Re: Hammock Camping Re: It's a Shame about Ray

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2003
      Tony wrote:

      <<When people as me if they should consider a hammock. I tell them that if they don't have a problem sleeping on their back and/or sides (my shoulder hurts just thinking about it) on the ground, you can't beat a tarp, tarptent and/or lightweight tent (Nomad, 2-4-2, Europa II, etc.).>>

      I'm not sure I agree that you can't beat a tarp, tent, etc in that situation. I have two Nomads and I LOVED my tents! I told Ed there was no way I was giving up my 2-4-2 or Lite-n-Airy, they were my favorite homes. I slept like a baby with the right thermarest.

      But..he convinced me to try it and now, 2 hammocks later, my tents are sitting in the closet gathering dust. I don't forsee anytime in the near future I will have a need for them. And with the hammock and the tarp, I have more versitility than either a tent or the tarp gives me alone. I just don't see that the hammock is an alternative "if" sleeping on the ground is uncomfortable. Heck, it's an alternative even if sleeping on the ground IS comfortable.

      Karen