Re: Hammock Camping reality seting in

  • Reilly
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 17, 2003
      Chet,
      I certainly may not be the most experienced on this list to respond to your questions but I am willing to share my limited experience.
      First, the HH does take a bit of practice getting into.  I spend some time making sure the position of the pad and sleeping bag in the HH are more or less where they will be once I am in the sleeping bag.  Then I crawl in the HH, being careful not to disrupt the position of the pad and sleeping bag as best I can.  I go in butt first.  This usually works with only a minimal amount of scooting up toward the top of the HH.  Once in, when I turn or roll, I try to do it with my body inside the sleeping bag and not turn or roll the whole bag with me.  If you turn the whole bag the pad tends to get 'un-positioned' beneath you.
      So far I have been warm enough using a 20 degree REI subKilo with a Mt. Washington pad.  But then again, I am a wimp and do not camp in the winter--it's near zero outside of Boston tonight!!!!
      Good luck to you.  The comfort of the HH is certainly worth spending some time tweaking your system.
      KR

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 17, 2003
          Message
          Hi Chet,

          I have a Hennessy Hammock which I am gear testing for Backpackgeartest.org     url is:   http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
          This was a new venture for me. I do not have any problem getting in the hammock.  If the weather is mild then I use my sleeping bag as a quilt with a foot pocket (do not use a mummy) and possibly my Mt. Washington 3/4 Pad, depending on the temperature.  The sleeping bag is no problem to throw over you as a quilt. I usually put it in first,  push it up to the head end.
          The Pad I put in and just fold a quarter of it up, then going backwards into the opening, I sit on the pad, flip my legs up the and the hammock closes and I also fold down the pad at this time.  No problems here.

          Now for colder weather, here is my set up:  I take a Large Windshield Reflector and my 3/4 Mt. Washington Pad and my WM Ultralight good to 25degrees F. Again used as a quilt.  I also wear two layers on my bottom half, first Capline long underwear plus a pair of fleece Pants, On the top I wear longsleeve Capiline Underwear, Patagonia Expedition top Underwear and my GoLite "Coal Parka" and hat and gloves.I also wear heavy socks and my down booties. I am very good to 25degrees in this set up in the mountains and in a snowstorm.  I have no problem putting the Windshield Reflector and the Mt. Washington Pad in the Hammock first and go in as described in the first para.  Just fold up the bottom quarter of both and unfold as you swing your knees up.  Everything seems to stay in place as I move around. I sleep diagonally in the Hennessy Hammock and sleep on my side.

          I also have the hammock set up on my patio and have been trying to figure out ways to sleep at colder temperatures around
          12 degrees.  We live in Idaho in the mountains.  With all the clothing I describe, in a tent on the ground, I would be very warm.
          However, the problem here in the hammock is the cold coming up under you.  Even in your sleeping bag, you compress all the down and it is not a good insulator under your body..I am still searching.

          Cheers,   Marge (the old gal).

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 17, 2003
            > Cheers, Marge (the old gal).

            HA! I was going to answer Chet's question, but I couldn't do any better
            than Marge did. Nice to see you here old gal...

            Shane
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 17, 2003
              Message
              I expect that most of you know who I am because I'm a loudmouth know-it-all on several lists.  For more information as it pertains to my background in hammocking, and for a really cool article that should be published sooner or later, check this out:

              Shane
            • Chet Clocksin

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 18, 2003
                  Chet,
                  No problem with questions...I learn something new every day from this list (and some of it even works for me ;)
                  My Mt. Washington pad is 20" x 60"  There's been a lot of discussion about wider pads.  It is sort of narrow but has kept me warm so far so I haven't replaced it.
                  In terms of getting into the HH when your bag and pad are already in there.  Some people recommend folding everything in half.  I don't do this because I find it disrupts the positioning of my pad (I can always 'scooch' the bag around).  I move everything off the slit a bit, just enough for me to get in.  Once in, I lay down and pull the pad and bag a few inches back to reposition them directly in the middle and over the slit.  Yes, I am on top of the bag to some extent, although I have folded the top part down at an angle, like turning back the covers on your bed.  Then you just stick your feet in and fold the top of the bag over you.
                  Keep those questions coming.
                  and let me know how you like the rain fly.  I have an older version of the HH with a smaller rain fly (10' x 6' ) and was thinking of ordering a larger size (10' x 8.8').  Haven't had any rain problems or anything, but I think I would like to luxury of cooking under the fly.
                  KR

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 18, 2003
                    Message
                    Marge,
                    I know this is a question that gets asked again and again, but anyway...
                    do you put your windshield reflector under your pad or between your pad and your bag (or something else)
                    I talked to Tom H. a while back and he said the reflector pad should be as close to your body as possible if you are wearing some kind of insulating clothing, like fleece.  I haven't tried his suggestion yet, but I respect the guy's knowledge, however, it seems like the reflector should be between the pad and bag.
                    KR

                  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 18, 2003
                      Hi Shane

                      I highly recommend viewing Shaens instructions on tying the
                      hammock. It should work with any rope/tree strap method reguardles
                      of hammock brand.

                      Shan your intro was funny. Made me think of a particular Andy
                      episode. Andy and Aunt Bee are talking about how Barny thinks he is
                      an expert on every subject but isn't. Barny walks in the room and
                      catches the tail end of the conversation. Ask who they were talking
                      about. Andy say you wouln't know him. Barny says how he can't stand
                      this type of guy either. Benard Milton Fyfe, my altime favorite TV
                      charector.

                      Coy Boy

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                      <shane@t...> wrote:
                      > MessageI expect that most of you know who I am because I'm a
                      loudmouth
                      > know-it-all on several lists. For more information as it pertains
                      to my
                      > background in hammocking, and for a really cool article that
                      should be
                      > published sooner or later, check this out:

                      http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyham
                      mock.ht

                      > Shane
                    • Marge Prothman
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 18, 2003
                        Message
                        Reilly,
                        Now, that is the one thing I have not tried, the reflector next to my body, I have it in first and then the Pad next to me.

                        I will try it here in the yard just as soon as the night temps come up to about 25 F.  Right now at 8.a.m. it is 10F.  I also
                        would like a wider pad, but maybe with the reflector on top it might make a difference.  I do not want to get any heavier
                        in my pack weight, and the two, Mt.Wash.Pad and the reflector, do not make much difference in my pack weight.

                        I am still learning.

                        Cheers,   Marge

                          The other thing I want to try when it gets warmer here (outside of Boston  is also around 10F this morning with frozen pipes!) is to try just using the reflector pad under the sleeping bag.
                          I keep wondering, if the issue is just stopping the cold wind from hitting you from below, then all one really needs is a ultralight windproof reflector inside the HH and just put your bag on top of that or sleep directly on that with your bag on top of you.  I keep looking in the fabric store for something but haven't found it yet.
                          Are you still reviewing the HH for Jerry?  If so, can't wait to read more!
                          KR

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 18, 2003
                            Message
                            Hi Reilly,
                            Yes, I have one more report, due next month - the final one on BGT.
                             I tried a 1/4" foam pad, I cut it down to size, wide and long, but it crinkled too much for me.  I also purchased some "wind block" fleece, but have not figured out what to do with it yet. I have my hammock tucked in the corner of my patio with two sides protected by an El shape of the house, so do not think I get any real wind, just the cold air.  Some one, maybe Shane, told me to hang the fleece on the outside of the hammock, under and up the sides. Will try that next, but I have to figure out how to re-tie it once I get in the hammock.

                            cheers,  Marge
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 19, 2003
                              Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. I ended up with a cheap Coleman "ultralight" (their words, not mine)foam pad that is 24 x 72 x 5/8". I then bought a Windshield reflector (24 x 60) for 6 bucks that has the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character on one side, and silver reflector surface on the other. I put the reflector, silver side up, on top of the pad, then unzipped my mummy bag all the way to the foot box, climbed in and put my feet in the bottom of the bag and used the rest of it like a blanket. Other than some acrobatics getting in and keeping the pad situated on the diagonal, it worked very well, and the reflector never slipped off the pad. I could actually feel the warmth radiating from the reflector pad. I didn't spend the night in it, but did lay around for a while in 14 degrees, and I was fairly warm. I just wish both the pad and the reflector were a bit wider on the top half. I may buy another pad and reflector and cut them up to make "wings" (strips about 10 inches wide and 24 inches long) and duct tape them to the sides of my original pad, giving me a wider base for the top portion of the pad/reflector system, and also being "hinged", it may conform to the inside of the hammock where necessary. One other thing worth mentioning is the pad I bought is NOT the most flexible, and maybe a little higher quality pad or even a thinner pad would make it easier to use as far as folding up on an angle to get in the hammock. Its also a VERY bulky pad, and unless I cut some of the length off of it, I seems way too big to attach to my lightweight pack set-up, so I may have to go back to the drawing board to come up with something that works and that I can actually carry on a hike.
                              Chet

