Re: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hi BillyBob,

      It probably was your comment!

      Sorry my comment was totally useless. I think I was confusing your
      PeaPod with Ed Speer's new underquilt. I've not got either.

      Your description makes it really clear why the PeaPod won't work with an
      HH. There may be times, though, when you'd want a really thick
      underquilt. I've noticed on the JRB site where they discuss how to work
      out a double-layer so you'd get about 5 inches of insulation underneath.

      I just avoid camping in that sort of cold!

      CL

      billybob38801 wrote:
      > Hi Cara Lin,
      > I hope it indeed was my mention of Ed telling me about the 5" space to
      > start that helped you out! Good to help out for a change, instead of
      > just needing help all the time! [:D]
      >
      > But, I can't use the PeaPod with my HH because, unlike the Nest, it only
      > works with top loading hammocks. It circles the entire hammock, with a
      > Velcro closure on top. If you close it up most or all of the way, you
      > are sealed in it sort of like a mummy bag. It would have to be much
      > bigger in order to close over the HH net and fixed ridge line. And even
      > if it was big enough, then the huge air space over you would defeat much
      > of the purpose of the top part of the pod's loft, and then I don't think
      > you could even get in the HH. You would have to close it from the
      > outside, since you couldn't reach the closure through the net.
      >
      > So, just absolutely not usable with the HH, unless you cut the net and
      > maybe the ridge line. Which I am certainly considering doing! Although,
      > it might be possible, with some minimal alterations, to use it with the
      > HH as a bottom quilt only. But that would be one thick UQ!
    • Frank Looper
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
        I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
        Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
        section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
        foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
        10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
        lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
        beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.

        Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
        keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
        and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
        definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
        long.
      • billybob38801
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
          Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There
          are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just
          the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was
          that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this
          fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep
          the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did
          that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?

          I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF
          pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and
          kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really
          helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing
          underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS
          lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering
          cost and weight.

          I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a
          lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though
          it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Looper"
          <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

          > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
          > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
          > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
          > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
          > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
          > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
          > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.
          >
          > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
          > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
          > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
          > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
          > long.

        • Frank Looper
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
            Not much trouble to use the bag. The Evazote is 1/4", but it's better
            than most CCF as far as insulation goes. The undercover holds the
            Evazote pretty tight, and I made a loop to hold it in the same place
            all the time, duct-taped onto the place I want it to be. The duct tape
            also keeps the Evazote from tearing as easily, which can be a problem
            with that stuff.

            I'm leaving tonight for a 6-8 day hike around the Lake Jocassee area
            in SC/NC. I love Winter hiking the best, and hammocking is my favorite
            way to do it. My hammock setup is heavier than my tent setup, but the
            tent is about the lightest one out there*, so it's kind of cheating.
            :-)

            Frank/Nightwalker

            *Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo E

            On Jan 5, 2008 4:24 PM, billybob38801 <billybob38801@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There
            > are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just
            > the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was
            > that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this
            > fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep
            > the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did
            > that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?
            >
            > I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF
            > pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and
            > kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really
            > helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing
            > underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS
            > lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering
            > cost and weight.
            >
            > I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a
            > lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though
            > it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Looper"
            >
            > <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
            > > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
            > > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
            > > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
            > > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
            > > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
            > > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.
            > >
            > > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
            > > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
            > > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
            > > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
            > > long.
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tod Massa
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
              Frank,

              Are you doing the foothills trail? I did half of that one very long day a few years ago.

              Great trail...hope to backpack the whole thing some day.

              Have a great trip!

              Tod

              On Jan 5, 2008 4:24 PM, billybob38801 <billybob38801@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              > Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There

              > are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just

              > the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was

              > that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this

              > fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep

              > the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did

              > that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?

              > I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF

              > pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and

              > kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really

              > helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing

              > underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS

              > lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering

              > cost and weight.

              > I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a

              > lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though

              > it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.

              > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "Frank Looper"

              > <Nightwalker. AT@...> wrote:

              > > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"

              > > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under

              > > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The

              > > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a

              > > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I

              > > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right

              > > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.

              > > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to

              > > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up

              > > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could

              > > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night

              > > long.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Frank Looper
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                Foothills, some side trails and some logging/access roads.

                The FHT is the trail that I use the most. It's kind of in my back
                yard. 25 miles from my driveway to one end of it, 45 to the other.

              • ij santiago
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                  *cool frank, have a great hike!!!
                  p.s. when r u heading this way and pick me up for an overniter????*

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                    Hi Billybob, glad to see you putting that PeaPod to the test! Of course,
                    I'm a big believer in that sucker & I use mine a lot in all kinds of
                    conditions. It really is highly adaptable to varying conditions, and just
                    as you found by completely closing the PeaPod, it can easily be adjusted for
                    the conditions. When first attaching the PeaPod, I like to leave some open
                    air space between it & the hammock, then if it's going to be cold, I fill
                    that extra space with down blankets, CCF pads or unused clothing like
                    jackets, rain pants, sweaters, pack covers, etc-the extra warmth is amazing.
                    Even dead leaves can be added! In fact, packing the PeaPod with dead leaves
                    can take you well below zero F without carrying any additional weight! In
                    the winter, I carry several trash bags so I can even use wet leaves if
                    necessary. I hope you get to experiment with some of these innovative
                    techniques with your PeaPod...Ed

                    Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                    Author, Hammock Camping book

                    Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

                    Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                      I remember reading that you got cold around your shoulders and I was
                      thinking I saw a pretty cool hood with Velcro that just attached to the
                      peapod so there was no actual opening open to the air. As I remember it, you
                      got into the hammock, closed the peapod up a bit, stuck your head into the
                      polar fleece hood so that your face was exhaling out of the peapod but the
                      hood kept out drafts. Looked cool to me.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                        That was the peapod hood from "Just Jeff"'s site www.tothewoods.net

                        http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPeaPodHood.html

                        Sorry for answering "Just Jeff" but I read your site alot and maybe Ed
                        should offer a "peapodhood" as an accessory (sp?) if possible. Now I will
                        have to start tinkering myself and god knows I am pretty clumsy at that. ;-)

                        Patiently awaiting my peapod, hammock and wintertarp....

                        Grtz Johan

                        mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                        email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                        http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                        http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

                      • billybob38801
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                          That must have been JustJeff's PeaPod hood. It is a good idea. I have
                          a very lofty separate Marmot hood that I can use for that purpose,
                          though I have not tried it yet. It even has some velcro around the
                          neck area that might match up with the scratchy side PeaPod Velcro.

                          Also, if I was expecting consistent temps this cold(10*) or colder, I
                          might use a light summer mummy bag, as I already do( winter weight
                          though) when it's really cold and I'm in my HH SuperShelter. Then the
                          hood and draft collar make any neck draft problem go away. Yes, I know
                          it stinks trying to get in a mummy bag in a hammock, but I can do it
                          now with minimal stuggle. And my experience has been that nothing is
                          competitive with a mummy's hood/collar heat sealing abilities.

                          But in this test, that "cool shoulders" due to a poor quilt fit pretty
                          much disappeared when I closed the pod down from a 3-6 or so inch
                          opening to all the way closed. There was a quick warm up then. Yes, I
                          know, I worry about the condensation in the pod also. But I didn't
                          really see any that was enough to decrease loft. There was a bit of
                          dampness in the area just above my face, but again, there was still
                          plenty of loft. But I wouldn't want to do this unless I could count on
                          some sunshine to dry out the pod.

                          I'm thinking we might be able to get away with this because of the
                          Velcro closure? ( wild guess)IOW, since there is no draft tube, the
                          pod's closure, even when fully closed, is relatively open compared to
                          a zipper, especially with a draft tube.

                          This MIGHT be just enough super breathable area ( no down in the way)
                          to allow most moisture to escape around/thru the Velco, without having
                          to go thru the down first and possibly condensing there?

                          Anybody here with lot's of experience fully closing the pod in really
                          cold weather? Do you have much trouble with wet down, as we would
                          normally expect?
                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                            Bill, I hope others will also respond to your question, but I've never seen
                            a serious problem with condensation when I've closed my PeaPod completely.
                            Of course, some wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                            price to pay for being snug & warm. I too have noticed that the wetness
                            isn't as bad as I would have expected, perhaps because the PeaPod has
                            breathable shells & my own body heat helps drive some of the moisture all
                            the way out. I've had success reducing the wetness a bit by wearing the
                            re-breather balaclava (forgot the brand name-Rick gear tested this item a
                            year or so ago). A bandana over my mouth & nose does about the same thing &
                            traps some of the moisture before it gets into the PeaPod. The PeaPod still
                            gets a little wet, but this isn't a major problem even on week long trips.
                            I've had my PeaPod get a whole lot wetter just from dew condensing on it on
                            high-humidity nights, but this also seems to evaporate with no loss of
                            warmth, again perhaps because my body warms the PeaPod again the next night,
                            driving out any accumulated moisture. I've often thought of doing some
                            weight tests to see if moisture continues to accumulate on multi-night use,
                            but haven't yet-so I too am interested in other people's experience..Ed

                            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "David Fox" <amendment2@...>
                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > > I had to get up for work anyway. But as the night was nearly over, I
                            > > decided to take a risk on condensation and closed the pod completely.
                            > > Boy, that made a very noticeable difference pretty quickly. In a few
                            > > minutes, I was agin warm on top, and still just ok on the bottom.
                            I fell
                            > > back asleep, but then car noises woke me up again at 0500, and now I
                            > > realized I really did have to take a leak, so I just got up. I
                            looked at
                            > > my thermometer, and it read 10*! Plus, according to the weather folks,
                            > > there was an intermittent wind chill of zero* to 5*.
                            > >
                            > > Folks, I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn good
                            > > performance for that amount of gear in a hammock! It definitely worked
                            > > as advertised. And I wonder if I can do better if I ever get better at
                            > > getting a "snugfit" with out loft loss on the bottom?

                          • Cara Lin Bridgman
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                              Ed Speer wrote:
                              > but I've never seen a serious problem with condensation
                              > when I've closed my PeaPod completely. Of course, some
                              > wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                              > price to pay for being snug & warm.

                              This sort of condensation occurs on the ground with sleeping mats and in
                              ordinary mummy-bags. I've always saw it as one of the normal and
                              unavoidable parts of camping in the cold.

                              CL