Standing Indian Campground Loop Info

  • rxhoop2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
      I have hiked this loop a couple of times (2000 &2002)and have never
      figured out the right way to get back to the campground. Have any of
      you recently hiked this? I'm hoping that the blue-blaze trail back to
      the campground is properly marked.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
        The Kimsey Creek Trail is the 4 mile connector. It is well marked
        except for the last quarter of a mile through the campground. That does
        not matter unless you start out on the KCT. (Even then, it is not too hard)

        For the log of my hike on this trail a couple years ago:

        http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm

        Risk

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rxhoop2002" <rxhoop@...> wrote:

          > I have hiked this loop a couple of times (2000 &2002)and have never
          > figured out the right way to get back to the campground. Have any of
          > you recently hiked this? I'm hoping that the blue-blaze trail back to
          > the campground is properly marked.

          I've hiked it before, the last time was a couple of years ago.

          For those not familiar, the Standing Indian Campground loop is on the
          Appalachian Trail in North Carolina, near the Georgia border where the
          AT makes a big arc such that you can use auxiliary/sides trail to make
          a loop out of it. It is a 20 to 25 mile loop hike... usually, but
          there is more than one way to hike it.

          First of all you need to pick which trails you want to use and the
          direction you want to go. I think most folks start at the trailhead
          parking area at Standing Indian Campground and take the Kimsey Creek
          Trail to the AT at Deep Gap. Hike the AT from Deep Gap to Glassmine
          Gap and then take the Long Branch Trail back to the Standing Indian
          Campground. That is the direction I have hiked it and the last time I
          missed one turn of the Kimsey Creek Trail and had to back track a half
          a mile or so to pick up where I missed a turn. I was talking to
          someone and the turn was easy to miss if you weren't paying attention
          as it was like a sidetrail into the woods off or a road bed where the
          road bed kept on going for a half a mile or so. <grin> Glassmine Gap
          was marked with a signpost and the Long Branch Trail took us right
          back to the trailhead parking at Standing Indian Campground.

          The Kimsey Creek Trail in that direction as best I recall peters out
          into a campgroud near Deep Gap that is along side of the forest
          service road that ends at Deep Gap so once you hit that you just
          follow the road. The Kimsey Creek Trail may be harder to pick up from
          Deep Gap hiking it in the opposite direction, I haven't tried that.

          How did you hike the loop and where did you have problems? Instead of
          using Glassmine Gap and the Long Branch Trail, you can use Rock Gap
          and the forest service road to get back to Standing Indian Campground.
          I think it is about the same mileage but with about a 1.5 mile walk
          on a forest service road. It would be pretty hard to miss Rock Gap
          and Standing Indian Campground. I recall the Kimsey Creek Trail being
          well marked around Standing Indian Campground if you start at the
          trailhead along the forest service road.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood AT2000
          WinterTarp.