                              David Chinell wrote:
                              I use 1/4-inch evazote, 3/8-inch closed cell, and that Mountain Hardwear
                              combination pad I keep mentioning. But so far only one at a time, not yet in
                              combination or layers.

                              I just spent all afternoon trying to get multiple pads arranged in my
                              Tropical hammock, but it's a BIG pain in the cold spot.

                              So for tonight I'm going with a long closed-cell pad between the hammock
                              layers and a chunk of evazote big enough to wrap my shoulders inside the
                              hammock -- I'll be pulling it around me after I get in -- like a shawl?

                              All this is in conjuntion with the Speer Pea Pod, and the more layers of pad
                              I managed to jiggle in there, the tighter the Pea Pod got around me, which
                              compressed the insulation and defeated the purpose of the outside loft.

                              It sure is handy being able to test this stuff in the back yard.

                              Bear

                            • o123david <o123david@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 19, 2003
                                Chet Clocksin wrote:
                                >I ended up with a cheap Coleman... foam pad that is 24 x 72 x 5/8".
                                >I then bought a Windshield reflector (24 x 60)
                                >I put the reflector... on top of the pad, then unzipped my mummy bag
                                >all the way to the foot box, climbed in and put my feet in the
                                >bottom of the bag and used the rest of it like a blanket.
                                >it worked very well

                                >I may buy another pad and reflector and cut them up to make "wings"
                                >(strips about 10 inches wide and 24 inches long) and duct tape them
                                >to the sides of my original pad, giving me a wider base for the top
                                >portion of the pad/reflector system, and also being "hinged", it may
                                >conform to the inside of the hammock

                                Your pad is unusually thick at 5/8" which is great, probably why you
                                stayed warm.
                                The pads I find are usually thinner and it seems that more insulation
                                is needed, especially under the center of my body.
                                I wonder if you could both increase the amount of insulation under
                                the center where it most needed and make things wider at the upper
                                part of your body where width is most needed by crossing two pads
                                under your upper body and cutting at least one of them to the proper
                                size?
                                This might make a setup that would be easier to carry strapped the
                                back of your pack.

                                What I'd like to try for temperatures in single digits is three pads,
                                one made from one of Oware's 40"x60"x1/4" pads and the other two made
                                from a second Oware pad.
                                The first Oware pad would be cut wide as appropriate, to protect you
                                from the cold both under you and from the sides.
                                The other Oware pad would be cut in half lengthwise. One part forms
                                the typical pad that goes under you lengthwise. The other part would
                                be cut differently and form the second part of a cross.
                                The three pads would be placed one top of each other in the hammock
                                in whatever order was most comfortable and stable.
                                This would place the greatest thickness where it is most needed,
                                under your torso. It would in effect be wider where needed, under the
                                upper part of your body. And since the pad is thin and flexibly you
                                could fold the big piece lengthwise, all could be rolled, and they
                                could easily be carried either in your pack or attached to the back
                                of your pack.

                                I hope this idea makes sense to somebody. Please let me know if it
                                works. --David
                              • wsdhnet
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 29, 2003
                                  Hi everyone,

                                  Found this group in a roundabout way through the BackPackingLight
                                  website.

                                  I started backpacking in 2000 when I attempted to thru-hike the AT
                                  with a 52 lb pack and a bad knee. DIdn't work out too well. Since
                                  then I have been trying to lighten my pack and find a more
                                  comfortable sleeping system.

