Re: New Years

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
      I'm planning on being there. Last weather forecast didn't seem too
      bad and last word I've heard on the spring near the shelter was that
      it was dry. The info on the water is getting dated but unless I hear
      otherwise I plan on bringing all the water I will need.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

      > Who plans on being at Springer this year
      > for New Years..
      > Ed will you be there?
      > I haven't seen much talk about this?
      >
      > Rogene

    • Stuhr, Tim
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
        I'm planning on being there.

        I also want to do a hike from Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday to Friday
        morning. If I didn't go until Wednesday I would want to hole up
        somewhere to catch the Gators in their bowl game starting at 1 PM on New
        Years' Day. Any suggestions on the hike or the holing up? Maybe I
        could start Wednesday at Unicoi Gap and hike back to Neel's Gap. Any
        water reports for this section or any interested in joining me?

        Tim (Stoikurt)

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
          Oh yeah, Karen & I plan to be there. Hope you can make it too...Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Author, Hammock Camping book

          Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
            I am working on being there with Rosaleen and Bruce if we make it from
            visiting a friend.

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 28, 2007
              Tim,

              You Gators have lots of wants <grin>. You might check with Josh and
              Leigh at the Hiker Hostel and see if they will be watching the game.
              Some years they have been at Springer and some years they haven't.
              They have a web site http://hikerhostel.com/ , do shuttles at times,
              and probably have a good handle on the water situation. They are only
              5 miles from Woody Gap on GA60. We are getting rain now in Atlanta,
              have had some, and look to get some more... but I don't know what the
              water sources are like on the AT. I'm still open to dropping your car
              off and taking you to a trailhead on the Georgia AT on New Year's Day,
              but I'm heading home to Atlanta after that.

              Dave Womble
              aka Youngblood 2000AT
              WinterTarp

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...> wrote:

              > I'm planning on being there.
              >
              > I also want to do a hike from Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday to Friday
              > morning. If I didn't go until Wednesday I would want to hole up
              > somewhere to catch the Gators in their bowl game starting at 1 PM on New
              > Years' Day. Any suggestions on the hike or the holing up? Maybe I
              > could start Wednesday at Unicoi Gap and hike back to Neel's Gap. Any
              > water reports for this section or any interested in joining me?
              >
              > Tim (Stoikurt)

            • Stuhr, Tim
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 28, 2007
                Thanks Dave, I appreciate your offer. I know someone just west of
                Blairsville that I'd like to visit so I may check with them and see if
                they are able to help out. Also thanks for the Hiker Hostel info, I'll
                check with them too.

                Tim Stuhr

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
                  Dave, I heard indirectly yesterday from Mountain Crossings that the spring
                  was running again-probably from the rain a few days ago. Then it rained
                  heavy here yesterday, so I suspect the spring is fine now..Ed

                  <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

                  > Who plans on being at Springer this year
                  > for New Years..
                  > Ed will you be there?
                  > I haven't seen much talk about this?
                  >
                  > Rogene

                • marta_clark
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 30, 2007
                    A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
                    then, and there's been more rain since.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>
                      wrote:

                      > A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
                      > then, and there's been more rain since.

                      They were right, there was plenty of water.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                        i been meaning to ask... how was it?

                        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
                        wrote:

                        > A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
                        > then, and there's been more rain since.

                        They were right, there was plenty of water.

                      • Rosaleen Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                          Hi, Gang-

                          Well, I made it to Springer for New Year-sort of. Midnight struck while a
                          small group of us were on our way up. The trip from where we were took
                          longer than any of us anticipated. It was cold enough and late enough that
                          I went looking for a place to sleep and crawled into my sleeping bag. We
                          might have been able to visit briefly in the AM, but one of the group was in
                          a rush to leave due to the cold. I suspect it was the biting wind that put
                          the coldness over the edge. The night certainly was clear and beautiful,
                          and sleeping on a mountain top was a great way to start the year. I just
                          hope missing the gang and the cold are not signs of how the rest of the year
                          goes. So near, yet so far.

                          Cheers!

                          Rosaleen
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Sorry we missed you Rosaleen. Karen & I did leave early the next morning-it
                            was just too cold to stand around & try to eat breakfast. But we greatly
                            enjoyed the sunrise from our hammocks! There were probably only 6 or so
                            hammockers this year-I guess the cold & wind kept others away. But like you
                            said, waking up on Springer Mtn on New Year's morning is too good to
                            miss..Ed

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                              Tim,

                              Very windy. We didn't have a campfire as the signs were still in
                              place about a campfire ban due to the extreme drought in the area. It
                              was pretty damp from the recent rains to the point that it was hard to
                              get stakes seated well were I set up but a ban is a ban and windy is
                              windy. There was a campfire going in the meadow with a group of folks
                              and I walked down there for a few minutes. That fire was dangerous to
                              stand around as it was a stream of sparklers at times that could blow
                              at most any direction at times and for quite a ways. There was one
                              thru-hiker I met on the summmit that finished that day and some that
                              were starting out on Jan 1st heading north. A few of us gathered in
                              the shelter and chatted in the dark for a while out of the wind.

                              The temperatures weren't too bad except for the wind chill, I think Ed
                              told me he measured 26F on his thermometer. And the wind direction
                              changed over night and caught me be surprise as it blew into the end I
                              had left open for easy entrance/exit. I had to change the flaps on my
                              WinterTarp after a while because of the way the wind was hitting my
                              insulation but after I did that I was protected well enough. The
                              wind, lack of a campfire, and early darkness dampened the socializing.
                              I retired fairly early even by my standards and got off of the
                              mountain early in the morning as well as the wind was still a problem
                              on the mountain and I needed to catch up with Ed and Karen in the
                              parking lot.

                              I'm not sure how many people were there all together. There were some
                              tents, some tarps, and about 8 hammocks.

                              Dave Womble
                              aka Youngblood AT2000
                              designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extenders, SnugFit Underquilt, and
                              WinterTarp

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                                doesn't sound like socializing was an easy thing to do.
                                i would have liked to see you guys, but i'm glad i didn't try to make that drive<G>.