Re: [Hammock Camping] I wanted to know

  • ian toal
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 5, 2008
      Tod,

      Oh I knew I was trying this in the best case scenario. It is really hard to say with out being in the woods hiking how I would of faired otherwise. I know I build up a lot of heat in the winter moving around but a fair amount of that is gone between setting up camp and cooking a meal. If I found myself lost on a ski with this set up I wouldn't be cooking and wouldn't have a book with me either but I know that I'd not be as warm climbing in to the hammock unless I got a fire going, dried off and warmed up. This test did give me a better appreciation for bringing a few more clothing items with me when I go out though.

      I honestly think that in that temperature range I would build a small shelter using the survival blanket and bunker down for the night, but I was pleased with lasting for a few hours and after e-mailing with Linda about different items to bring for a survival situation, I wanted to give it a try.

      With a warmer night (15 to 20 degrees F) I do think that using a hammock may be viable with just a survival blanket. I may give that a try once it warms up a bit during the night.

      Either way, I am interested in hearing about your trip in a couple of weeks. Let me know how you fair and have fun being out.

      Enjoy,

      Ian

      Tod Massa <todmassa@...> wrote:
      Ian, thanks for the clarification. -2F is pretty impressive. But (and you might have guessed that was coming), you tested it going out into the cold from a warm house and so you were testing retaining essentially optimal warmth, including your gear itself. If you had been out all day and exposed to the elements, do you think you would felt as comfortable that first hour?

      I may try testing this set up myself on Mt Rogers in a couple of weeks....i'm going to hammock anyway, and i can set up my summer hammock separately with a similar blanket.

      tod

      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 6, 2008
        Rosaleen, will do.
        This is a scout trip and we are not sure if we will get on the AT itself or not, and will be on the east side of the mountain. Since we are base camping, we will carry our own water since previous experiences dictates that is the best strategy.

        I hiked from Rockfish Gap to the Tye River in mid-October...water sources, using the term loosely, were generally 8-10 miles apart. A few weeks ago the troop did 10 miles on the AT from just before the Devils' Marbleyard to the James River despite the recent rains, there was no water until Matt's Creek, so at least and eight mile span there.

        Tod