Re: Standing Indian Campground Loop Info

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rxhoop2002" <rxhoop@...> wrote:

      > I have hiked this loop a couple of times (2000 &2002)and have never
      > figured out the right way to get back to the campground. Have any of
      > you recently hiked this? I'm hoping that the blue-blaze trail back to
      > the campground is properly marked.

      I've hiked it before, the last time was a couple of years ago.

      For those not familiar, the Standing Indian Campground loop is on the
      Appalachian Trail in North Carolina, near the Georgia border where the
      AT makes a big arc such that you can use auxiliary/sides trail to make
      a loop out of it. It is a 20 to 25 mile loop hike... usually, but
      there is more than one way to hike it.

      First of all you need to pick which trails you want to use and the
      direction you want to go. I think most folks start at the trailhead
      parking area at Standing Indian Campground and take the Kimsey Creek
      Trail to the AT at Deep Gap. Hike the AT from Deep Gap to Glassmine
      Gap and then take the Long Branch Trail back to the Standing Indian
      Campground. That is the direction I have hiked it and the last time I
      missed one turn of the Kimsey Creek Trail and had to back track a half
      a mile or so to pick up where I missed a turn. I was talking to
      someone and the turn was easy to miss if you weren't paying attention
      as it was like a sidetrail into the woods off or a road bed where the
      road bed kept on going for a half a mile or so. <grin> Glassmine Gap
      was marked with a signpost and the Long Branch Trail took us right
      back to the trailhead parking at Standing Indian Campground.

      The Kimsey Creek Trail in that direction as best I recall peters out
      into a campgroud near Deep Gap that is along side of the forest
      service road that ends at Deep Gap so once you hit that you just
      follow the road. The Kimsey Creek Trail may be harder to pick up from
      Deep Gap hiking it in the opposite direction, I haven't tried that.

      How did you hike the loop and where did you have problems? Instead of
      using Glassmine Gap and the Long Branch Trail, you can use Rock Gap
      and the forest service road to get back to Standing Indian Campground.
      I think it is about the same mileage but with about a 1.5 mile walk
      on a forest service road. It would be pretty hard to miss Rock Gap
      and Standing Indian Campground. I recall the Kimsey Creek Trail being
      well marked around Standing Indian Campground if you start at the
      trailhead along the forest service road.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp.