Re: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
      Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There
      are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just
      the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was
      that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this
      fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep
      the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did
      that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?

      I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF
      pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and
      kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really
      helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing
      underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS
      lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering
      cost and weight.

      I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a
      lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though
      it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Looper"
      <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

      > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
      > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
      > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
      > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
      > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
      > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
      > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.
      >
      > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
      > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
      > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
      > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
      > long.

    • Frank Looper
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
        Not much trouble to use the bag. The Evazote is 1/4", but it's better
        than most CCF as far as insulation goes. The undercover holds the
        Evazote pretty tight, and I made a loop to hold it in the same place
        all the time, duct-taped onto the place I want it to be. The duct tape
        also keeps the Evazote from tearing as easily, which can be a problem
        with that stuff.

        I'm leaving tonight for a 6-8 day hike around the Lake Jocassee area
        in SC/NC. I love Winter hiking the best, and hammocking is my favorite
        way to do it. My hammock setup is heavier than my tent setup, but the
        tent is about the lightest one out there*, so it's kind of cheating.
        :-)

        Frank/Nightwalker

        *Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo E

        On Jan 5, 2008 4:24 PM, billybob38801 <billybob38801@...> wrote:
        > Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There
        > are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just
        > the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was
        > that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this
        > fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep
        > the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did
        > that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?
        >
        > I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF
        > pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and
        > kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really
        > helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing
        > underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS
        > lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering
        > cost and weight.
        >
        > I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a
        > lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though
        > it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Looper"
        >
        > <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
        > > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
        > > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
        > > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
        > > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
        > > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
        > > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.
        > >
        > > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
        > > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
        > > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
        > > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
        > > long.
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tod Massa
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
          Frank,

          Are you doing the foothills trail? I did half of that one very long day a few years ago.

          Great trail...hope to backpack the whole thing some day.

          Have a great trip!

          Tod

          On Jan 5, 2008 4:24 PM, billybob38801 <billybob38801@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There

          > are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just

          > the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was

          > that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this

          > fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep

          > the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did

          > that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?

          > I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF

          > pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and

          > kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really

          > helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing

          > underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS

          > lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering

          > cost and weight.

          > I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a

          > lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though

          > it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.

          > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "Frank Looper"

          > <Nightwalker. AT@...> wrote:

          > > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"

          > > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under

          > > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The

          > > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a

          > > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I

          > > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right

          > > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.

          > > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to

          > > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up

          > > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could

          > > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night

          > > long.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • Frank Looper
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
            Foothills, some side trails and some logging/access roads.

            The FHT is the trail that I use the most. It's kind of in my back
            yard. 25 miles from my driveway to one end of it, 45 to the other.

          • ij santiago
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
              *cool frank, have a great hike!!!
              p.s. when r u heading this way and pick me up for an overniter????*

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                Hi Billybob, glad to see you putting that PeaPod to the test! Of course,
                I'm a big believer in that sucker & I use mine a lot in all kinds of
                conditions. It really is highly adaptable to varying conditions, and just
                as you found by completely closing the PeaPod, it can easily be adjusted for
                the conditions. When first attaching the PeaPod, I like to leave some open
                air space between it & the hammock, then if it's going to be cold, I fill
                that extra space with down blankets, CCF pads or unused clothing like
                jackets, rain pants, sweaters, pack covers, etc-the extra warmth is amazing.
                Even dead leaves can be added! In fact, packing the PeaPod with dead leaves
                can take you well below zero F without carrying any additional weight! In
                the winter, I carry several trash bags so I can even use wet leaves if
                necessary. I hope you get to experiment with some of these innovative
                techniques with your PeaPod...Ed

                Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                Author, Hammock Camping book

                Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

                Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                  I remember reading that you got cold around your shoulders and I was
                  thinking I saw a pretty cool hood with Velcro that just attached to the
                  peapod so there was no actual opening open to the air. As I remember it, you
                  got into the hammock, closed the peapod up a bit, stuck your head into the
                  polar fleece hood so that your face was exhaling out of the peapod but the
                  hood kept out drafts. Looked cool to me.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                    That was the peapod hood from "Just Jeff"'s site www.tothewoods.net

                    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPeaPodHood.html

                    Sorry for answering "Just Jeff" but I read your site alot and maybe Ed
                    should offer a "peapodhood" as an accessory (sp?) if possible. Now I will
                    have to start tinkering myself and god knows I am pretty clumsy at that. ;-)

                    Patiently awaiting my peapod, hammock and wintertarp....

                    Grtz Johan

                    mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                    email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                    http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                    http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

                  • billybob38801
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                      That must have been JustJeff's PeaPod hood. It is a good idea. I have
                      a very lofty separate Marmot hood that I can use for that purpose,
                      though I have not tried it yet. It even has some velcro around the
                      neck area that might match up with the scratchy side PeaPod Velcro.

                      Also, if I was expecting consistent temps this cold(10*) or colder, I
                      might use a light summer mummy bag, as I already do( winter weight
                      though) when it's really cold and I'm in my HH SuperShelter. Then the
                      hood and draft collar make any neck draft problem go away. Yes, I know
                      it stinks trying to get in a mummy bag in a hammock, but I can do it
                      now with minimal stuggle. And my experience has been that nothing is
                      competitive with a mummy's hood/collar heat sealing abilities.

                      But in this test, that "cool shoulders" due to a poor quilt fit pretty
                      much disappeared when I closed the pod down from a 3-6 or so inch
                      opening to all the way closed. There was a quick warm up then. Yes, I
                      know, I worry about the condensation in the pod also. But I didn't
                      really see any that was enough to decrease loft. There was a bit of
                      dampness in the area just above my face, but again, there was still
                      plenty of loft. But I wouldn't want to do this unless I could count on
                      some sunshine to dry out the pod.

                      I'm thinking we might be able to get away with this because of the
                      Velcro closure? ( wild guess)IOW, since there is no draft tube, the
                      pod's closure, even when fully closed, is relatively open compared to
                      a zipper, especially with a draft tube.

                      This MIGHT be just enough super breathable area ( no down in the way)
                      to allow most moisture to escape around/thru the Velco, without having
                      to go thru the down first and possibly condensing there?

                      Anybody here with lot's of experience fully closing the pod in really
                      cold weather? Do you have much trouble with wet down, as we would
                      normally expect?
                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                        Bill, I hope others will also respond to your question, but I've never seen
                        a serious problem with condensation when I've closed my PeaPod completely.
                        Of course, some wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                        price to pay for being snug & warm. I too have noticed that the wetness
                        isn't as bad as I would have expected, perhaps because the PeaPod has
                        breathable shells & my own body heat helps drive some of the moisture all
                        the way out. I've had success reducing the wetness a bit by wearing the
                        re-breather balaclava (forgot the brand name-Rick gear tested this item a
                        year or so ago). A bandana over my mouth & nose does about the same thing &
                        traps some of the moisture before it gets into the PeaPod. The PeaPod still
                        gets a little wet, but this isn't a major problem even on week long trips.
                        I've had my PeaPod get a whole lot wetter just from dew condensing on it on
                        high-humidity nights, but this also seems to evaporate with no loss of
                        warmth, again perhaps because my body warms the PeaPod again the next night,
                        driving out any accumulated moisture. I've often thought of doing some
                        weight tests to see if moisture continues to accumulate on multi-night use,
                        but haven't yet-so I too am interested in other people's experience..Ed

                        <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "David Fox" <amendment2@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > I had to get up for work anyway. But as the night was nearly over, I
                        > > decided to take a risk on condensation and closed the pod completely.
                        > > Boy, that made a very noticeable difference pretty quickly. In a few
                        > > minutes, I was agin warm on top, and still just ok on the bottom.
                        I fell
                        > > back asleep, but then car noises woke me up again at 0500, and now I
                        > > realized I really did have to take a leak, so I just got up. I
                        looked at
                        > > my thermometer, and it read 10*! Plus, according to the weather folks,
                        > > there was an intermittent wind chill of zero* to 5*.
                        > >
                        > > Folks, I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn good
                        > > performance for that amount of gear in a hammock! It definitely worked
                        > > as advertised. And I wonder if I can do better if I ever get better at
                        > > getting a "snugfit" with out loft loss on the bottom?

                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                          Ed Speer wrote:
                          > but I've never seen a serious problem with condensation
                          > when I've closed my PeaPod completely. Of course, some
                          > wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                          > price to pay for being snug & warm.

                          This sort of condensation occurs on the ground with sleeping mats and in
                          ordinary mummy-bags. I've always saw it as one of the normal and
                          unavoidable parts of camping in the cold.

                          CL