Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 4, 2007
      Ralph,

      Jokes that would gross out Howard Stern is what they prefer. Mostly
      University of Wyoming jokes about sheep.

      I could hear them but not see them. I tried not to start a stampede.
      I really hoped their night vision was better than mine. Elk are not quiet.

      Dick Matthews

      Ralph Oborn wrote:

      > I think the only danger is hanging across a game trail with big animals
      > like elk or moose. I have had to sing and tell jokes to let elks know
      > where I am on a couple of moonless, overcast nights.
      >
      > Dick Matthews
      >
      > I gotta ask....
      >
      > What type of jokes do moose enjoy?
      >
      > Ralph

      > _

    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.