Non Ultralight but compact Hammock Camping?

  • Jim Rubino
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
      Now I know that most use their hammocks for backpacking, but I have a
      different problem. This August, I will be in Sturgis, SD for a large
      motorcycle rally. I would REALLY like to be able to use my hammock as a
      hammock, and not just a little tent. So my question for the more experienced
      is, what would I need to be able to actually hang this hammock if there are
      no trees? Could I use one of my handlebars on the bike as one point or is
      there too much pull for this to work effectively. I currently have a
      Hennessey A-sym ultra light and on my test run, the place we stayed at
      didn't have a good hanging spot. (the trees were either too far apart or
      over a small gorge (creek, sides were about 4 feet straight down, I am only
      about 5 1/2 feet so I couldn't really reach... Oh and anything that would be
      used for a stand/support would have to fit on a motorcycle along with about
      2 weeks worth of stuff. All ideas welcome!

      Thanks!
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
        > Could I use one of my handlebars on the bike as one point

        No! Absolutely NOT!

        > Oh and anything that would be used for a stand/support
        > would have to fit on a motorcycle along with about
        > 2 weeks worth of stuff. All ideas welcome!

        If you could invent that, you'd get rich in a hurry...

        Shane
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
          Message
          Hi Jim, I too am interested in being able to set up a hammock in situations like yours. There is some hope.  There are several single hammock posts available commerically that take the place of one tree.  In other words, one end of hammock hangs from a tree and the other end hangs from a portable stand or post.  See my free newsletter for Feb2003 at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/feb2003.htm
          While the comerical ones might be too heavy or bulky for your cycle, you might be able to make your own that would work.

          Another alternative, like you mentioned,  is to use your bike handlebars--I'd suggest adding a guideline to a ground stake to help secure the bike.  This would then be similar to the single post stands mentioned above, only using the bike instead.  Maybe if two bikes were available...  Actually two hammocks could probably be hung from three bikes in this manner.  Since the bikes are low to the ground already, it may be difficult to use a bottom-entry hammock--a top entry hammock might work better.  Hope this gives you some ideas to try.  Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.....Ed

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
            I would suggest that you take the hammock and some very sturdy stakes
            and cordage, and then scrounge for a pole to serve as a second tree
            once you're there. You might find something lying around or, at
            worst, you might have to buy a 6' piece of 2"x2" wood. They must have
            some sort of hardware store or lumber yard even in Sturgis.

            Brandon in Honolulu

            > Hi Jim, I too am interested in being able to set up a hammock in
            > situations like yours. There is some hope. There are several single
            > hammock posts available commerically that take the place of one
            tree...
          • Risk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
              One possible way you might test ahead of time:

              It seems that one tree is far more frequently available than a pair
              of trees. I have given some thought and will likely experiment with
              using two hiking poles in an A-frame configuration to replace the
              second tree. Of course, the other end of the rope not tied to a tree
              must be staked to the ground, probably with two stakes. (One stake
              has the rope to the hammock tied to its base. A second stake is
              placed so a rope tied to its base is also tied to the end of the
              first stake so the first stake can not be pulled out.)

              It occurs to me, that you may be able to replace the crossed hiking
              poles by routing the hammock support cord/webbing over the seat of
              the bike and then to a stake system as described above.

              In either case, the end of the hammock tied to the tree needs to be 6
              inches or so above the low support so you keep sliding away from the
              middle of the hammock.

              These are possible improvements of a system shown on a page here:

              http://www.treehanger.com/stafftrick.html

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
                Message
                Brandon, didn't you previously give a link to a picture of your setup with a single pole like this?  Could you give that link again--I remember it was really simple, but the picture helps...Ed

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
                  Message
                  A great idea Rick! Can't wait to try it....Ed

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
                    Sorry, must've been someone else. I have no pictures.

                    Brandon