Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: New Years

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
      doesn't sound like socializing was an easy thing to do.
      i would have liked to see you guys, but i'm glad i didn't try to make that drive<G>.

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      Tim,

      Very windy. We didn't have a campfire as the signs were still in
      place about a campfire ban due to the extreme drought in the area. It
      was pretty damp from the recent rains to the point that it was hard to
      get stakes seated well were I set up but a ban is a ban and windy is
      windy. There was a campfire going in the meadow with a group of folks
      and I walked down there for a few minutes. That fire was dangerous to
      stand around as it was a stream of sparklers at times that could blow
      at most any direction at times and for quite a ways. There was one
      thru-hiker I met on the summmit that finished that day and some that
      were starting out on Jan 1st heading north. A few of us gathered in
      the shelter and chatted in the dark for a while out of the wind.

      The temperatures weren't too bad except for the wind chill, I think Ed
      told me he measured 26F on his thermometer. And the wind direction
      changed over night and caught me be surprise as it blew into the end I
      had left open for easy entrance/exit. I had to change the flaps on my
      WinterTarp after a while because of the way the wind was hitting my
      insulation but after I did that I was protected well enough. The
      wind, lack of a campfire, and early darkness dampened the socializing.
      I retired fairly early even by my standards and got off of the
      mountain early in the morning as well as the wind was still a problem
      on the mountain and I needed to catch up with Ed and Karen in the
      parking lot.

      I'm not sure how many people were there all together. There were some
      tents, some tarps, and about 8 hammocks.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extenders, SnugFit Underquilt, and
      WinterTarp

      hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"