RE: [SPAM][Hammock Camping] Re: New Years

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
      Sorry we missed you Rosaleen. Karen & I did leave early the next morning-it
      was just too cold to stand around & try to eat breakfast. But we greatly
      enjoyed the sunrise from our hammocks! There were probably only 6 or so
      hammockers this year-I guess the cold & wind kept others away. But like you
      said, waking up on Springer Mtn on New Year's morning is too good to
      miss..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Author, Hammock Camping book

      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
        Tim,

        Very windy. We didn't have a campfire as the signs were still in
        place about a campfire ban due to the extreme drought in the area. It
        was pretty damp from the recent rains to the point that it was hard to
        get stakes seated well were I set up but a ban is a ban and windy is
        windy. There was a campfire going in the meadow with a group of folks
        and I walked down there for a few minutes. That fire was dangerous to
        stand around as it was a stream of sparklers at times that could blow
        at most any direction at times and for quite a ways. There was one
        thru-hiker I met on the summmit that finished that day and some that
        were starting out on Jan 1st heading north. A few of us gathered in
        the shelter and chatted in the dark for a while out of the wind.

        The temperatures weren't too bad except for the wind chill, I think Ed
        told me he measured 26F on his thermometer. And the wind direction
        changed over night and caught me be surprise as it blew into the end I
        had left open for easy entrance/exit. I had to change the flaps on my
        WinterTarp after a while because of the way the wind was hitting my
        insulation but after I did that I was protected well enough. The
        wind, lack of a campfire, and early darkness dampened the socializing.
        I retired fairly early even by my standards and got off of the
        mountain early in the morning as well as the wind was still a problem
        on the mountain and I needed to catch up with Ed and Karen in the
        parking lot.

        I'm not sure how many people were there all together. There were some
        tents, some tarps, and about 8 hammocks.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood AT2000
        designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extenders, SnugFit Underquilt, and
        WinterTarp

        hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
          doesn't sound like socializing was an easy thing to do.
          i would have liked to see you guys, but i'm glad i didn't try to make that drive<G>.