Re: New Years

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
      Hi, Gang-

      Well, I made it to Springer for New Year-sort of. Midnight struck while a
      small group of us were on our way up. The trip from where we were took
      longer than any of us anticipated. It was cold enough and late enough that
      I went looking for a place to sleep and crawled into my sleeping bag. We
      might have been able to visit briefly in the AM, but one of the group was in
      a rush to leave due to the cold. I suspect it was the biting wind that put
      the coldness over the edge. The night certainly was clear and beautiful,
      and sleeping on a mountain top was a great way to start the year. I just
      hope missing the gang and the cold are not signs of how the rest of the year
      goes. So near, yet so far.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
        Sorry we missed you Rosaleen. Karen & I did leave early the next morning-it
        was just too cold to stand around & try to eat breakfast. But we greatly
        enjoyed the sunrise from our hammocks! There were probably only 6 or so
        hammockers this year-I guess the cold & wind kept others away. But like you
        said, waking up on Springer Mtn on New Year's morning is too good to
        miss..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Author, Hammock Camping book

        Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
          Tim,

          Very windy. We didn't have a campfire as the signs were still in
          place about a campfire ban due to the extreme drought in the area. It
          was pretty damp from the recent rains to the point that it was hard to
          get stakes seated well were I set up but a ban is a ban and windy is
          windy. There was a campfire going in the meadow with a group of folks
          and I walked down there for a few minutes. That fire was dangerous to
          stand around as it was a stream of sparklers at times that could blow
          at most any direction at times and for quite a ways. There was one
          thru-hiker I met on the summmit that finished that day and some that
          were starting out on Jan 1st heading north. A few of us gathered in
          the shelter and chatted in the dark for a while out of the wind.

          The temperatures weren't too bad except for the wind chill, I think Ed
          told me he measured 26F on his thermometer. And the wind direction
          changed over night and caught me be surprise as it blew into the end I
          had left open for easy entrance/exit. I had to change the flaps on my
          WinterTarp after a while because of the way the wind was hitting my
          insulation but after I did that I was protected well enough. The
          wind, lack of a campfire, and early darkness dampened the socializing.
          I retired fairly early even by my standards and got off of the
          mountain early in the morning as well as the wind was still a problem
          on the mountain and I needed to catch up with Ed and Karen in the
          parking lot.

          I'm not sure how many people were there all together. There were some
          tents, some tarps, and about 8 hammocks.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood AT2000
          designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extenders, SnugFit Underquilt, and
          WinterTarp

          hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
            doesn't sound like socializing was an easy thing to do.
            i would have liked to see you guys, but i'm glad i didn't try to make that drive<G>.