wicking webbing

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2003
      On my 4 day hike last week, my daughter and I slept in hammocks one
      rainy night. I noticed a difference in wicking between the polypro
      straps on the 2 hammocks. One hammock used the "heavy weave" straps
      from OWF, the other the "tight weave" straps, which are a little
      lighter. The "tight weave" soaked up water and wicked it under the
      tarp, with water dripping off the liner socks tied on a drip lines.
      The "heavy weave" seemed to absorb much less water and the liner sock
      drip lines stayed dry. There could be some difference in how much
      rain hit the 2 types of webbing because of the trees they were tied to
      or some other factor. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed
      different wicking properties for the different types of polypro webbing.
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2003
        Oh! I love it when we come up with good questions.

        Debra,

        I'd think we need to think about wicking ability of the webbing
        (ability of water to travel upwards against the force of gravity
        because of capillary flow, the tendency of the webbing to let water
        run through it's fabric with gravity, and the tendency of the webbing
        to absorb water. It may be the middle property which makes the most
        difference. Testing this may not be easy.

        A very quick (and inadequate) test was just completed in my kitchen.
        I soaked a 2 inch section of 1 inch hard webbing and a 2 inch section
        of soft 1 inch webbing until saturated. Then I hung the two webbings
        vertically. Within a few minutes it was obvious that the hard
        webbing had allowed the water to move further down its length than
        the soft webbing.

        It also seemed obvious that the soft webbing was acting more like a
        sponge than like a series of vertical pipes. I'd guess the water
        molecules had more affinity for the rough fibers in the soft webbing
        than the harder fibers in the hard webbing.

        This does not answer your direct question, but helps us to define the
        test we really need.

        Now, if anyone wants to give me about 10K to do a nice study, I'd be
        glad to work on it further.

        Rick
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
        <dweisens@a...> wrote:
        > On my 4 day hike last week, my daughter and I slept in hammocks one
        > rainy night. I noticed a difference in wicking between the polypro
        > straps on the 2 hammocks. One hammock used the "heavy weave" straps
        > from OWF, the other the "tight weave" straps, which are a little
        > lighter. The "tight weave" soaked up water and wicked it under the
        > tarp, with water dripping off the liner socks tied on a drip lines.
        > The "heavy weave" seemed to absorb much less water and the liner
        sock
        > drip lines stayed dry. There could be some difference in how much
        > rain hit the 2 types of webbing because of the trees they were tied
        > or some other factor. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed
        > different wicking properties for the different types of polypro
        webbing.
      • Per-Arne Asp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
          wrote:
          .
          .
          > Now, if anyone wants to give me about 10K to do a nice study, I'd
          be
          > glad to work on it further.
          .
          .

          Well here you have them: KKKKKKKKKK
          As a bonus I throw in another one: K
          Are you sure its enough?
          :-)

          //p-a
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
            Cool! After the check clears I will submit my work plan.

            Rick

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Per-Arne Asp" <per-