            > > back asleep, but then car noises woke me up again at 0500, and now I
            > > realized I really did have to take a leak, so I just got up. I
            looked at
            > > my thermometer, and it read 10*! Plus, according to the weather folks,
            > > there was an intermittent wind chill of zero* to 5*.
            > >
            > > Folks, I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn good
            > > performance for that amount of gear in a hammock! It definitely worked
            > > as advertised. And I wonder if I can do better if I ever get better at
            > > getting a "snugfit" with out loft loss on the bottom?

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
              Ed Speer wrote:
              > but I've never seen a serious problem with condensation
              > when I've closed my PeaPod completely. Of course, some
              > wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
              > price to pay for being snug & warm.

              This sort of condensation occurs on the ground with sleeping mats and in
              ordinary mummy-bags. I've always saw it as one of the normal and
              unavoidable parts of camping in the cold.

              CL