Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 4, 2007
      I like the idea of the "scratch and sniff" sample.

      When I took the kids on a long road trip without hubby, I'd leave a Polaroid
      (Goes back several years, huh?) picture of how we looked the day we left.
      An idential shot went into the ar's glove ompartment. Kids change fast and
      even hair color/cut can change one's appearance signigficantly. I also left
      our itinerary, my car license #. My final "coup des gras" was to dress the
      boys similarly each day. Everyone would wear say, navy blue shorts with a
      red and blue T-shirt. The T's didn't have to match, just be of the same
      color scheme. I was figuring if one went missing, I'd have a very recent
      picture on hand and I could push a still found kid to the forefront and say
      the other was "dressed like this." Who knows what one will remember in a
      panic? A side benefit was that when we stopped to do laundry, I didn't have
      a lot to worry about with sorting clothes...

      I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a few pics of me with
      gear and also without my backpack, but dressed for the trail-no make-up,
      maybe tousled hair, too. You know, as I really look after hiking a few
      days, not the presentable, made-up city look. It is OK if people don't
      recognize me from one place to the other... Put those pictures into that
      bag with my "smell" and maybe stuff that into the freezer. Heck, put in a
      hair sample with root end, too. It could make the search and possibly body
      ID easier. No one likes to think about these things, but family survivors
      deserve to know...

      Re: Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills
      Posted by: "pure mahem" pure_mahem@... pure_mayhem

      Date: Mon Dec 3, 2007 3:49 pm ((PST))

      This may seem a little weird but I remember when I was a kid they said that
      before you leave you should do a couple of things. leave the itenarary. take
      piece of cloth and rub it under your arms and behind your ears and if
      possible
      wipe some sweat off your brow with it and put it in a ziploc bag. take a
      large
      fluffy towel and lay a piece of alluminum foil over it and leave the
      footprints
      of the shoes you'll be wearing on it. Then leave this with a friend or
      family
      member so it can aid in finding you if you do get lost and need rescue
      people to
      look for you. Personally I usually just tell people where I'm going and when
      expect to be back, if it's a long trip I do the itenarary. I would probably
      do
      the other two if I wasn't going to be back for a week or more.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.