PeaPod tips from Ed Speer and other users, please?

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2007
      Hi,
      I got my new PeaPod from Ed Speer yesterday. I have been experimenting
      with it over night and today. I'm glad I talked to Ed before using it
      the first time. He informed me to start with about 5" more sag in the
      pod than the hammock. So I have attempted to do that, though that
      leaves me with more distance between the end of the pod and the
      hammock knot than shows in the pictures/directions which start with
      1". It looks like I've got a good 5" between the bottom of the hammock
      and the pod before I get in.

      So the trick is to have no air gaps and yet not compress the down,
      right? When I reach my hand down between the hammock and PeaPod (
      after I get in ), it feels to me like the PeaPod is just barely
      touching the underside hammock at the low point, or even very close to
      a very small gap. But, it's kind of hard to tell. It occurs to me that
      I might be compressing the down a little just by trying to get my hand
      in there, since 900 FP down compresses so easily. Any way, it feels
      like there is very little compression, even a minute gap.

      BUT, when I reach around and feel from the outside of the PeaPod while
      still in the hammock, it feels like there is a narrow spot, right down
      the middle at the low point, where the loft is way less than 2.5",
      maybe 1" or less. So I increased sag about 1 or 2" more, and that
      seemed to give me a bit more loft on the bottom, but not over 2". If I
      move my hand just a few inches to the right or left, it feels like
      there is plenty of loft. So should I add even more sag? This will put
      me more like the 3 or 4 inches from the end knot as shown in the
      directions ( one picture shows only an inch from pod end to end knot)
      for when you are adding extra insulation beneath, and it would give me
      what appears to be a good bit more than 5" between hammock bottom and
      PeaPod.

      I guess I'm worrying that I'll go to far and introduce an air gap and
      cause a cold spot. Should I lean more towards this gap in order to
      avoid down compression? Or could it be that there just isn't much down
      in this chamber at the bottom and I need to scoot some down from the
      ends? Is this very likely?

      Any tips from users will be appreciated.

      I have not been able to test at really cold temps yet. However, I
      spent the night last night at 44* with mild wind in just my BMWs
      Polargard Cocoon pants(8 oz) and hooded jacket (14 oz) and wool socks.
      That's it, no thermal long johns and no bag or quilt. I started with
      my hood up and the PeaPod closed except for a very small vent hole.
      Within about 10 minutes, I was over heating and let the jacket hood
      down. I was plenty warm thru the night, sometimes even fully unzipping
      the jacket.

      I thought that was pretty darn good results. I went back out
      today for a little nap, in just my cotton PJ bottoms and a cotton
      t-shirt, no socks, under grey skys and 56*. Before I could even get
      in, it started
      raining buckets and the wind started blowing really hard. As I lay
      there, I really thought my tarp was going to blow away, and my hammock
      was whipping around like crazy. The wind would enter under the tarp
      and almost lift it straight up, I thought it was going to pull the
      stakes up. A little rain blew on the ends of my PeaPod, and the temp
      dropped 10* in a matter of minutes. But with the PPod almost fully
      closed, I was fine for an hour or so at 46* and a very stout wind
      chill. I didn't feel any cold at all ( again, no quilt or other
      insulation other than PeaPod. I may well have gotten chilled after a
      few hours, but still, I thought that was great results. Even with not
      much loft under my low point.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2007
        Bill, sounds like you're on your way with the PeaPod. Paying attention as
        you are, you'll be able to adjust to most changing conditions. One of your
        own suggestions is to reposition some of the down currently in the ends to
        the middle of the PeaPod-it's designed specifically just for that, so go
        ahead & move down to the middle where you notice less than expected loft.
        When you are curled up on your side, you don't use the far ends of the
        PeaPod anyway, so that down can now be moved where it's more needed, like
        beneath your hips & shoulders.

        Stay warm out there...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
          Thanks, Ed. In fact, right after I posted I did reposition some down,
          trying to adjust only that one center tube as much as possible. That
          definitely helped, so that may have been the problem rather than too
          not enough sag. I'll continue to experiment with that. It is amazing
          to me how easy it is to move this down around, to the point that I'll
          have to be careful not to remove to much down from an area where I
          will still need some!

          Assuming NO addition of extra insulation to the Pea Pod, will the
          distance from the end knots vary with the amount of sag in the
          hammock? ( I tend to hang with a lot of sag) If so, what if I use a
          ridge line to set the sag the same each hang? Should I expect to have
          to readjust the PeaPod each time with a ridge line and the same amount
          of hammock sag?

