Re: [Hammock Camping] update PeaPod experience

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hmm, it took me a minute to picture what you were saying, but I think
      you are on to something. Best of both worlds. It would, of course, be
      even more expensive than the normal PeaPod, but I guess no more so
      than a Snugfit plus a separate top quilt or two No Snivelers. I'm
      still looking forward to seeing some temp reports on the Snugfit.

      Though I'm still hoping I can get it adjusted just right. Once I do,
      I'll just leave it in place. But what's amazing to me is how well I
      did with a less than optimum ( apparently ) adjustment. Basically, at
      least as good as rated, I believe. I mean, a summer weight bag as
      quilt, some warm clothing( I've used more, believe me!)and a space
      blanket, and I am adequate at 10* with a wind chill between 0* and 5*,
      without any pads? What competing single product can beat that, even
      with a perfect adjustment? I'm impressed. After all, I'm not
      Mr.Antifreeze blood, AKA Neo!

      This thing is not perfect for me, and I hate that I can't use it with
      my HH, for example, and it won't necessarily replace all of my other
      means of keeping warm in a hammock. BUT, there is something just
      super efficient about this thing when it comes to hammock warmth. My
      impression is that reports I've seen with separate UQs plus top quilts
      don't show as much warmth? And I can understand that on top, since I
      added a thin quilt, which adds weight. But that shouldn't effect the
      bottom warmth.

      Maybe it is the effect of being sealed in, like a mummy bag? Which
      might be even more efficient using my separate Marmot hood outside the
      pod, with the pod sealed around my neck.

      I also wonder if being sealed in, with loft closing all around the
      side/top edges, decreases any cooling effect of small air gaps and
      less than perfect fit underneath? I can see where it would decrease
      any effect from breezes or air circulation, that might be more of a
      problem with quilts top and bottom? I don't know, just guessing about
      why this product seems to be warmer than you would think when
      comparing it to similar products, weight wise and rated loft wise.

      Of course, I really kind of expected ( no, let's say "hoped for")
      this. Due to having PMed a couple PeaPod users, who don't post very
      much on the forums. Folks who had reported super good results with
      their PeaPods on the trail. In all cases, better than rated for the
      PeaPod they were using.

      > maybe ed & dave need to come up w/ a section that covers the top of
      the hammock by velcroing to the snugfit quilt??? that may be just
      about ideal.

> [...]
      > which covered the bottom and well up the sides of the hammock. I closed
      > the Velcro down to about a 6" opening above my face, got on the diagonal
      > a bit and tried to sleep, always tough for me to do in the back yard,
      > for some reason. But not in the woods in a hammock, where I sleep like
      > the dead! Once again, though it felt like the pod did not quite contact
      > my low point ( very small gap), when I reached around the outside, it
      > only felt like there was no more than 1 - 1.5" loft. I said to heck
      > with it, as I figured there would be plenty of days on the trail where I
      > would be too tired to fool with fine adjustments. Let's just see how it
      > goes. I figured I would have to go in later, too cold.
      >
      > It took about 10 or 20 minutes before I realized that I was starting to
      > over heat. So I let my hood down, and then I was just plenty warm, but
      > not starting to sweat. I did my usual fitful backyard style sleeping,
      > but plenty warm, I had to admit. Once during the night, I was not quite
      > comfortable enough around my shoulders, having my usual trouble with
      > draftiness when using a quilt, especially when I would move briefly to
      > my side. I never have much luck using sleeping bags as quilts as far as
      > drafts around the shoulders. But I would just snug the quilt up and be
      > fine again until I moved too much, plus at some point I pulled the hood
      > back up.
      >
      > Finally, I woke up at what I figured was about 0130 or 0230. I was no
      > longer toasty warm, but I was not uncomfortably cold. Just barely cool,
      > top and bottom. So I figured that's it, I'll go in and get some good
      > sleep. It's probably about 16* and I have established my lower limit
      > with this set-up. So I turned on my head lamp, looked at my watch, and
      > lo and behold it was 0430! So I had made it through most of the night
      > without getting uncomfortably cold, just barely cool. Amazingly for me,
      > even though I had a big drink of water right before bed in hopes of
      > staying hydrated in the cold, I had not even had to gt up and take a
      > leak over 51/2 hours. So I decided to just ride it out until 0600, when
      > I had to get up for work anyway. But as the night was nearly over, I
      > decided to take a risk on condensation and closed the pod completely.
      > Boy, that made a very noticeable difference pretty quickly. In a few
      > minutes, I was agin warm on top, and still just ok on the bottom. I fell
      > back asleep, but then car noises woke me up again at 0500, and now I
      > realized I really did have to take a leak, so I just got up. I looked at
      > my thermometer, and it read 10*! Plus, according to the weather folks,
      > there was an intermittent wind chill of zero* to 5*.
      >
      > Folks, I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn good
      > performance for that amount of gear in a hammock! It definitely worked
      > as advertised. And I wonder if I can do better if I ever get better at
      > getting a "snugfit" with out loft loss on the bottom?

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
        billybob38801 wrote:
        > This thing is not perfect for me, and I hate that I can't use it with
        > my HH, for example, and it won't necessarily replace all of my other

        Why can't you use it with your HH? I got tired of the velcro on my JRB
        nest grabbing at my hair, so I vecroed and safety pinned it together.
        It still works fine on my HH. In fact, I think I like it better.

        All the directions say to install the nest, and then pull it back, climb
        into the HH, and the nest will slide right back under you all by itself.
        It wasn't doing that for me until I figured out that my problem was
        having it too tight under the hammock. This was preventing all that
        insulation from doing its job, too.

        It may have been your mention of Ed Speer's directions to make sure
        there's a good 5 inches between the insulating layer and the hammock
        before you even climb in, but sometime in the past month I figured out
        that those 5-ish inches are what's needed to make it work!.

        In fact, last month I had to camp out at one school I teach at (all the
        guest houses were full). I stayed in the HH and slept great except for
        one horrible dog which literally barked at my hammock all night. I
        found out that I could make really speedy exits (trying to kill that
        dog!) even with having to kick the nest out of the way before I could
        leave my HH.

        So, if it's not easily sliding underneath you, then it has to be too tight.

        Some of these things just take me a little longer to figure out...

        CL
      • billybob38801
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hi Cara Lin,
          I hope it indeed was my mention of Ed telling me about the 5" space to
          start that helped you out! Good to help out for a change, instead of
          just needing help all the time! [:D]

          But, I can't use the PeaPod with my HH because, unlike the Nest, it only
          works with top loading hammocks. It circles the entire hammock, with a
          Velcro closure on top. If you close it up most or all of the way, you
          are sealed in it sort of like a mummy bag. It would have to be much
          bigger in order to close over the HH net and fixed ridge line. And even
          if it was big enough, then the huge air space over you would defeat much
          of the purpose of the top part of the pod's loft, and then I don't think
          you could even get in the HH. You would have to close it from the
          outside, since you couldn't reach the closure through the net.

          So, just absolutely not usable with the HH, unless you cut the net and
          maybe the ridge line. Which I am certainly considering doing! Although,
          it might be possible, with some minimal alterations, to use it with the
          HH as a bottom quilt only. But that would be one thick UQ!

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
          wrote:

          > billybob38801 wrote:
          > > This thing is not perfect for me, and I hate that I can't use it
          with
          > > my HH, for example, and it won't necessarily replace all of my other
          >

          > Why can't you use it with your HH? I got tired of the velcro on my
          JRB
          > nest grabbing at my hair, so I vecroed and safety pinned it together.
          > It still works fine on my HH. In fact, I think I like it better.
          >
          > All the directions say to install the nest, and then pull it back,
          climb
          > into the HH, and the nest will slide right back under you all by
          itself.
          > It wasn't doing that for me until I figured out that my problem was
          > having it too tight under the hammock. This was preventing all that
          > insulation from doing its job, too.
          >
          > It may have been your mention of Ed Speer's directions to make sure
          > there's a good 5 inches between the insulating layer and the hammock
          > before you even climb in, but sometime in the past month I figured out
          > that those 5-ish inches are what's needed to make it work!.
          >
          > In fact, last month I had to camp out at one school I teach at (all
          the
          > guest houses were full). I stayed in the HH and slept great except
          for
          > one horrible dog which literally barked at my hammock all night. I
          > found out that I could make really speedy exits (trying to kill that
          > dog!) even with having to kick the nest out of the way before I could
          > leave my HH.
          >
          > So, if it's not easily sliding underneath you, then it has to be too
          tight.

          > Some of these things just take me a little longer to figure out...
          >
          > CL

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
            Hi BillyBob,

            It probably was your comment!

            Sorry my comment was totally useless. I think I was confusing your
            PeaPod with Ed Speer's new underquilt. I've not got either.

            Your description makes it really clear why the PeaPod won't work with an
            HH. There may be times, though, when you'd want a really thick
            underquilt. I've noticed on the JRB site where they discuss how to work
            out a double-layer so you'd get about 5 inches of insulation underneath.

            I just avoid camping in that sort of cold!

            CL

            billybob38801 wrote:
            > Hi Cara Lin,
            > I hope it indeed was my mention of Ed telling me about the 5" space to
            > start that helped you out! Good to help out for a change, instead of
            > just needing help all the time! [:D]
            >
            > But, I can't use the PeaPod with my HH because, unlike the Nest, it only
            > works with top loading hammocks. It circles the entire hammock, with a
            > Velcro closure on top. If you close it up most or all of the way, you
            > are sealed in it sort of like a mummy bag. It would have to be much
            > bigger in order to close over the HH net and fixed ridge line. And even
            > if it was big enough, then the huge air space over you would defeat much
            > of the purpose of the top part of the pod's loft, and then I don't think
            > you could even get in the HH. You would have to close it from the
            > outside, since you couldn't reach the closure through the net.
            >
            > So, just absolutely not usable with the HH, unless you cut the net and
            > maybe the ridge line. Which I am certainly considering doing! Although,
            > it might be possible, with some minimal alterations, to use it with the
            > HH as a bottom quilt only. But that would be one thick UQ!
          • Frank Looper
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
              I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
              Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
              section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
              foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
              10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
              lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
              beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.

              Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
              keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
              and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
              definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
              long.
            • billybob38801
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There
                are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just
                the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was
                that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this
                fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep
                the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did
                that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?

                I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF
                pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and
                kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really
                helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing
                underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS
                lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering
                cost and weight.

                I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a
                lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though
                it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Looper"
                <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:

                > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
                > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
                > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
                > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
                > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
                > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
                > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.
                >
                > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
                > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
                > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
                > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
                > long.

              • Frank Looper
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                  Not much trouble to use the bag. The Evazote is 1/4", but it's better
                  than most CCF as far as insulation goes. The undercover holds the
                  Evazote pretty tight, and I made a loop to hold it in the same place
                  all the time, duct-taped onto the place I want it to be. The duct tape
                  also keeps the Evazote from tearing as easily, which can be a problem
                  with that stuff.

                  I'm leaving tonight for a 6-8 day hike around the Lake Jocassee area
                  in SC/NC. I love Winter hiking the best, and hammocking is my favorite
                  way to do it. My hammock setup is heavier than my tent setup, but the
                  tent is about the lightest one out there*, so it's kind of cheating.
                  :-)

                  Frank/Nightwalker

                  *Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo E

                  On Jan 5, 2008 4:24 PM, billybob38801 <billybob38801@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There
                  > are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just
                  > the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was
                  > that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this
                  > fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep
                  > the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did
                  > that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?
                  >
                  > I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF
                  > pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and
                  > kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really
                  > helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing
                  > underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS
                  > lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering
                  > cost and weight.
                  >
                  > I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a
                  > lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though
                  > it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Looper"
                  >
                  > <Nightwalker.AT@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"
                  > > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under
                  > > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The
                  > > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a
                  > > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I
                  > > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right
                  > > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.
                  > >
                  > > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to
                  > > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up
                  > > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could
                  > > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night
                  > > long.
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tod Massa
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                    Frank,

                    Are you doing the foothills trail? I did half of that one very long day a few years ago.

                    Great trail...hope to backpack the whole thing some day.

                    Have a great trip!

                    Tod

                    On Jan 5, 2008 4:24 PM, billybob38801 <billybob38801@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > Thanks for that info, Frank. I am a big SuperShelter fan myself. There

                    > are not many of us that post on most hammock forums. So this was just

                    > the one basic HH OCF pad, plus the CCF pad under it all? How thick was

                    > that CCF pad? I am amazed that you were able to use the pad in this

                    > fashion, UNDER the closed cell foam. You were obviously able to keep

                    > the evazote pad up close to the OCF, but I'm not sure how you did

                    > that. Did you have to adjust the undercover much tighter than usual?

                    > I have been able to get the SS to some pretty low temps without CCF

                    > pads, though I have also used those. I have added the HH torso and

                    > kidney pads, and those really help. And the space blanket really

                    > helps, just as it helped in the PeaPod. And putting clothing

                    > underneath and/or a garlington insulator can really push that SS

                    > lower. I'm not sure why it is not more popular. Especially considering

                    > cost and weight.

                    > I agree with you that a sleeping bag wrapped around you can get you a

                    > lot of extra warmth. It has, for me, much fewer draft problems. Though

                    > it is a bit ( a lot? ) more hassle.

                    > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "Frank Looper"

                    > <Nightwalker. AT@...> wrote:

                    > > I did those cold nights with a Super Shelter on bottom, plus some 1/4"

                    > > Evazote under the OCF. The Evazote on the head half of the under

                    > > section was 4' x 4'. It could use just a little edge trimming. The

                    > > foot half was 2' x 4' and overlapped with the top section. I used a

                    > > 10' WM bag inside the hammock, and not just as a quilt. Yes, where I

                    > > lay on the down crushes it, but only directly where I lay on it. Right

                    > > beside the pressure points is full volume,and full insulation as well.

                    > > Early in the night, on the first night, I had to put an arm out to

                    > > keep from sweating. Later on, as it got into the teens, I zipped up

                    > > and was roasty-toasty all night long. I had no cold spots, and could

                    > > definitely have went colder. The wind whipped pretty hard all night

                    > > long.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mkp{
                    #ygrp-mkp hr{
                    border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                    #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                    #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                    margin-bottom:10px;}
                    #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                    padding:0 0;}
                    #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                    color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                    -->

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                    font-family:Arial;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                    margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                    -->

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                    #ygrp-text{
                    font-family:Georgia;
                    }
                    #ygrp-text p{
                    margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                    #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                    font-family:Arial;
                    clear:both;}
                    #ygrp-vitnav{
                    #ygrp-vitnav a{
                    padding:0 1px;}
                    #ygrp-actbar{
                    #ygrp-actbar .left{
                    float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                    .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-grft{
                    #ygrp-ft{
                    padding:5px 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                    padding-bottom:10px;}

                    #ygrp-vital{
                    #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                    #ygrp-vital ul{
                    padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                    #ygrp-vital ul li{
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                    font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-vital a{
                    text-decoration:none;}

                    #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;}

                    #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                    color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                    padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                    text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                    padding:8px 0;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                    text-decoration:none;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                    margin:0;}
                    o{font-size:0;}
                    .MsoNormal{
                    margin:0 0 0 0;}
                    #ygrp-text tt{
                    font-size:120%;}
                    blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                    .replbq{margin:4;}
                    -->

                  • Frank Looper
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                      Foothills, some side trails and some logging/access roads.

                      The FHT is the trail that I use the most. It's kind of in my back
                      yard. 25 miles from my driveway to one end of it, 45 to the other.

                    • ij santiago
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
                        *cool frank, have a great hike!!!
                        p.s. when r u heading this way and pick me up for an overniter????*

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                          Hi Billybob, glad to see you putting that PeaPod to the test! Of course,
                          I'm a big believer in that sucker & I use mine a lot in all kinds of
                          conditions. It really is highly adaptable to varying conditions, and just
                          as you found by completely closing the PeaPod, it can easily be adjusted for
                          the conditions. When first attaching the PeaPod, I like to leave some open
                          air space between it & the hammock, then if it's going to be cold, I fill
                          that extra space with down blankets, CCF pads or unused clothing like
                          jackets, rain pants, sweaters, pack covers, etc-the extra warmth is amazing.
                          Even dead leaves can be added! In fact, packing the PeaPod with dead leaves
                          can take you well below zero F without carrying any additional weight! In
                          the winter, I carry several trash bags so I can even use wet leaves if
                          necessary. I hope you get to experiment with some of these innovative
                          techniques with your PeaPod...Ed

                          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                          Author, Hammock Camping book

                          Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

                          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 6, 2008
                            I remember reading that you got cold around your shoulders and I was
                            thinking I saw a pretty cool hood with Velcro that just attached to the
                            peapod so there was no actual opening open to the air. As I remember it, you
                            got into the hammock, closed the peapod up a bit, stuck your head into the
                            polar fleece hood so that your face was exhaling out of the peapod but the
                            hood kept out drafts. Looked cool to me.

                            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > I had to get up for work anyway. But as the night was nearly over, I
                            > decided to take a risk on condensation and closed the pod completely.
                            > Boy, that made a very noticeable difference pretty quickly. In a few
                            > minutes, I was agin warm on top, and still just ok on the bottom. I fell
                            > back asleep, but then car noises woke me up again at 0500, and now I
                            > realized I really did have to take a leak, so I just got up. I looked at
                            > my thermometer, and it read 10*! Plus, according to the weather folks,
                            > there was an intermittent wind chill of zero* to 5*.
                            >
                            > Folks, I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn good
                            > performance for that amount of gear in a hammock! It definitely worked
                            > as advertised. And I wonder if I can do better if I ever get better at
                            > getting a "snugfit" with out loft loss on the bottom?

                          • Johan van Dijk
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                              That was the peapod hood from "Just Jeff"'s site www.tothewoods.net

                              http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPeaPodHood.html

                              Sorry for answering "Just Jeff" but I read your site alot and maybe Ed
                              should offer a "peapodhood" as an accessory (sp?) if possible. Now I will
                              have to start tinkering myself and god knows I am pretty clumsy at that. ;-)

                              Patiently awaiting my peapod, hammock and wintertarp....

                              Grtz Johan

                              mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                              email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                              http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                              http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

                            • billybob38801
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                                That must have been JustJeff's PeaPod hood. It is a good idea. I have
                                a very lofty separate Marmot hood that I can use for that purpose,
                                though I have not tried it yet. It even has some velcro around the
                                neck area that might match up with the scratchy side PeaPod Velcro.

                                Also, if I was expecting consistent temps this cold(10*) or colder, I
                                might use a light summer mummy bag, as I already do( winter weight
                                though) when it's really cold and I'm in my HH SuperShelter. Then the
                                hood and draft collar make any neck draft problem go away. Yes, I know
                                it stinks trying to get in a mummy bag in a hammock, but I can do it
                                now with minimal stuggle. And my experience has been that nothing is
                                competitive with a mummy's hood/collar heat sealing abilities.

                                But in this test, that "cool shoulders" due to a poor quilt fit pretty
                                much disappeared when I closed the pod down from a 3-6 or so inch
                                opening to all the way closed. There was a quick warm up then. Yes, I
                                know, I worry about the condensation in the pod also. But I didn't
                                really see any that was enough to decrease loft. There was a bit of
                                dampness in the area just above my face, but again, there was still
                                plenty of loft. But I wouldn't want to do this unless I could count on
                                some sunshine to dry out the pod.

                                I'm thinking we might be able to get away with this because of the
                                Velcro closure? ( wild guess)IOW, since there is no draft tube, the
                                pod's closure, even when fully closed, is relatively open compared to
                                a zipper, especially with a draft tube.

                                This MIGHT be just enough super breathable area ( no down in the way)
                                to allow most moisture to escape around/thru the Velco, without having
                                to go thru the down first and possibly condensing there?

                                Anybody here with lot's of experience fully closing the pod in really
                                cold weather? Do you have much trouble with wet down, as we would
                                normally expect?
                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                                  Bill, I hope others will also respond to your question, but I've never seen
                                  a serious problem with condensation when I've closed my PeaPod completely.
                                  Of course, some wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                                  price to pay for being snug & warm. I too have noticed that the wetness
                                  isn't as bad as I would have expected, perhaps because the PeaPod has
                                  breathable shells & my own body heat helps drive some of the moisture all
                                  the way out. I've had success reducing the wetness a bit by wearing the
                                  re-breather balaclava (forgot the brand name-Rick gear tested this item a
                                  year or so ago). A bandana over my mouth & nose does about the same thing &
                                  traps some of the moisture before it gets into the PeaPod. The PeaPod still
                                  gets a little wet, but this isn't a major problem even on week long trips.
                                  I've had my PeaPod get a whole lot wetter just from dew condensing on it on
                                  high-humidity nights, but this also seems to evaporate with no loss of
                                  warmth, again perhaps because my body warms the PeaPod again the next night,
                                  driving out any accumulated moisture. I've often thought of doing some
                                  weight tests to see if moisture continues to accumulate on multi-night use,
                                  but haven't yet-so I too am interested in other people's experience..Ed

                                  <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "David Fox" <amendment2@...>
                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > I had to get up for work anyway. But as the night was nearly over, I
                                  > > decided to take a risk on condensation and closed the pod completely.
                                  > > Boy, that made a very noticeable difference pretty quickly. In a few
                                  > > minutes, I was agin warm on top, and still just ok on the bottom.
                                  I fell
                                  > > back asleep, but then car noises woke me up again at 0500, and now I
                                  > > realized I really did have to take a leak, so I just got up. I
                                  looked at
                                  > > my thermometer, and it read 10*! Plus, according to the weather folks,
                                  > > there was an intermittent wind chill of zero* to 5*.
                                  > >
                                  > > Folks, I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn good
                                  > > performance for that amount of gear in a hammock! It definitely worked
                                  > > as advertised. And I wonder if I can do better if I ever get better at
                                  > > getting a "snugfit" with out loft loss on the bottom?

                                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                                    Ed Speer wrote:
                                    > but I've never seen a serious problem with condensation
                                    > when I've closed my PeaPod completely. Of course, some
                                    > wetness does occur directly above my face, but it's a small
                                    > price to pay for being snug & warm.

                                    This sort of condensation occurs on the ground with sleeping mats and in
                                    ordinary mummy-bags. I've always saw it as one of the normal and
                                    unavoidable parts of camping in the cold.

                                    CL