                                  My first attempt at hammocks was a $19.95 "Army jungle hammock" that
                                  was made out of canvas, had a roof and bugnetting. I set it up in
                                  the yard, tried to get into it and was immediately dispatched to the
                                  ground. I had a really hard time getting out of it and if I had had
                                  a knife I would have cut my way out. Needless to say, that hammock
                                  is in the pile of shame along with most of hte other heavy stuff I
                                  had purchased. I tried several other "sleep on the ground" systems
                                  but wasn't happy with any of them.

                                  In 2001, I did some more research on the backpacking tarps on the
                                  market and was really limited to a choice between the HH or the Clark
                                  Jungle Hammock. I have problems with claustrophobia and the HH
                                  didn't seem like a good fit for me given the entry and exit port. I
                                  really needed something I could get into and out of QUICK! I bought
                                  the Clark and proceeded up to the AT and hiked from Woody Gap to the
                                  shelter right before Blood Mtn. I was the only one there so had my
                                  choice of trees. That was the best night of sleep I ever had on the
                                  trail. I spent a total of 15 hours in the hammock and woke up with
                                  no sore spots, no sore muscles and was ready to hike back to the car.

                                  I recently sold the Clark and have just ordered a kit from Ed. I
                                  already have an 8 x 10 silnylon tarp and will be making the hammock
                                  for my upcoming trip from Stecoah Gap to Damascus starting May 26,
                                  2003. Can't wait to get on the trail.

                                  Sorry for the long post,

                                  John
                                  Papa John
                                  GA -> ME 2000 -> 2005?
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 29, 2003
                                    Message
                                    Thanks for the update John. You already know that camping hammocks are a better way, now you're on your way! That AT awaits....Ed

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                                      Hello!

                                      I'm a hammock camping wannabe.  I've been backpacking for six years, here in Indiana and section hiking the AT.  I've never been real comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so I want to give hammocks a try.

                                      I have a Hennessy Ultralite that I've slept in once, but I didn't take it on my last trip with me because I feel I need more practice setting it up.  It did keep me dry even in the rain but it just seemed to sag and I ended up with my butt just a few inches from the ground.  So I need more practice, and may possibly make my own hammock from Ed Speer's directions for comparison, to see which one works better for me.  I don't have two trees here at home to work with, so it may take a few trips down the the Knobstone to work out all the bugs.

                                      Anyway, I'm glad I found this group.  I'm sure I can learn a lot from all of you.

                                      Kathy K
                                      aka Ragamuffin
                                      Indianapolis

                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                                        Message

                                        Hammock Camping  (the book)  ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                                        The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                                        also FREE Reports!  FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!

                                        Speer Hammocks, Inc
                                        Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                                        34 Clear Creek Road
                                        Marion, NC 28752-6407
                                        828.724.4444

                                        Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                                        free online newsletter

                                        Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                                        a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                                          Message
                                          Welcome Kathy--glad to have you on board. Sounds like soon you will have all the experience you need to be a hammock regular--it really is much easier on the AT than ground or shelter sleeping. Maybe all you need is to try pitchching that hammock a few different ways just to learn the differences between each setup. Quickly you'll have the 'hang' of it! Once you do, you'll never leave it at home again!   Of course should you wish to try one of my hammocks or a kit, I can fix you right up.  Anyway, welcome again and I hope you've had a chance to check some of the archinves on the List--you should find plenty of answere there....Ed
                                          Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                                            Message

                                            Kathy,

                                            Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up Shane’s video, study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have to practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them down. I found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I didn’t. It’s a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and over the line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you have it right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides a full night’s sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday with my paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get a HH. I told him to get Ed’s book, and then make a decision. I like Ed’s hammocks and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the first time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or rocky or muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you slept great! It happens to me all the time!

                                            Marsanne

                                            http://www.hammockcamping.com

                                            I'm a hammock camping wannabe.  I've been backpacking for six years, here in Indiana and section hiking the AT.  I've never been real comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so I want to give hammocks a try.

                                            Kathy K

                                            aka Ragamuffin

                                            Indianapolis

                                          • Coy
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                                              Hi Marsanne

                                              I know all about forgetting how to tie knots. Especially when you
                                              get in the woods and the handy web page, Shanes vidio, or Dave W are
                                              not around to show you step by step. I finally figgured out how to
                                              remember the figgure 8 after getting it right, then wrong a few
                                              different times. Last say you have put the free end through both
                                              loops in the tree hugger strap. You now have one line going back to
                                              the hammock (standing line) and another hanging down a few feet. no
                                              matter which side the free end is on go over the standing line (the
                                              one headed back to the hammock) then pull the rope in a C or backward
                                              C (depending on the side you started on) around the standing line.
                                              Now go over the C making it an O. Continue over the place where the
                                              tree huggers meet, straight down and out to the front again. You
                                              now are back to where you were the first time. Repeat this 3 times
                                              and it will hold under just about any load. I'm sure youve masterd it
                                              by now but this could help sombody else.

                                              Coy Boy

                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
                                              > Kathy,
                                              > Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up
                                              Shane's video,
                                              > study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have
                                              > practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them
                                              down. I
                                              > found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I
                                              didn't. It's
                                              > a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and
                                              over the
                                              > line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you
                                              have it
                                              > right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides
                                              a full
                                              > night's sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday
                                              with my
                                              > paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get
                                              a HH. I
                                              > told him to get Ed's book, and then make a decision. I like Ed's
                                              hammocks
                                              > and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the
                                              first
                                              > time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or
                                              rocky or
                                              > muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you
                                              slept great!
                                              > It happens to me all the time!
                                              > Marsanne

                                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1297tjirv/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=
                                              groups
                                              > /S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1083614102/A=1874383/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
                                              ldn/*htt
                                              > p://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
                                              >

                                              > _____

                                              subject=Unsubscribe>

                                              Service
                                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                            • Kathy
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                                                Hi Marsanne,

                                                Shane's video is great!  I actually had printed out his pictures and
                                                took it in the back yard and went over it time and again, and then
                                                when I realized my stand wasn't high enough and asked my friend
                                                if I could "hang out" in her yard that night, I had it with me then too.
                                                I'm fairly certain I was doing it right.  (Glad I found Shane's web site
                                                because the Hennessy drawings just didn't help me any!)

                                                I found a forum somewhere too that said the rope used with the
                                                Hennessy's tends to stretch the first 3-4 times you use it.  Anyway,
                                                I'll check the photos one more time :) but I am going to make
                                                a Speer as well.  I've been on Quest's website and it will only
                                                cost me about $50 or so to make one.  I already have an 8X10
                                                tarp.

                                                I can't wait until I do get the "hang" of this.  No more hard
                                                floors, no more rocks or roots or sloping tent sites!  No more
                                                shelter mice.  Yes, I will be an easy convert!

                                                Kathy

                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                                                  Thanks, Ed!  I picked up your book at Rainbow Springs
                                                  during my last outing.  I'm going to order the materials
                                                  tomorrow from Quest.  I already have a tarp so it should
                                                  only cost me around $50.  I'm a decent seamstress
                                                  when I have the time and inclination to make something,
                                                  and your design is very simple, it should go together
                                                  rather easily.

                                                  Stay tuned!
                                                  Kathy

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                                                    Message
                                                    Kathy, here's a link to our FREE detailed sewing instructions--you should find them useful for making your own hammock from scratch. Best of luck with your project...Ed  Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                                                        Thanks!  I like details.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

                                                        Kathy

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , May 9, 2004
                                                          Kathy wrote:

                                                          > Hello!
                                                          >
                                                          > I'm a hammock camping wannabe. I've been backpacking for six years,
                                                          > here in Indiana and section hiking the AT. I've never been real
                                                          > comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so
                                                          > I want to give hammocks a try.
                                                          >

                                                          > Anyway, I'm glad I found this group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from
                                                          > all of you.
                                                          >
                                                          > Kathy K
                                                          > aka Ragamuffin
                                                          > Indianapolis

                                                          Welcome Kathy! We all have a lot to learn from one another.

                                                          Rick
                                                        • Kathy
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , May 11, 2004
                                                            Thanks, Rick!   This is a great place to learn from one another.

                                                            Hammock update:  I've gotten the four edges of my new
                                                            hammock hemmed, and will start with the velcro tonight.

                                                            Kathy