Beginning Tarp Question

  • blockflote2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2007
      This week I bought a Mosquito Bliss hammock from REI since I they were on sale and I
      thought it would be a cheap way to give this a try. Any cheap reccomendations for hanging
      rope and tarp to complete the ensemble? I would still like it to be light weight.
      Dennis
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2007
        the lightest tarps are usually silnylon. there are a few tarps out there that are made of fabrics lighter than silnylon, but they are far from cheap.

        you probably are not considering silnylon cheap, but if you could swing about $120.00, you could have an extremely nice tarp in the new "winter tarp" by speer hammocks.

        the next choice would be one of the somewhat heaver tarps made of a "coated" fabric.
        they're not terribly heavy & if the cost is a real concern, a coated tarp would probably serve you fine.
        later on, maybe you could get a silnylon tarp & reduce your bulk & weight a little more.

        of course if you're the DIY type & have a sewing machine, you could buy silnylon from speer hammocks ($4.25.00 per yard) & make a nice silnylon tarp for about half the cost.

        most people hang their tarps by a cord that has been added to a tie out loop on end of the ridge line. this requires less line than running a cord or rope from tree to tree.
        and a light weight weight cord like speer hammocks sells is ideal... light but strong.
        ...tim

        blockflote2001 <blockflote2001@...> wrote:
        This week I bought a Mosquito Bliss hammock from REI since I they were on sale and I
        thought it would be a cheap way to give this a try. Any cheap reccomendations for hanging
        rope and tarp to complete the ensemble? I would still like it to be light weight.
        Dennis

      • Billy Chard
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2007
          You can try to Eagles Nest product line. They have a oversized tarp
          that I use

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2007
            also HH has a coated hex tarp that may be cheaper than sil.

            Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote: You can try to Eagles Nest product line. They have a oversized tarp
            that I use

          • Nathan Denn
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 25, 2007
              Dennis,

              I have the same hammock as you. I use a 9x9 tarp from
              sportsmansguide.com. The white one is cheap and it
              has protected me fine. I pitch it diagonally using
              the ropes that came with the tarp. This tarp has also
              been versatile enough to tarp camp when I cant find
              good trees.

              Check in the photo's section of the group page. Look
              for the album called Nate's Hammock. You will see a
              few pics of my set up that might help you out. The
              cold weather rig pic shows the tarp the best. I have
              changed my hanging system recently and don't tie to
              trees that way anymore. Also, that is a poncho
              suspended under my hammock as a wind block and a
              sleeping bag surrounding the whole hammock. Hope this helps!

              -Nate

              Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
              John Wayne

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs