Re: [Hammock Camping] Will I ever get better at setting up?

  • spunky2_2004
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
      Excellent advice. Thanks! I think I have a feel for the space I need
      between trees for my Clark, but I'm still getting a feel for the
      space I need for my Trek Light double.

      I bought some industrial strength autolocking tie-downs from Northern
      Tool. They are 12ft long and 2 inches wide. They work great because I
      can adjust to any length and I connect the hook ends directly to the
      hammock at the knot. I still wrap the tie-downs around the tree like
      I would a tree hugger hanging system.

      They have a 2000lb breaking strength and a 1500lb working load limit.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tod Massa <todmassa@...> wrote:

      > Also try straps instead of rope for your hammock. Add a small
      snaplink to one end of your centerline for your tarp. Develop a
      strategy for quickly identifying trees appropriately far apart and
      of the right size. Develop a process to follow each time that is
      efficient, that includes packing, unpacking, and repacking.

      ________

      > Ain't got no mo' mojo, but I got plenty o' banjo.

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
        Not usually. If raining, tarp would go up first.

        CL

      • amendment2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
          I always set up the tarp first. Just habit.

        • Richard Perlman
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 6, 2007
            I do pretty much the same thing, but I set up the fly just how I like
            it, then break it down, leaving
            the stakes in the ground. They're painted with a hi visibility orange
            paint and very easy to see.

            This eliminates the need to find a suitable spot for the stakes
            (sometimes very rocky or very soft ground presents a challenge you don't
            need, in the dark, when it's starting to rain) and tie off taughtline
            hitches.

            Rich