Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • pure mahem
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
      Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if I needed one.

      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.