Re: I wanted to know

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 6, 2008
      Tod-

      Please post after your Mt. Rogers trip and let us know what you find out
      about the water situation and the animals living in the area.

      I had the pleasure of hiking there last summer as part of an AT section
      hike. Much of the southern AT was experiencing a severe drought. My
      partner and I changed our plan to hike the area south of Damascus because of
      the drought (as much as 18 miles between reliable water sources, stories of
      animals going after hikers' food more aggressively than normal, and juvenile
      bears reportedly "guarding" watering holes). Prudence dictated that with
      the time, gear ready, and plenty of food, we just buy another map and
      relocate our intended section.

      After early summer, I have heard the the drought worsened. In July, locals
      had stories of the gov't taking over posession of some horses because owners
      couldn't provided food and water (animal cruelty intervention), and farmers
      were losing huge amounts of money selling undermatured cattle early because
      of using up the feed planned for the next winter. Finally, the Mt. Rogers
      area itself was running dry. You may want to check on the streams for
      yourself before your trip, in case there has not been much precipitation
      this fall.

      While I can't atually DO anything, I would like to know how things are going
      for the local farmers and the creatures that live in the area.

      Thanks, in advance, for whatever you can tell us.

      Rosaleen

      Re: I wanted to know

      Tod Massa <todmassa@...> wrote:

      (SNIP)

      I may try testing this set up myself on Mt Rogers in a couple of
      weeks....i'm
      going to hammock anyway, and i can set up my summer hammock separately with
      similar blanket.

      tod
    • Tod Massa
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 6, 2008
        Rosaleen, will do.
        This is a scout trip and we are not sure if we will get on the AT itself or not, and will be on the east side of the mountain. Since we are base camping, we will carry our own water since previous experiences dictates that is the best strategy.

        I hiked from Rockfish Gap to the Tye River in mid-October...water sources, using the term loosely, were generally 8-10 miles apart. A few weeks ago the troop did 10 miles on the AT from just before the Devils' Marbleyard to the James River despite the recent rains, there was no water until Matt's Creek, so at least and eight mile span there.