Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: New Years

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
      i been meaning to ask... how was it?

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
      wrote:

      > A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
      > then, and there's been more rain since.

      They were right, there was plenty of water.

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi, Gang-

        Well, I made it to Springer for New Year-sort of. Midnight struck while a
        small group of us were on our way up. The trip from where we were took
        longer than any of us anticipated. It was cold enough and late enough that
        I went looking for a place to sleep and crawled into my sleeping bag. We
        might have been able to visit briefly in the AM, but one of the group was in
        a rush to leave due to the cold. I suspect it was the biting wind that put
        the coldness over the edge. The night certainly was clear and beautiful,
        and sleeping on a mountain top was a great way to start the year. I just
        hope missing the gang and the cold are not signs of how the rest of the year
        goes. So near, yet so far.

        Cheers!

        Rosaleen
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
          Sorry we missed you Rosaleen. Karen & I did leave early the next morning-it
          was just too cold to stand around & try to eat breakfast. But we greatly
          enjoyed the sunrise from our hammocks! There were probably only 6 or so
          hammockers this year-I guess the cold & wind kept others away. But like you
          said, waking up on Springer Mtn on New Year's morning is too good to
          miss..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Author, Hammock Camping book

          Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
            Tim,

            Very windy. We didn't have a campfire as the signs were still in
            place about a campfire ban due to the extreme drought in the area. It
            was pretty damp from the recent rains to the point that it was hard to
            get stakes seated well were I set up but a ban is a ban and windy is
            windy. There was a campfire going in the meadow with a group of folks
            and I walked down there for a few minutes. That fire was dangerous to
            stand around as it was a stream of sparklers at times that could blow
            at most any direction at times and for quite a ways. There was one
            thru-hiker I met on the summmit that finished that day and some that
            were starting out on Jan 1st heading north. A few of us gathered in
            the shelter and chatted in the dark for a while out of the wind.

            The temperatures weren't too bad except for the wind chill, I think Ed
            told me he measured 26F on his thermometer. And the wind direction
            changed over night and caught me be surprise as it blew into the end I
            had left open for easy entrance/exit. I had to change the flaps on my
            WinterTarp after a while because of the way the wind was hitting my
            insulation but after I did that I was protected well enough. The
            wind, lack of a campfire, and early darkness dampened the socializing.
            I retired fairly early even by my standards and got off of the
            mountain early in the morning as well as the wind was still a problem
            on the mountain and I needed to catch up with Ed and Karen in the
            parking lot.

            I'm not sure how many people were there all together. There were some
            tents, some tarps, and about 8 hammocks.

            Dave Womble
            aka Youngblood AT2000
            designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extenders, SnugFit Underquilt, and
            WinterTarp

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
              doesn't sound like socializing was an easy thing to do.
              i would have liked to see you guys, but i'm glad i didn't try to make that drive<G>.