          Regardless, it appears you really have quite the product here, Ed.
          Leaving aside debates about the worries of keeping down dry, and the
          relatively high cost ( as any hi quality LARGE down bag would have,
          actually it's very fairly priced considering), this may be the most
          efficient way of keeping a hammock warm, considering weight and
          comfort ( vs pads).
          I have used it for periods of several hours now in varying conditions
          from the 40's with high winds and rain to clear and little wind in the
          mid 20s. So far, I have each time been warmer than expected. Last
          night in the mid 20's (no wind) for several hours, I was not cold at
          all, no cold spots. That may not be surprising, but here is the thing:
          NO BAG OR QUILT! That and a short ccf pad were handy under the hammock
          as I expected to be cold and need them. But I wanted to try it with
          just a light weight set of long-johns, my Bozeman Mountain Works
          polarguard 8 0z pants and 14 oz parka and neck gaiter/balaclava. I was
          plenty warm. So, using a field condition fudge factor of at least 10*,
          I think I should be ok with this combo in the hi 30s on up. As long as
          I can keep it dry and out of the wind. That's great considering no
          extra top quilt weight, and I would have this jacket and pants with me
          any way if expecting lows below 45. So, works better than expected so
          far, though I have not yet been able to test all the way to the 20*
          rating for the bottom. But no problem at 25*. Excellent product!
          Bill

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
            Great Bill. It's turned nice & cold here now too-wish I had time to sleep
            out! Repositioning down in the PeaPod is a nifty way to better use the
            weight you're already carrying. It can easily be moved to the spot where
            it's most needed at any given time. Often, the far ends of the PeaPod need
            less loft than the area below your body core.

            As far as adjusting the PeaPod sag, it should only have to be adjusted once
            for any given setup depending on the amount of hammock sag, your weight, &
            the amount of extra insulation added between the PeaPod & the hammock. This
            one-time adjustment is to ensure that the PeaPod isn't being stretched tight
            enough to reduce its loft. As you noted, the adjustment is accomplished
            when tying the ends of the PeaPod to the hammock knots using the PeaPod's
            own draw cords. Once you've done this a time or two, the proper adjustment
            should become obvious. If you're using an integral ridgeline to set the
            hammock sag each time, then the PeaPod would also have the same proper sag
            each time, unless you're adding variable amounts of additional insulation
            between the PeaPod & the hammock-things like sleep pads, blanket liners,
            extra clothes, leaves, etc could require a slight adjustment to the PeaPod
            sag. Because it is so flexible, the PeaPod can be used in most any weather
            condition-opened & vented for moderate temperatures, or fully closed &
            loaded with as much extra insulation as needed for extreme temperatures.

            I guess I'm a colder sleeper than you are-I always use a light down blanket
            over me in the PeaPod to fill up that open space above my body. The hammock
            sides hold the PeaPod above my body about 6" & I like to keep that space
            filled for warmth, thus the blanket. Of course each person is different &
            I've had customers who swear they never completely close the PeaPod because
            it's too hot! Those warmies you wear must be good.

            Stay warm..Ed

            --- In hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@...> wrote:

            > Bill, sounds like you're on your way with the PeaPod. Paying
            attention as
            > you are, you'll be able to adjust to most changing conditions. One
            of your
            > own suggestions is to reposition some of the down currently in the
            ends to
            > the middle of the PeaPod-it's designed specifically just for that, so go
            > ahead & move down to the middle where you notice less than expected
            loft.
            > When you are curled up on your side, you don't use the far ends of the
            > PeaPod anyway, so that down can now be moved where it's more needed,
            like
            > beneath your hips & shoulders.
            >

            > Stay warm out there...Ed
            >

            > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
            >
            > Editor, Hammock Camping News
            >
            > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com
> [...]
            > today for a little nap, in just my cotton PJ bottoms and a cotton
            > t-shirt, no socks, under grey skys and 56*. Before I could even get
            > in, it started
            > raining buckets and the wind started blowing really hard. As I lay
            > there, I really thought my tarp was going to blow away, and my hammock
            > was whipping around like crazy. The wind would enter under the tarp
            > and almost lift it straight up, I thought it was going to pull the
            > stakes up. A little rain blew on the ends of my PeaPod, and the temp
            > dropped 10* in a matter of minutes. But with the PPod almost fully
            > closed, I was fine for an hour or so at 46* and a very stout wind
            > chill. I didn't feel any cold at all ( again, no quilt or other
            > insulation other than PeaPod. I may well have gotten chilled after a
            > few hours, but still, I thought that was great results. Even with not

          • Johan van Dijk
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
              thanx to all of you.

              Bill for the timing of his testing, since I am currently looking to buy a
              peapod + some more (already in pm to Mr Speer himself....

              Ed (Mr Speer) for all his work, and of course the rest of you for all your
              valuable input.
              Just trying to figure out what else I "need" from somewhere in the states to
              ship it all at once to The Netherlands...

              Unfortunately I won't be able to have it all sorted, sent and awaiting
              arrival before x-mas and that is all my own doing ;-(

              Grtz Johan

              mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
              email: gonewalkabout2003@...

              http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk