Re: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

  • Tod Massa
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
      Frank,

      Are you doing the foothills trail? I did half of that one very long day a few years ago.

      Great trail...hope to backpack the whole thing some day.

      Have a great trip!

      Tod

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
        Foothills, some side trails and some logging/access roads.

        The FHT is the trail that I use the most. It's kind of in my back
        yard. 25 miles from my driveway to one end of it, 45 to the other.

      • ij santiago
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
          *cool frank, have a great hike!!!
          p.s. when r u heading this way and pick me up for an overniter????*

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
            Hi Billybob, glad to see you putting that PeaPod to the test! Of course,
            I'm a big believer in that sucker & I use mine a lot in all kinds of
            conditions. It really is highly adaptable to varying conditions, and just
            as you found by completely closing the PeaPod, it can easily be adjusted for
            the conditions. When first attaching the PeaPod, I like to leave some open
            air space between it & the hammock, then if it's going to be cold, I fill
            that extra space with down blankets, CCF pads or unused clothing like
            jackets, rain pants, sweaters, pack covers, etc-the extra warmth is amazing.
            Even dead leaves can be added! In fact, packing the PeaPod with dead leaves
            can take you well below zero F without carrying any additional weight! In
            the winter, I carry several trash bags so I can even use wet leaves if
            necessary. I hope you get to experiment with some of these innovative
            techniques with your PeaPod...Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Author, Hammock Camping book

            Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
              I remember reading that you got cold around your shoulders and I was
              thinking I saw a pretty cool hood with Velcro that just attached to the
              peapod so there was no actual opening open to the air. As I remember it, you
              got into the hammock, closed the peapod up a bit, stuck your head into the
              polar fleece hood so that your face was exhaling out of the peapod but the
              hood kept out drafts. Looked cool to me.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                That was the peapod hood from "Just Jeff"'s site www.tothewoods.net

                http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPeaPodHood.html

                Sorry for answering "Just Jeff" but I read your site alot and maybe Ed
                should offer a "peapodhood" as an accessory (sp?) if possible. Now I will
                have to start tinkering myself and god knows I am pretty clumsy at that. ;-)

                Patiently awaiting my peapod, hammock and wintertarp....

                Grtz Johan

                mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

              • billybob38801
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                  That must have been JustJeff's PeaPod hood. It is a good idea. I have
                  a very lofty separate Marmot hood that I can use for that purpose,
                  though I have not tried it yet. It even has some velcro around the
                  neck area that might match up with the scratchy side PeaPod Velcro.

                  Also, if I was expecting consistent temps this cold(10*) or colder, I
                  might use a light summer mummy bag, as I already do( winter weight
                  though) when it's really cold and I'm in my HH SuperShelter. Then the
                  hood and draft collar make any neck draft problem go away. Yes, I know
                  it stinks trying to get in a mummy bag in a hammock, but I can do it
                  now with minimal stuggle. And my experience has been that nothing is
                  competitive with a mummy's hood/collar heat sealing abilities.

                  But in this test, that "cool shoulders" due to a poor quilt fit pretty
                  much disappeared when I closed the pod down from a 3-6 or so inch
                  opening to all the way closed. There was a quick warm up then. Yes, I
                  know, I worry about the condensation in the pod also. But I didn't
                  really see any that was enough to decrease loft. There was a bit of
                  dampness in the area just above my face, but again, there was still
                  plenty of loft. But I wouldn't want to do this unless I could count on
                  some sunshine to dry out the pod.

                  I'm thinking we might be able to get away with this because of the
                  Velcro closure? ( wild guess)IOW, since there is no draft tube, the
                  pod's closure, even when fully closed, is relatively open compared to
                  a zipper, especially with a draft tube.

                  This MIGHT be just enough super breathable area ( no down in the way)
                  to allow most moisture to escape around/thru the Velco, without having
                  to go thru the down first and possibly condensing there?

                  Anybody here with lot's of experience fully closing the pod in really
                  cold weather? Do you have much trouble with wet down, as we would
                  normally expect?
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                    Bill, I hope others will also respond to your question, but I've never seen
                    a serious problem with condensation when I've closed my PeaPod completely.
                    Of course, some wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                    price to pay for being snug & warm. I too have noticed that the wetness
                    isn't as bad as I would have expected, perhaps because the PeaPod has
                    breathable shells & my own body heat helps drive some of the moisture all
                    the way out. I've had success reducing the wetness a bit by wearing the
                    re-breather balaclava (forgot the brand name-Rick gear tested this item a
                    year or so ago). A bandana over my mouth & nose does about the same thing &
                    traps some of the moisture before it gets into the PeaPod. The PeaPod still
                    gets a little wet, but this isn't a major problem even on week long trips.
                    I've had my PeaPod get a whole lot wetter just from dew condensing on it on
                    high-humidity nights, but this also seems to evaporate with no loss of
                    warmth, again perhaps because my body warms the PeaPod again the next night,
                    driving out any accumulated moisture. I've often thought of doing some
                    weight tests to see if moisture continues to accumulate on multi-night use,
                    but haven't yet-so I too am interested in other people's experience..Ed

                    <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "David Fox" <amendment2@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > I had to get up for work anyway. But as the night was nearly over, I
                    > > decided to take a risk on condensation and closed the pod completely.
                    > > Boy, that made a very noticeable difference pretty quickly. In a few
                    > > minutes, I was agin warm on top, and still just ok on the bottom.
                    I fell
                    > > back asleep, but then car noises woke me up again at 0500, and now I
                    > > realized I really did have to take a leak, so I just got up. I
                    looked at
                    > > my thermometer, and it read 10*! Plus, according to the weather folks,
                    > > there was an intermittent wind chill of zero* to 5*.
                    > >
                    > > Folks, I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn good
                    > > performance for that amount of gear in a hammock! It definitely worked
                    > > as advertised. And I wonder if I can do better if I ever get better at
                    > > getting a "snugfit" with out loft loss on the bottom?

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                      Ed Speer wrote:
                      > but I've never seen a serious problem with condensation
                      > when I've closed my PeaPod completely. Of course, some
                      > wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                      > price to pay for being snug & warm.

                      This sort of condensation occurs on the ground with sleeping mats and in
                      ordinary mummy-bags. I've always saw it as one of the normal and
                      unavoidable parts of camping in the cold.

                      CL