New Years

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 26, 2007
      Who plans on being at Springer this year
      for New Years..
      Ed will you be there?
      I haven't seen much talk about this?

      Rogene

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
        I'm planning on being there. Last weather forecast didn't seem too
        bad and last word I've heard on the spring near the shelter was that
        it was dry. The info on the water is getting dated but unless I hear
        otherwise I plan on bringing all the water I will need.

        Dave Womble
        aka Youngblood AT2000
        WinterTarp

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

        > Who plans on being at Springer this year
        > for New Years..
        > Ed will you be there?
        > I haven't seen much talk about this?
        >
        > Rogene

      • Stuhr, Tim
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
          I'm planning on being there.

          I also want to do a hike from Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday to Friday
          morning. If I didn't go until Wednesday I would want to hole up
          somewhere to catch the Gators in their bowl game starting at 1 PM on New
          Years' Day. Any suggestions on the hike or the holing up? Maybe I
          could start Wednesday at Unicoi Gap and hike back to Neel's Gap. Any
          water reports for this section or any interested in joining me?

          Tim (Stoikurt)

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
            Oh yeah, Karen & I plan to be there. Hope you can make it too...Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Author, Hammock Camping book

            Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
              I am working on being there with Rosaleen and Bruce if we make it from
              visiting a friend.

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 28, 2007
                Tim,

                You Gators have lots of wants <grin>. You might check with Josh and
                Leigh at the Hiker Hostel and see if they will be watching the game.
                Some years they have been at Springer and some years they haven't.
                They have a web site http://hikerhostel.com/ , do shuttles at times,
                and probably have a good handle on the water situation. They are only
                5 miles from Woody Gap on GA60. We are getting rain now in Atlanta,
                have had some, and look to get some more... but I don't know what the
                water sources are like on the AT. I'm still open to dropping your car
                off and taking you to a trailhead on the Georgia AT on New Year's Day,
                but I'm heading home to Atlanta after that.

                Dave Womble
                aka Youngblood 2000AT
                WinterTarp

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stuhr, Tim" <tstuhr@...> wrote:

                > I'm planning on being there.
                >
                > I also want to do a hike from Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday to Friday
                > morning. If I didn't go until Wednesday I would want to hole up
                > somewhere to catch the Gators in their bowl game starting at 1 PM on New
                > Years' Day. Any suggestions on the hike or the holing up? Maybe I
                > could start Wednesday at Unicoi Gap and hike back to Neel's Gap. Any
                > water reports for this section or any interested in joining me?
                >
                > Tim (Stoikurt)

              • Stuhr, Tim
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 28, 2007
                  Thanks Dave, I appreciate your offer. I know someone just west of
                  Blairsville that I'd like to visit so I may check with them and see if
                  they are able to help out. Also thanks for the Hiker Hostel info, I'll
                  check with them too.

                  Tim Stuhr

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
                    Dave, I heard indirectly yesterday from Mountain Crossings that the spring
                    was running again-probably from the rain a few days ago. Then it rained
                    heavy here yesterday, so I suspect the spring is fine now..Ed

                    <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

                    > Who plans on being at Springer this year
                    > for New Years..
                    > Ed will you be there?
                    > I haven't seen much talk about this?
                    >
                    > Rogene

                  • marta_clark
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2007
                      A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
                      then, and there's been more rain since.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>
                        wrote:

                        > A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
                        > then, and there's been more rain since.

                        They were right, there was plenty of water.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2008
                          i been meaning to ask... how was it?

                          Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
                          wrote:

                          > A Whiteblazer who was on Springer a few days ago said it was running
                          > then, and there's been more rain since.

                          They were right, there was plenty of water.

                        • Rosaleen Sullivan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Hi, Gang-

                            Well, I made it to Springer for New Year-sort of. Midnight struck while a
                            small group of us were on our way up. The trip from where we were took
                            longer than any of us anticipated. It was cold enough and late enough that
                            I went looking for a place to sleep and crawled into my sleeping bag. We
                            might have been able to visit briefly in the AM, but one of the group was in
                            a rush to leave due to the cold. I suspect it was the biting wind that put
                            the coldness over the edge. The night certainly was clear and beautiful,
                            and sleeping on a mountain top was a great way to start the year. I just
                            hope missing the gang and the cold are not signs of how the rest of the year
                            goes. So near, yet so far.

                            Cheers!

                            Rosaleen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                              Sorry we missed you Rosaleen. Karen & I did leave early the next morning-it
                              was just too cold to stand around & try to eat breakfast. But we greatly
                              enjoyed the sunrise from our hammocks! There were probably only 6 or so
                              hammockers this year-I guess the cold & wind kept others away. But like you
                              said, waking up on Springer Mtn on New Year's morning is too good to
                              miss..Ed

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                                Tim,

                                Very windy. We didn't have a campfire as the signs were still in
                                place about a campfire ban due to the extreme drought in the area. It
                                was pretty damp from the recent rains to the point that it was hard to
                                get stakes seated well were I set up but a ban is a ban and windy is
                                windy. There was a campfire going in the meadow with a group of folks
                                and I walked down there for a few minutes. That fire was dangerous to
                                stand around as it was a stream of sparklers at times that could blow
                                at most any direction at times and for quite a ways. There was one
                                thru-hiker I met on the summmit that finished that day and some that
                                were starting out on Jan 1st heading north. A few of us gathered in
                                the shelter and chatted in the dark for a while out of the wind.

                                The temperatures weren't too bad except for the wind chill, I think Ed
                                told me he measured 26F on his thermometer. And the wind direction
                                changed over night and caught me be surprise as it blew into the end I
                                had left open for easy entrance/exit. I had to change the flaps on my
                                WinterTarp after a while because of the way the wind was hitting my
                                insulation but after I did that I was protected well enough. The
                                wind, lack of a campfire, and early darkness dampened the socializing.
                                I retired fairly early even by my standards and got off of the
                                mountain early in the morning as well as the wind was still a problem
                                on the mountain and I needed to catch up with Ed and Karen in the
                                parking lot.

                                I'm not sure how many people were there all together. There were some
                                tents, some tarps, and about 8 hammocks.

                                Dave Womble
                                aka Youngblood AT2000
                                designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extenders, SnugFit Underquilt, and
                                WinterTarp

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
                                  doesn't sound like socializing was an easy thing to do.
                                  i would have liked to see you guys, but i'm glad i didn't try to make that drive<G>.