My new underquilt and tarp

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
      Last night I had the chance to sleep out with my new underquilt. Temp this
      morning was 30 degrees. I had my new tarp set up about 4 inches off the ground
      but the ends weren't fully closed, and I was using the peapod as a blanket
      over me. My back and shoulders felt warm, and the peapod blanket kept me
      comfortable in flannel pants, socks and a t-shirt. The only thing was I forgot a
      knit cap so my head got cold. Once I pulled the peapod blanket over my head and
      face I was cozy warm though. I was worried about my breath soaking the down
      but I didn't notice it. As warm as I was, I had to check the temp several
      times to be sure it was right. Definitely 2" below freezing! When I walked out
      by the car it was all frosty. Thanks for some great products, Ed, and Dave.
      Dave Fox

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
        Dave, glad to hear about your test run last night. You're all decked out
        with Speer equipment-Hammock, PeaPod, SnugFit UnderQuilt & WinterTarp-right?
        It was similarly cold here last night, but I didn't get the chance to sleep
        out. Now that's it's finally getting to be winter temps, I'm anxious to get
        back out myself. Recently though, I did test the SnugFit beneath my hammock
        with the PeaPod wrapped around everything---but it was too warm for the 32*F
        night! I really like to sleep warm, but that was a bit much even for me.
        The trick with this setup is to NOT stretch the PeaPod too much or it will
        compress the PeaPod & the SnugFit, reducing the combined loft, possibly
        making it less warm than the SnugFit or PeaPod alone.

        Like you found, I've always been comfortably warm down to 30*F with a
        suitable blanket or sleeping bag & the SnugFit underneath.

        It was quite windy here last night, so the need for the large WinterTarp
        would have been great. Did you have any cold wind?

        ..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
          Dave,

          Glad you had a positive experience with your new and old gear and hope
          you have many more. And thanks for the compliment it is always nice
          to get positive feedback and we do appreciate it.

          Sounds like we did about the same thing last night! I slept out back
          in 30F weather with my SnugFit, WinterTarp, and a prototype top quilt.
          I didn't decide to do that until I heard the weather forecast on the
          eleven oclock news. I had the tarp near the ground and closed off on
          the end that was pointing NW because the weather forecast called for
          winds from that direction. Don't know if the wind happened or not but
          I didn't want to take any changes as I was trying to get a feel for
          rating the prototype top quilt.

          I started feeling a little cool underneath after I moved towards the
          head end of my hammock to reach my headlamp, which I had stowed on the
          suspension line of my hammock. Took me a while to warm back up on the
          underside once I repositioned myself. That is one thing about these
          large underquilts that is very different to what I am use to when
          camping, you have to warm the spot you are on and if you move around
          that process takes a while especially when you are at the low end of
          its temperature rating or it is very cold. You have to just grin and
          bear it until you warm your spot back up... it is like moving to the
          cold side on a big bed on a very cold night! From now on, I will stow
          my headlamp so I don't have to leave my warm spot to reach it. <grin>.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood AT2000
          WinterTarp

        • amendment2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
            Yes, I'm going to make a small bag to hold my glasses, light, and watch on
            the suspension line. Maybe out of bug netting. Previously I just wrapped the
            headlamp, and watch around the suspension line and hooked the glasses over but
            I want something light but better able to compartmentalize the the things.
            I'm afraid of something falling off the line and getting under me against the
            hammock. I am thinking of a smallish triangle with velcro to put a shelf in
            one end also for the trail guide or journal I look at before falling asleep.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
              Boy Ed,
              I can imagine how warm I could get using the peapod wrapped around the whole
              underquilt, a sleeping pad inside, then velcroing the pod together. Getting
              toasty jst thinking about it!
              Dave Fox

            • Carey Parks
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
                I find the little bag that came with my HH Expedition to be good for that
                small stuff, and there's a couple clips. But I tend to have other things
                too, like whatever was in my pockets - leatherman, cell phone, camera, trail
                guide as you say etc. For those things I have a waterproof stuff sack. I
                have length of orange spectra line that runs from my head up to the loop in
                the ridge line where it attaches to the suspension and then along the ridge
                line to where I can reach it. It is attached with a taughtline hitch to the
                ridge line. When I put my stuff in the sack, I then push the sack up into
                the corner of the hammock and pull the hitch down along the ridge line to
                keep the bag from sliding down and hitting me in the head. The bag also
                serves to hold other stuff up there that I don't want just yet, like my
                blanket on warm evenings that I'll wake up and put on once I and the evening
                have cooled off. I just leave a little room behind the bag and stuff the
                blanket into the hole it creates. To get at the stuff I just slide the knot
                up and the bag slides down and hits me on the head.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Yeah, I use that system, too.

                  My biggest problem is in the morning when I forget to slide the knot up
                  and want to pack up the hammock. My arms just aren't long enough to get
                  the stuff out without getting back into the hammock. And we all know
                  how risky that can be...

                  CL

                  Carey Parks wrote:
                  > I find the little bag that came with my HH Expedition to be good for that
                  > small stuff, and there's a couple clips. But I tend to have other things
                  > too, like whatever was in my pockets - leatherman, cell phone, camera, trail
                  > guide as you say etc. For those things I have a waterproof stuff sack. I
                  > have length of orange spectra line that runs from my head up to the loop in
                  > the ridge line where it attaches to the suspension and then along the ridge
                  > line to where I can reach it. It is attached with a taughtline hitch to the
                  > ridge line. When I put my stuff in the sack, I then push the sack up into
                  > the corner of the hammock and pull the hitch down along the ridge line to
                  > keep the bag from sliding down and hitting me in the head. The bag also
                  > serves to hold other stuff up there that I don't want just yet, like my
                  > blanket on warm evenings that I'll wake up and put on once I and the evening
                  > have cooled off. I just leave a little room behind the bag and stuff the
                  > blanket into the hole it creates. To get at the stuff I just slide the knot
                  > up and the bag slides down and hits me on the head.
                • Richard Perlman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 6, 2007
                    I've been down to the low 20's with an old style Speer Peapod (700 fill
                    and sewn-thru) lined with a Jacks'R'Better
                    Shenandoah quilt. On top was an old style Speer TopBlanket (700 fill
                    and sewn-thru).
                    I was wearing my hiking pants, l/s poly base layer top and a
                    BackpackingLight.com Cocoon top and bottom. Wow that stuff is warm!
                    Nothing beats exiting your hammock in the middle of the night wearing
                    your sleeping bag!

                    Rich