[Hammock Camping] Re: New Years

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>
      wrote:

      > A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
      > then, and there's been more rain since.

      They were right, there was plenty of water.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
        i been meaning to ask... how was it?

        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
        wrote:

        > A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
        > then, and there's been more rain since.

        They were right, there was plenty of water.

      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hi, Gang-

          Well, I made it to Springer for New Year-sort of. Midnight struck while a
          small group of us were on our way up. The trip from where we were took
          longer than any of us anticipated. It was cold enough and late enough that
          I went looking for a place to sleep and crawled into my sleeping bag. We
          might have been able to visit briefly in the AM, but one of the group was in
          a rush to leave due to the cold. I suspect it was the biting wind that put
          the coldness over the edge. The night certainly was clear and beautiful,
          and sleeping on a mountain top was a great way to start the year. I just
          hope missing the gang and the cold are not signs of how the rest of the year
          goes. So near, yet so far.

          Cheers!

          Rosaleen
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
            Sorry we missed you Rosaleen. Karen & I did leave early the next morning-it
            was just too cold to stand around & try to eat breakfast. But we greatly
            enjoyed the sunrise from our hammocks! There were probably only 6 or so
            hammockers this year-I guess the cold & wind kept others away. But like you
            said, waking up on Springer Mtn on New Year's morning is too good to
            miss..Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Author, Hammock Camping book

            Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
              Tim,

              Very windy. We didn't have a campfire as the signs were still in
              place about a campfire ban due to the extreme drought in the area. It
              was pretty damp from the recent rains to the point that it was hard to
              get stakes seated well were I set up but a ban is a ban and windy is
              windy. There was a campfire going in the meadow with a group of folks
              and I walked down there for a few minutes. That fire was dangerous to
              stand around as it was a stream of sparklers at times that could blow
              at most any direction at times and for quite a ways. There was one
              thru-hiker I met on the summmit that finished that day and some that
              were starting out on Jan 1st heading north. A few of us gathered in
              the shelter and chatted in the dark for a while out of the wind.

              The temperatures weren't too bad except for the wind chill, I think Ed
              told me he measured 26F on his thermometer. And the wind direction
              changed over night and caught me be surprise as it blew into the end I
              had left open for easy entrance/exit. I had to change the flaps on my
              WinterTarp after a while because of the way the wind was hitting my
              insulation but after I did that I was protected well enough. The
              wind, lack of a campfire, and early darkness dampened the socializing.
              I retired fairly early even by my standards and got off of the
              mountain early in the morning as well as the wind was still a problem
              on the mountain and I needed to catch up with Ed and Karen in the
              parking lot.

              I'm not sure how many people were there all together. There were some
              tents, some tarps, and about 8 hammocks.

              Dave Womble
              aka Youngblood AT2000
              designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extenders, SnugFit Underquilt, and
              WinterTarp

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                doesn't sound like socializing was an easy thing to do.
                i would have liked to see you guys, but i'm glad i didn't try to make that drive<G>.