Re: [Hammock Camping] Survival/emergency topics, was Solar Stills

  • Linda Ellis
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 3, 2007
      --- Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      > I once had a midnight group of deer wander across the wooded hillside in
      > Shenandoah park where a friend and I were hammock camping along the
      > trail. I heard a buck stomping the ground and snorting at me when he
      > discovered I was camping along a river in Ohio. A squirrel once spent an
      > afternoon jibbering at me from the overhead branches when I took a nap
      > in the hammock. At home, my cat sometimes rubs the outside of the
      > hammock or jumps into the hammock with me when I have the hammock set up
      > in the back yard. That's about it in several hundred hammock nights. No
      > bears, no lions, no porcupines (not enough time up north for that yet)
      > and no dogs.
      >
      > Ditto that in tents.
      >
      > I have had few animal experiences in shelters. There was a supper time
      > bear trying to get to some suspended packs once. A bat flew through the
      > shelter several times in the Smoky Mountains one night. Mice in
      > abundance everywhere in shelters of course. Hornets in one shelter. And
      > a goat tried to attack me at a shelter just south of Rockfish Gap in
      > Virginia during a lunchtime break.

      Thank you! This is helpful, knowing that I may be overthinking the animal thing. I still plan on
      being prepared with bear spray and other legal alternatives, because you do hear about these
      things happening, but it's nice to know it's not a major problem...

      Linda
      The Truly Educated Never Graduate
    • Jamie D.
      Message 68 of 68 , Dec 18, 2007
        Yep, a copious amount of clean water used to flush a wound (at
        pressure if possible) is really all you need. some studies suggest
        it's even potentially more destructive to the injured tissue to use
        peroxide or other anit-bacterial cleaning agents.

        Huh, good old mother nature provided H2O, how about that.

        Another thing I find really interesting is that according to the
        rescue peeps I've talked to most rescues occur within a 72 hour
        period. That has changed the way I look at my "survival" kit.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for the info I will definately add the women's sanitary pad
        and remove the towlettes now that I know this. The reason I went with
        clorox as a water treatment is that I remember reading in one of the
        outdoor magazines or survival shows that overdosing iodine can be
        potentially deadly where as the clorox has a bit more of a higher
        fudge factor. another thing I thought of is that since I carry the
        alcohol couldn't I dilute a bit of the gel in a bit of water and come
        up with an applicalble antiseptic if needed? For the most part I guess
        I always figured that I would just use my treated water as a flush if
        I needed one.