Instructions for Tying Shockcord to Guyline to Make a Self Tensioning Guyline

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2007
      I have been using shockcord on the guyline of my silnylon tarps for
      years to maintain tension on them so they stay reasonably taut
      overnight. I have used several techniques and I have posted
      instructions of how I now prefer to do that. The larger the tarp
      gets, the more useful self tensioning guylines are and the new Speer
      WinterTarp is a large tarp that will benefit from these self
      tensioning guylines.

      The technique I prefer with large tarps that can be pitched at the
      ground or very close to the ground gets the shockcord as close to the
      tarp as possible. This technique puts the shockcord through the tarp
      tieouts themselves, which is as close as you can get. Anyway, there
      are two files I uploaded; one is how to tie the shockcord to the
      guyline and the second is for how to tie a clove hitch knot using the
      two loop method. They are basically photos in MSWord documents and
      are located in the files section under "Youngblood's". The are titled
      "Self Tensioning Guyline 12072007.doc" and "Two Loop Method of Tying a
      Clove Hitch Knot- 12072007.doc". Hopefully this link will take you to
      the "Youngblood's" folder where they are located:
      http://tinyurl.com/3thvr .

      These instuctions are written around the 1/16 inch guyline and 3/32
      inch shockcord that are available from Speer Hammocks,
      www.speerhammocks.com and the technique works very well with that
      combination. There are parameters involved (diameters, friction, bend
      radius, amount and tension of stretch, etc) such that it may work well
      with other combinations or it may not, you will have to try those on a
      case by case basis to find out.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp